The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 154252 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2385 on: February 25, 2021, 11:45:15 AM »
I enjoyed talking to her on the phone once.  :)

We should have known that, Lyle! :D  Any details available?

I was working as the buyer at the Video West stores, out of West Hollywood. It was 1986--could've been 1987--and one video company was set to release some Bette Davis films on VHS. I had recently read a column in the Hollywood Reporter where Robert Osborne had been talking about visiting Bette Davis and every once in awhile they'd watch a movie of hers together on VHS and talk about it. I thought--why don't we send her some of the new ones as a gift from "her neighborhood video store?" The owner agreed to do this. Bette Davis actually lived in the middle of West Hollywood in an apartment building on Hayvenhurst, between Santa Monica Blvd. and Fountain Avenue.

I also knew of a small company in New York City that had one of her films that not many people knew was available, or even knew about, and so I thought she might not know it was available, either, so I called that company and ordered that one, too...a movie called Fashions of 1934. It has an elaborate musical number in it staged by Busby Berkeley.  When I ordered it, I told the person I was speaking to that it was for Bette Davis herself. When that company shipped the video to us they also included an unmarked video tape in a white cardboard sleeve asking if we wouldn't mind giving that to Miss Davis as well.

Well, not knowing what it was and feeling I should just in case (you never know) and yes, I was curious, I looked at it. It was a half hour program that she had done on TV for Four Star Theatre called The Decorator. Bette Davis played a "Malibu house decorator" in it and that's all I recall about it right now. I remember thinking Bette Davis in Malibu on the beach just doesn't seem to gel. Does anyone think of Bette Davis as a beach person?

So, we sent the package off to her in hopes she'd respond with a letter or become a customer at best! (We, of course, invited her to be and gave her a membership.)

I was upstairs in my office one day (I hadn't been given a phone installed in there at that time so if I needed one I had to go downstairs.) At one point that afternoon the door shot open and one of the employees (Gina!) burst into the room and exclaimed to me, "It's her!"  And I immediately knew what that meant!

Not wanting to keep her waiting, I flew down the stairs and over to the store to answer the phone and, of course, all the employees were staring at me and I wished I didn't have to talk to her with an audience. I was nervous enough. I answered the call: "Hello, this is Lyle speaking, may I help you?"

"Lyle. This is Bette. Bette Davis."

Uh...ahh..uh..

"I'm calling to thank you for the generous gift you sent to me."

(I said something. ? Maybe about hoping she'd enjoy the videos. I should have written down a transcript back then. Then she continued.)

"I want to ask...what is the white one in the blank box with no writing?"

(When sending that, I had written that the company sent it to me along with Fashions and asked that I'd give it to her as well. I told her that it was an episode of Four Star Theatre that she'd done called The Decorator. She responded.)

"No. It isn't. That was a pilot."

(Yes, Miss Davis, I stand corrected. Heh! I offered that I hoped she would enjoy it. I think. Then she said something that made me think her assistant or someone who works with her had instructed her to, or asked to, make this call.)

"Do I have to call them and say thank you as well?"

(Heh!)

I said, "That would be entirely up to you Miss Davis...if you want to."

(I don't exactly remember how the call ended, but I believe I offered her to get in touch with us if there's anything we could help her with at our store. I don't know if she called that other place in New York, but I did write to them and tell them we'd given her that video and that she told me to tell them she was very appreciative.)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2386 on: February 25, 2021, 12:12:13 PM »
Such a LIFE, Lyle!! You should write a book! Love those stories, thanks!  ;D

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2387 on: February 25, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »

@Jonn:

Big relief!

For we liked "Green Book" a lot!    ;)
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2388 on: February 25, 2021, 02:36:27 PM »
Oh no, Ingy, I'm not sure we like the same kind of films! Back to the Future, La La Land.  :)
I had recommended Green Book recently and you had mentioned you were going to order it
or see it. If you did, what did you think of it?

I've never even seen BTTF. The whole concept doesn't appeal to me.

I would like to see The Green Book some day.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2389 on: February 26, 2021, 12:04:34 AM »
I was working as the buyer at the Video West stores, out of West Hollywood. It was 1986--could've been 1987--and one video company was set to release some Bette Davis films on VHS. I had recently read a column in the Hollywood Reporter where Robert Osborne had been talking about visiting Bette Davis and every once in awhile they'd watch a movie of hers together on VHS and talk about it. I thought--why don't we send her some of the new ones as a gift from "her neighborhood video store?" The owner agreed to do this. Bette Davis actually lived in the middle of West Hollywood in an apartment building on Hayvenhurst, between Santa Monica Blvd. and Fountain Avenue.

