The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 434937 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1440 on: February 24, 2020, 03:26:02 PM »

Remember the movie Breaking Away?

The Wallis Annenberg Center in Beverly Hills is having a staged reading of the screenplay this week. Apparently the cast will be on bicycles. ? Or some of them at any rate. A group will also be playing selections from the score throughout.

Two of the original cast are participating, Dennis Christopher and Paul Dooley.

Wonder why they're doing this? The movie came out in 1979, 41 years ago! Dennis Christopher is my age! Paul Dooley...looking it up...is 92!

Maybe they should do it on walkers.  :laugh:

Just seems odd and out of the blue. But is certainly something different!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1441 on: February 24, 2020, 04:51:22 PM »

Wonder why they're doing this? The movie came out in 1979, 41 years ago! Dennis Christopher is my age! Paul Dooley...looking it up...is 92!

Odd, indeed. It's not like it's an important anniversary of the film. Last year they could have at least made it a "40th anniversary" event. But that sort of begs the question, Why are they doing this in the first place?

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #1442 on: February 25, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »

The Wallis Annenberg Center in Beverly Hills is having a staged reading of the screenplay this week. Apparently the cast will be on bicycles. ? Or some of them at any rate. A group will also be playing selections from the score throughout.

Two of the original cast are participating, Dennis Christopher and Paul Dooley.

Maybe they should do it on walkers.  :laugh:

I remember seeing it, inexplicably in NYC, on my first trip there. I don't remember much about the story but I do remember loving it. Why I went to see a movie (not screened at a wonderfully sleazy sex theatre) during my first visit to Manhattan is beyond me, but there you go. I can't imagine why they would remake it.

Last week I saw the French-Israeli film Synomymes by director Navad Lapid.. It won the Golden Bear at the Berlin Film Festival last year. It's a good if disorienting film about identity and how you can't really escape it, with lots of full frontal male nudity, which in this case is definitely a plus, lol!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/synonyms
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 08:26:50 PM by oilgun »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1443 on: February 25, 2020, 07:12:54 PM »
Baaawwwaaahhhaaaaa!!! Well, Gil, Full Frontal Nudity is NEVER bad, is it??!!  :P :laugh:

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #1444 on: February 25, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
Baaawwwaaahhhaaaaa!!! Well, Gil, Full Frontal Nudity is NEVER bad, is it??!!  :P :laugh:

Never. Try to get your hands on a copy of the French film Sauvage/Wild. It's the best gay film i saw last year.
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1445 on: February 26, 2020, 11:42:33 AM »
I can't imagine why they would remake it.

Just to be clear, what I was talking about is a staged reading of the screenplay, the film isn't being remade.

There was a Breaking Away TV series a year or so after the film came out and it was very good, but only lasted half a season. Two actors from the movie appeared in the series, Barbara Barrie, the mom, and Jackie Earl Haley. Vincent Gardenia played the father and Shaun Cassidy played Dennis Christopher's role. Shame it wasn't successful.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1446 on: February 26, 2020, 07:27:00 PM »
Never. Try to get your hands on a copy of the French film Sauvage/Wild. It's the best gay film i saw last year.
I should, I've seen some of it on YT, looks raw and fascinating to me!  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1447 on: March 10, 2020, 11:56:33 AM »

--Cabaret

Hadn't seen this in along time, so I borrowed my friend's Blu-ray and watched it this past weekend. Then I watched all of the extras on it and then watched the movie with the audio commentary.

Lots of talk about the movie being for adults and that's true, but to audiences now it seems to me they'd find it less provocative than it was in 1972. I just love it. Liza goes all in with her performance and she's such a delight in it.

I don't need to talk about the plot, it's a movie everyone knows I believe. I also like the stage versions of Cabaret. I got to see the wonderful Alan Cumming play the role of the Emcee on Broadway in 1998...a fantastic experience. When I first came to Hollywood in 1977 or '78 I saw Liza at the Greek Theatre and the second act began with her and Joel Grey performing some numbers from Cabaret including the Money Song, which was a treat.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1448 on: March 10, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »

--The Good Liar

Watched this last night. I recall Gattaca saw this in the theatres when it came out last November and wasn't too thrilled by it.

I loved watching the two leads, Ian McKellan and Helen Mirren together along with supporting performances by Jim Carter (Carson on Downtown Abbey) and a favorite here, Russell Tovey. I thought the film was entertaining and I had a nice evening watching it.

If anyone rents it, I recommend watching the 12 minutes of extra scenes on the disc that were cut out, simply because you'd see how the movie would've been altered had they been included! Kind of fascinating.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1449 on: March 10, 2020, 04:57:27 PM »
I'm going to see Ben Affleck's new film. Haven't really heard anything about it at all, but, don't shoot me, I've always been a fan of his!!  :o ;D ;)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1450 on: March 11, 2020, 06:53:05 AM »
I like him!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #1451 on: March 11, 2020, 08:59:53 AM »
Me too, Sara!  ;D ;D ;D..........it was kind of a 'dark/dreary' storyline, along with a lot of the scenes filmed in darker lighting. I liked it though, even though the storyline is one of those tried and true things, IMHO, you understand? Probably not for everyone, but, get this, the audience clapped when the credits rolled. Hmmmm? And a few people laughed out loud during it, including the guy next to me. Which, I might add, I had a pre-teen kid on one side of me, and this 'laugher' on the other, and the kid was a 'chomper' with is snacks and popcorn, and kept 'playing' with his soft drink cup and straw even though it was empty!! That plastic straw scraping sound of plastic against plastic, you know, sorta like fingernails on a chalkboard?? I almost got up and LEFT the movie.......I went to the evening showing, something I don't usually do, because if you go to the afternoon or early evening showings, you can get more choices of seating, preferably, for me, not right NEXT to someone!! haha.......but this one was nearly full. So, there you go........it's also one with those recliner seats, large seats and armrests, but the kid lopped over onto my armrest, had his blanket too.......in this theater a LOT of people show up in their lounging pajamas and blankets!! Not something I'd ever do, but whatever DRAWS the crowds in I guess.......I like the theater DARK and QUIET for the film......that's why I go........to escape!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1452 on: March 11, 2020, 09:27:58 AM »
What a pain that kid sounds!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1453 on: March 16, 2020, 02:29:56 PM »

--Yanks

I revisited this John Schlesinger directed movie that's one of my favorites with a new Blu-ray edition I bought for myself. It's a movie about three couples, the males American soldiers and the British women they meet there during the American invasion prior to D-Day. It's a great film that never really found an audience when it came out in 1979.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1454 on: March 19, 2020, 11:44:19 AM »
^^^

I've been reminded of this film all week. The lines to get into stores to try and buy items that are being rationed and such.