The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 158974 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2235 on: December 28, 2020, 06:53:44 AM »

Welcome, cara.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2236 on: December 28, 2020, 09:08:09 AM »
See, that's the thing with differing opinions/preferences when it chatting about Actors. I can't stand Meryl Streep on-screen, I'm sure she's a lovely decent human being, but I just don't care for her acting, or whatever. When she garnered the Oscar for Kramer vs Kramer, I could not believe it! I thought she was fake and terrible in that film, and very little screen time, as I recall. At any rate, you get the idea here, I find her extremely over-rated, but whatever, others simply LOVE anything she attempts. What can I say?  ???

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2237 on: December 29, 2020, 09:59:20 PM »
OK, my head is now spinning.

Sounds like the Barbie-verse is larger and more complicated than even the Marvel Universe. ...

Yeah, who would've ever thought there was so much going on with Barbie?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:06:28 PM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2238 on: December 29, 2020, 10:04:43 PM »
I'm not exactly a NK fan, but I like her a lot and was intrigued by many if not most of her movies.

I really liked Nicole Kidman's performance in Alejandro Amenabar's horror film "THE OTHERS" (2001).  Fionnula Flanagan's performance in that movie was also quite good as well.  It's not really scary movie to me, its actually rather sad in some ways, but I did like the fact that it takes place just a few short years after World War II.  There are interesting religious and supernatural themes in the movie.  Its sort of like M. Night Shyamalan's "THE SIXTH SENSE" (1999).  I just found out that in April of 2020, Sentient Entertainment obtained the rights to and plans to produce a remake of "THE OTHERS", and that the events of the remake will take place in the present day.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 10:15:09 PM by B.W. »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2239 on: December 30, 2020, 08:21:38 AM »
I watched The Way We Were last night. I know I've seen it a few times over the years, but this was the first time I caught a blooper in it! haha.........I never watch films for those, but this one was in the classic final scene outside the Plaza Hotel in NYC. I won't tell you what it was though. IMHO, most bloopers, or whatever you call them, happen when a single scene is filmed in segments or pieces, and then spliced together for the final product. Same with this scene, which in previous viewings I thought it was shot as one continuous scene, not so. This one was just a costume blooper, and I can't believe I never noticed before........perhaps I HAVE viewed this film too many times?!

The other thing is, watching it on the small screen somehow changed the impact of the two main stars. In the theater they both seemed larger than Life! On the small screen, I got none of that impression. Nice, really. As you can tell, it's one of my Fav Streisand films!  :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2240 on: December 30, 2020, 11:27:35 AM »
I've always wanted to like The Way We Were more than I do.

For years, the director Sydney Pollock, wanted to do a sequel, and this was 2-3 decades later, with about an hour of unused footage and scenes cut out and use all that as flashback sequences to another story with the then present day Redford and Streisand. I Believe Redford was up for it, but Streisand is such a control oriented person (a cop!) I am not surprised it did not come to be. They should at least let us see all that footage, though!

About bloopers, sometimes they occur when they have a film pieced together and then edit it down further.

I rarely notice bloopers and never search them out, as once I see one, if it's a movie I enjoy watching over and over again, I always notice it again. I don't mind if it isn't a movie I'll probably see again.

If you look up the bloopers link on IMDB listings they always have some that are twisted to be bloopers, but aren't in the traditional sense. They'll especially use a historical reference as it couldn't have happened or they wouldn't have known. Those aren't really bloopers in my opinion. It's more supposition. I looked that up once on a movie and I've never used those links again.

But bloopers can be enjoyable, too!

Sometimes a blooper isn't noticed until decades after the film came out. When they went to colorize Casablanca in the 80's there was a scene where Ilsa talks about when she arrived on a train wearing a certain colored and particular outfit. When they went to find that scene in the film they discovered she was not wearing that same kind of outfit at all!

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #2241 on: December 30, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »
I always check the bloopers on Imdb after I have seen  the movie and wonder how people would notice. However I rarely watch a movie more than once. I cannot understand how people enjoy doing that. Then I mainly watch movies in the cinema and paying to see a movie twice would be beyond me. The exception are BBM which I watched 6 times (4 times in cinema) but have not watched for over 10 years now and the Lord of the Rings trilogy which I bring out every now and again but then I have read the books over 15 times.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2242 on: December 30, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »

I watched a number of my favorite holiday films over the last week.

A Christmas Story
Miracle on 34th Street
Holiday Affair

Desk Set (not a Christmas movie per se, but it has a 20-25 minute Christmas office party segment that's delightful, as is the whole film.)

I bought a Blu-Ray this year of Holiday Inn, the 75th Anniversary edition, which means that edition came out in 2017. It has the original b&w film, a newly colorized edition and the Broadway Revival from then as well (which has also been shown on PBS). I watched the colorized version. The Miracle on 34th Street I have also comes with a colorized version and I think that is extremely well done and I often prefer it lately. I wasn't as enthused with the Holiday Inn colorized version. It seemed like the colors were all toned down, sort of pastel like, and Christmas red & greens are really red & green. The July 4th firecracker number shoulda been colors-a-poppin', but it wasn't. So I was a bit disappointed in that one.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2243 on: December 30, 2020, 12:18:21 PM »

In 2017, Arrow Films put out a limited edition Blu-Ray of The Apartment that came with a 180 page hardbound book with essays about the film and dozens of pictures, etc. I didn't have a Blu-Ray player in 2017, so I wasn't so much aware of this, but The Apartment is one of my favorite films and it had been on my mind to watch recently and then it was on my mind to find that limited edition version with the book, especially because earlier this year I'd gotten a similar release of another Shirley MacLaine film I love, Sweet Charity.

