The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 73716 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1110 on: October 10, 2019, 02:46:45 PM »
Jonn,

1.) Looks like the DVD is out of print, but can be found for various prices on eBay or Amazon secondhand sellers, anywhere from $7.80 to $319.00.

2.) Looks like someone's posted the entire thing on youtube in three parts.

3.) NetFlix isn't showing it available.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1111 on: October 12, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
Lyle, I did watch Part 3 of the You Tube postings. Which was all I cared about anyway. I'm not sure I liked this version any better than the current one. I will say, in the current one, I never liked all those close-ups of her face and those constant pouty lips, it was odd to me, and in the YT one, that Fat Suit they put on her for those scenes, hilariously OFF.........plus she looked like she was wearing flock wallpaper, just waaaaay off, those scenes, and I guess they did something to make her face look fuller? Who knows?
Oh, I didn't know Judy's 4th husband was Gay, Mark Herron, did you? So, Judy had a Gay husband, and so did Liza? Really? Or did Liza have TWO Gay husbands? I forget.......... :o ;D

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1112 on: October 12, 2019, 10:42:22 AM »

________

Nancy, I assume because you posted about it that you saw The Gorilla movie? I've heard of it before,
but never seen it. Is it any good?

Didn't see it, The Film Detective posted a clip on Instagram, looked pretty funny for the times.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1113 on: October 12, 2019, 02:28:15 PM »
First, I have not seen JUDY yet, I am going to see it in a week. I have several friends who have seen it and they have liked this film for the most part.

But who can really play Judy Garland? My answer is in the 4 hour movie (shown on two night on TV) from 2001, officially titled: Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows.

That film cast Tammy Blanchard as a young Judy Garland and then about a quarter of the way in Judy Davis appears as Judy Garland grown up and each of them were superb, Davis in particular. As the Variety reviewer at the time wrote: "Seldom in a biographical television made-for does a star so expertly inhabit another's skin as Judy Davis does here with Judy Garland."  BOTH of these actresses won an Emmy for their roles. I have not seen it in a long time, but Judy Davis's performance still sticks in my mind as something great. So that's my answer.
Judy Davis ? Can't say I have heard of the lady.

Sad to say...but getting  "big stars" to make this kind of movie...probably makes
them believe it will be a success. A lot of extremely good stage productions of plays
 made into movies....a brilliant but lesser known actor has had to give up the role
and make  way for a "big star" .
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #1114 on: October 12, 2019, 02:37:46 PM »
I don't know why ... with still feeling very tender around the edges...
I watched "The Way We Were". Yes...the tears came.  :'(

I am assuming everyone knows the movie and who was in it:
Streisand and Redford.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1115 on: October 12, 2019, 03:26:02 PM »

She was born in Heath's home town of Perth, Australia. Her first, or one of her first, films was the Australian film My Brilliant Career in 1979 which was extremely popular.

She's always moved around from films to TV movies to TV series. In films she did a great amount of them in the 80's and 90's such as A Passage to India, Impromptu (playing female author George Sand), Barton Fink, five Woody Allen movies (Alice, Husbands and Wives, Deconstructing Harry, Celebrity and 2012's To Rome with Love), Where Angels Fear to Tread and The Dressmaker.

For her role in Husbands and Wives she was nominated for an Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globe and the NY Film Critics Circle awards and she won 8 other awards for this performance. She also was Oscar nominated for A Passage to India.

Recently she played Hedda Hopper in the TV series Feud: Bette & Joan.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1116 on: October 12, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »
I don't know why ... with still feeling very tender around the edges...
I watched "The Way We Were". Yes...the tears came.  :'(

I am assuming everyone knows the movie and who was in it:
Streisand and Redford.
OMG!! Another TWWW fan!! lol....I think with a few scenes put BACK in the film, Streisand would have won another Oscar for this role. Who knows? She and Redford for sure had some on-screen chemistry, the thing that MADE this film and story work. It's a Classic for sure........the Music and the lush scenery, perfect IMHO, you understand!  ;D.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #1117 on: October 12, 2019, 04:47:38 PM »

Perhaps because she has always rejected the idea of becoming a celebrity. she describes herself as an actress. She has played a very, very long list of roles in films, TV and on the stage.

I last saw her in a 2018 Australian miniseries, Mystery Road, in which she plays Emma James, the officer in charge of a police station in a small outback town. Her brother runs the huge family cattle station nearby. She plays opposite the excellent Aboriginal actor, Aaron Pedersen, a detective from another town whose investigation challnges her.

I found her performance very impressive.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #1118 on: October 12, 2019, 06:10:42 PM »
She was born in Heath's home town of Perth, Australia. Her first, or one of her first, films was the Australian film My Brilliant Career in 1979 which was extremely popular.

She's always moved around from films to TV movies to TV series. In films she did a great amount of them in the 80's and 90's such as A Passage to India, Impromptu (playing female author George Sand), Barton Fink, five Woody Allen movies (Alice, Husbands and Wives, Deconstructing Harry, Celebrity and 2012's To Rome with Love), Where Angels Fear to Tread and The Dressmaker.

For her role in Husbands and Wives she was nominated for an Oscar, BAFTA, Golden Globe and the NY Film Critics Circle awards and she won 8 other awards for this performance. She also was Oscar nominated for A Passage to India.

Recently she played Hedda Hopper in the TV series Feud: Bette & Joan.

Oh! Yes. I know who she is now. Especially the last one you mentioned
"Bette and Joan". Lots of great actors have come from Perth !
Thanks for the info.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1119 on: October 13, 2019, 01:33:05 PM »
I watched Devil's Advocate last night...well, most of it because I'm old and can't stay up that late anymore, and I have seen it before.  I like it, but it scores low on Rotten Tomatoes (67%) and the critics didn't like it much either (60%). 

Aspiring Florida defense lawyer Kevin Lomax (Keanu Reeves) accepts a high-powered position at a New York law firm headed by legal shark John Milton (Al Pacino). As Kevin moves up in the firm's ranks, his wife, Mary Ann (Charlize Theron), has several frightening, mystical experiences that begin to warp her sense of reality. With the stakes getting higher with each case, Kevin quickly learns that his mentor is planning a far greater evil than simply winning without scruples.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1120 on: October 13, 2019, 03:01:21 PM »
I remember seeing that movie.  I liked it.  I'm surprised of the low scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1121 on: October 13, 2019, 03:05:37 PM »
Ahhh, what do they know?  :)

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #1122 on: October 14, 2019, 06:31:41 AM »
Has anyone seen "El Camino" about Jesse Pinkman' s ( God, I love that character) life before BB? It's a Netflix movie.
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1123 on: October 14, 2019, 09:22:35 AM »
It's on my list, Elisa, I only need to stay awake after 9 and then I will watch it!

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #1124 on: October 14, 2019, 09:37:05 AM »
Maybe we can discuss it  this coming weekend? Still have a cold and plan to faint into my pillow around 10, frantically reading slash as has become my nightly habit. Last night I dreamt of the Twist family, not an all-pleasant experience...
You know somebody name a Jack?

"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always."