I also knew of a small company in New York City that had one of her films that not many people knew was available, or even knew about, and so I thought she might not know it was available, either, so I called that company and ordered that one, too...a movie called Fashions of 1934. It has an elaborate musical number in it staged by Busby Berkeley.  When I ordered it, I told the person I was speaking to that it was for Bette Davis herself. When that company shipped the video to us they also included an unmarked video tape in a white cardboard sleeve asking if we wouldn't mind giving that to Miss Davis as well.

Well, not knowing what it was and feeling I should just in case (you never know) and yes, I was curious, I looked at it. It was a half hour program that she had done on TV for Four Star Theatre called The Decorator. Bette Davis played a "Malibu house decorator" in it and that's all I recall about it right now. I remember thinking Bette Davis in Malibu on the beach just doesn't seem to gel. Does anyone think of Bette Davis as a beach person?

So, we sent the package off to her in hopes she'd respond with a letter or become a customer at best! (We, of course, invited her to be and gave her a membership.)

I was upstairs in my office one day (I hadn't been given a phone installed in there at that time so if I needed one I had to go downstairs.) At one point that afternoon the door shot open and one of the employees (Gina!) burst into the room and exclaimed to me, "It's her!"  And I immediately knew what that meant!

Not wanting to keep her waiting, I flew down the stairs and over to the store to answer the phone and, of course, all the employees were staring at me and I wished I didn't have to talk to her with an audience. I was nervous enough. I answered the call: "Hello, this is Lyle speaking, may I help you?"

"Lyle. This is Bette. Bette Davis."

Uh...ahh..uh..

"I'm calling to thank you for the generous gift you sent to me."

(I said something. ? Maybe about hoping she'd enjoy the videos. I should have written down a transcript back then. Then she continued.)

"I want to ask...what is the white one in the blank box with no writing?"

(When sending that, I had written that the company sent it to me along with Fashions and asked that I'd give it to her as well. I told her that it was an episode of Four Star Theatre that she'd done called The Decorator. She responded.)

(Yes, Miss Davis, I stand corrected. Heh! I offered that I hoped she would enjoy it. I think. Then she said something that made me think her assistant or someone who works with her had instructed her to, or asked to, make this call.)

"Do I have to call them and say thank you as well?"

(Heh!)

I said, "That would be entirely up to you Miss Davis...if you want to."

(I don't exactly remember how the call ended, but I believe I offered her to get in touch with us if there's anything we could help her with at our store. I don't know if she called that other place in New York, but I did write to them and tell them we'd given her that video and that she told me to tell them she was very appreciative.)

Interesting story.  The last theatrical movie she ever starred in was Disney's cult classic "THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS" (1980) which is based on a science-fiction thriller novel for young adults.  The movie is quite atmospheric.  It also stars Lynn-Holly Johnson, David McCallum, Carroll Baker, and Kyle Richards.  A television remake film was directed by Melissa Joan Hart of "SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH"(1996-2003) fame. That was a good TV show.  I loved the character of Salem, Sabrina Spellman's talking black cat who is a warlock under a magical spell.  The TV film remake of "THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS" starred Angelica Huston in the role that Bette Davis played in the original 1980 film.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2390 on: February 26, 2021, 12:36:12 AM »
I believe that I've seen the first "BACK TO THE FUTURE" (1985) movie at least once.  I know I've seen clips from the film.  The original film sort of put Robert Zemeckis on the map as a movie director.  I like his films.  I know Dave Cullen, the founder of this forum hates "FORREST GUMP" (1994) with a passion.  I like it, but I understand why people may not like how oblivious Forrest is to the impact of the historical events taking place around him.  However, one thing I think the film did that has been overlooked is that the film did portray a sweet but somewhat naïve with mental disabilities as becoming a successful everyman.  You don't see many positive, strong characters who have disabilities of any kind in popular media, not very often anyway. Forrest Gump is definitely not the best example of that, obviously, but he was one of the few that provided a start in portraying a major popular character who has disabilities, and I've always felt that there should be more stronger characters with disabilities in major media, I think.

So I think "FORREST GUMP" was one the few examples that provided at least a start in portraying successful, strong characters who happens to have disabilities.  It took so long for a film like "BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN" (2005) to portray gay men in a more realistic, non-stereotypical way.  A film that the mainstream audience seemed to like.  It showed a gay couple in lust and in love who are forced to repress and deny their love to a prejudiced society.  It caused a lot of controversy, but the most interesting films always do in my opinion. "ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST" (1975), I think, in its own way helped to humanize people dealing with mental illness and highlight the abuse that is not uncommon in psychiatric institutions.  Though, that film isn't one of my personal favorites.  The treatment of people with mental heath issues is still an issue that still deserves a lot of attention today.