The Apartment Blu-Ray itself was released the following year without the special edition book and packaging, so I could have just gotten that, but I love the film so much I decided to see if I could find one. It originally sold for $49.99. Amazon sellers were selling mostly used copies for $99.00 and up, with added amounts for shipping. And I found some on eBay like that, too. They were all selling them for amounts I really wasn't wanting to pay. Shipping ranged from $5.99 - $10 depending on where it was coming from.  Then I stumbled across two eBay sellers that were selling them for less, one I considered was on the east coast and selling a used copy for $52.99 + $5 shipping. The other was from central California (Clovis, near Fresno) and he was selling it for $59.99 and FREE shipping! And this one was advertised as a NEW copy still in the shrink wrap.

One needs to be aware of bootleg home media items sold on eBay (even sellers on Amazon). I felt good about that one, though, because I really doubted anyone was going to try and duplicate that enclosed book like that! So, I decided to give myself a Christmas present and treat myself to this that had recently been on my mind a whole lot. And getting the special edition which cold out immediately on release in 2017 and for only $10 more than it originally went for was a bonus, especially with no shipping charges.

Don't you always wonder how people have special limited editions like this when they've been out for three years? Do people buy them and hope to sell them off in a few years? I don't know, but this whole thing was like kismet. I got what I wanted and though I thought about it late in the month, I actually got it on the Tuesday before Christmas! I watched it the very night I got it and was not disappointed. The whole thing is spectacular, it was like watching it again for the first time. I even watched it again the next night!

For those that don't know the story, most of the film takes place from right before Christmas to New Year's!

After I watched this Blu-Ray the first time it occurred to me that Jack Lemmon's character, C.C. Baxter, whom they refer to as just Baxter throughout the film, that we never know what the C.C. stands for. I wondered what his name was. Seemed weird we'd never know, even in the credits. This must have been in the back of my mind watching it again soon after. In the beginning of the film, the Baxter character narrates opening footage explaining the city where he lives, and works, and what he does for a living and then where he lives and hints at what happens there. And at one point my ears perked up and I thought "what?" -- Did he just say his name? I scanned back and turned on the subtitles and sure enough, there's a line in the voice over where he says, "I'm C. C. Baxter, C for Calvin, C for Clifford, and I work...etc. etc. ! ! !  I don't know how many times I've seen this film and this has never registered to me before. Why is that? I don't know!  But now I know his name is Calvin Clifford Baxter. Heh!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2244 on: December 30, 2020, 02:13:13 PM »
I watched a number of my favorite holiday films over the last week.

Desk Set (not a Christmas movie per se, but it has a 20-25 minute Christmas office party segment that's delightful, as is the whole film.)

"Delightful" is the word for it. I haven't seen it for a while, but it's always enjoyable.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2245 on: December 30, 2020, 02:19:14 PM »
Anybody have plans to watch anything in particular for New Year's Eve?

I may watch Close Encounters, but I haven't yet made up my mind for sure.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2246 on: December 30, 2020, 02:37:50 PM »
^^^

New Year's Eve...or possibly New Year's Day in the evening, I've had a tradition for several years
to watch Woody Allen's film Midnight in Paris. I guess because of the "countdown to midnight" that
happens in the film several times and also the time traveling aspect, which our thoughts often veer
to (different time periods) at this season. I also really like it and it goes well with champagne and/or
martini's.

A few year's ago when I was housesitting on New Year's Eve and not going out I timed it so that the
first time the bells count down to midnight was actually midnight and the whole street was celebrating
with music, noisemakers and shouting Happy New Year! Heh!

On New Year's Eve I could also be in the mood to watch The Apartment again, and if I begin at 10 p.m.,
the film ends on a New Year's Eve celebration!

From The Apartment..."Ring out the old, ring in the new. Ring-a-ding-ding!"

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2247 on: December 30, 2020, 02:47:30 PM »

Speaking of movies and New Year's Eve...

A friend of mine once had a Poseidon Adventure themed New Year's Eve party and people were encouraged to attend in costumes from characters in the movie. We were all sent a "Boarding Pass" for admittance to the party. It was quite festive and at the countdown to midnight the TV monitors played the scene from the movie when they count down and we sang along to Auld Lang Syne as in the film and when the wave hits we all staggered along and then fell on the floor. Heh! It was a great time!

Some years ago, the American Cinematheque had a screening of The Poseidon Adventure on New Year's Eve at the Egyptian Theatre. (Not at midnight, but at 7 or 8pm.) They passed out streamers and noisemakers and those poppers that we were all to use when New Year's Eve happened in the movie. That was great. They also had a selection of memorabilia and props from the film in the lobby.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2248 on: December 31, 2020, 04:43:53 AM »
^^^ Speaking of bloopers or rather "continuity edits", there are a few in BBM.  Several I can think of right OTOMH.  Yeah you are right, once you see them, you cannot "un-see" them.  For me, since I'm trying to absorb and analyze nearly every scene, it is sort of a difficult sometimes for me not to see them.  I told myself for years.... when you stop seeing them, it's time to find something new to do, or you were asleep, or maybe well you're dead.  ;)  Stay safe, stay alive!  V. 

Offline frokes

• Obsessed
« Reply #2249 on: December 31, 2020, 09:09:11 AM »
I watched Green Book (2018). Mahershala Ali is a talented actor. I understand why the IMDb rating for this film is as high as it is. I loved the colour palette of it.
“An affair with the G train,” he smirked into the floor, his eyes filling with tears. - The Bellwether

"Jack felt D hard beneath his hand. He leaned his forehead against D’s again. “You feel it,” he whispered, barely breathed, not really a question." - Zero at the Bone