I think Ridley Scott's film "THELMA & LOUISE" (1991) should have sparked more talk about the sexual abuse of women, and whether violent criminals who might come from a more middle-class or working class background are born or made, and the idea of repressing negative memories and the effect it has on a person's psyche.  Why repressed memory?  Louise was raped while living in another State when she was younger and has repressed the urge to talk about it, and it is also implied that she murdered her rapist.  That could've sparked conversation about killing in self-defense and how that differs from murder.  Louise murders a drunken man whom she and Thelma meet at a bar on their way up to the cabin where they plan to do some fishing for the weekend. 

The man gets a bit too friendly with an intoxicated Thelma, invites her dance, an invitation that she does not bother to turn down. This is possibly due to the insulting behavior that she is subjected to from her cruel husband.  This is what allows the man at the bar to attempt to rape her in the parking lot of the bar in the dead of night.  When Louise comes to Thelma's defense, the man becomes belligerent and insults Louise by telling her to, "Suck my cock!" An already heated Louise shoots the man in the chest killing him instantly.  The two women flee from the scene in Louise's car, thus sparking the events that cause Thelma and Louise to run away from the law and becoming wanted fugitives.  Thelma, at first, thinks they should report the murder to the police by claiming that he tried to rape her because that was "sort of" what happened. Louise insists that no one would believe them because the other customers in the bar saw Thelma dancing with the man at the bar throughout the night.

This could have sparked conversation about the consequences of ignoring or denying claims of sexual assault that are brought forward by adult female victims.  Meanwhile, Thelma, a very friendly woman who is married to a man who is an utter misogynist seems to go from being this naïve housewife to embracing her new identity as a criminal.  That could spark an interesting conversation about villainization and one embracing their role as criminal. Some people think that is a film about the "hatred of men" and I've never seen it as promoting hatred towards men.  That movie dealt with interesting subjects that I felt were largely glossed over by audiences.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:17:38 AM by B.W. »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2391 on: February 26, 2021, 01:13:23 AM »
^^^^ Exceptional insights into some films I’ve not thought about in a while.   I agree with your observations-dead on the mark.   TY for sharing!    T&L real story did go above most people’s heads as many compared it to an all female Bonnie/Clyde never getting the undercurrents.  Well done!  TY!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2392 on: February 26, 2021, 02:32:30 AM »
^^^ Y, truly a "fun classic" film that many can quote... well made!

I enjoyed them a lot when they came out - fun and good-natured.

And I liked Green Book a great deal too!

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2393 on: February 26, 2021, 02:37:37 AM »
Thanks for the great Bette Davis story, Lyle :).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2394 on: February 26, 2021, 08:58:04 AM »

I wonder if Miss Davis had copies of her three appearances on Wagon Train? I've seen two out of the three several times. I don't yet own the season where she appeared for the third time.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2395 on: February 26, 2021, 11:16:53 AM »
Big relief!
For we liked "Green Book" a lot!    ;)

Nice to hear!

Likewise:

And I liked Green Book a great deal too!

I was reading a bit about Mahershala Ali recently. His reputation belies his roots. He was born in Oakland, CA in the 70's and his birth name was: Mahershalalhashbaz Gilmore.  Heh!  Try putting that on a movie marquee! That's longer than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Most of the black actors that are getting film and TV roles in the U.S. are from Britain: Regé-Jean Page (Bridgerton), Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night in Miami), Idris Elba, Daniel Kaluuya, David Oyelowo, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Delroy Lindo, John Boyega, Eamonn Walker...

SNL even did a sketch about this last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSvMVk_zqP4

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2396 on: February 26, 2021, 11:24:58 AM »
The last theatrical movie she ever starred in was Disney's cult classic "THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS" (1980) which is based on a science-fiction thriller novel for young adults.

Bette Davis mostly did TV in the 1980's, she did some TV movies, a mini-series and drama series (Hotel), but her last two roles were theatrical movies. 1987's The Whales of August, which had an Oscar nomination for Ann Sothern, and released in 1989 was Wicked Stepmother.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2397 on: February 26, 2021, 11:58:24 AM »
Bette Davis mostly did TV in the 1980's, she did some TV movies, a mini-series and drama series (Hotel), but her last two roles were theatrical movies. 1987's The Whales of August, which had an Oscar nomination for Ann Sothern, and released in 1989 was Wicked Stepmother.

Thanks Lyle!! ❤️
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2398 on: February 26, 2021, 04:42:28 PM »
I was reading a bit about Mahershala Ali recently. His reputation belies his roots. He was born in Oakland, CA in the 70's and his birth name was: Mahershalalhashbaz Gilmore.  Heh!  Try putting that on a movie marquee! That's longer than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

LOL
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2399 on: February 26, 2021, 04:55:46 PM »
It's the accent, Lyle, IMHO people here are mesmerized by it! Ali has certainly had major roles and attention.  ;)