The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 158953 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2400 on: February 27, 2021, 01:07:37 AM »
It's the accent, Lyle, IMHO people here are mesmerized by it! Ali has certainly had major roles and attention.  ;)

I’m afraid our accent doesn’t have the same effect on each other (though of course we have MANY accents)!  ;D

Funnily enough I was talking to my neighbours about accents yesterday, he English, she Texan. One son lives in America and the other here, both born in England but went to the American school in London, and went to college in America. I said I surprised that the “English” son, early 30s, stlll had a slight American accent, and his father said he keeps it going as it impresses the girls. :)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2401 on: February 27, 2021, 10:43:38 AM »
Watched The Accountant last night. Very interesting filmto me, maybe because I had a career as an Accountant? anyway, I enjoyed it, great cast too, Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick(who always reminds me of Kate Mara!), Jean Smart, John Lithgow, J K Simmons(of the Oz series and the Farmers Ins guy), just great cast all around. Odd story, maybe based on a true one? I should look. Kept my interest.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2402 on: February 27, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
J.K. Simmons (of the Oz series and the Farmers Ins guy)

And Oscar winner for WHIPLASH!

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2403 on: February 27, 2021, 04:31:51 PM »

I was reading a bit about Mahershala Ali recently. His reputation belies his roots. He was born in Oakland, CA in the 70's and his birth name was: Mahershalalhashbaz Gilmore.  Heh!  Try putting that on a movie marquee! That's longer than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

What a pain in the neck it would be every time he needed to give his name or fill in a form or enter his name on something online !

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2404 on: February 27, 2021, 04:34:38 PM »
Today I FINALLY watche My Cousin Vinny! haha.....yes, it's true, I have never seen the film. Enjoyed it very much!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2405 on: February 27, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »
I think Ridley Scott's film "THELMA & LOUISE" (1991) should have sparked more talk about the sexual abuse of women, and whether violent criminals who might come from a more middle-class or working class background are born or made, and the idea of repressing negative memories and the effect it has on a person's psyche.  Why repressed memory?  Louise was raped while living in another State when she was younger and has repressed the urge to talk about it, and it is also implied that she murdered her rapist.  That could've sparked conversation about killing in self-defense and how that differs from murder.  Louise murders a drunken man whom she and Thelma meet at a bar on their way up to the cabin where they plan to do some fishing for the weekend. 

Best female buddie film ever. Loved it!

Of course, the most memorable thing about it for me was the appearance of ... Brad Pitt.  ::)

First I laid eyes on him, I knew he was going to be a star.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2406 on: February 27, 2021, 06:56:55 PM »
Bette Davis mostly did TV in the 1980's, she did some TV movies, a mini-series and drama series (Hotel), but her last two roles were theatrical movies. 1987's The Whales of August, which had an Oscar nomination for Ann Sothern, and released in 1989 was Wicked Stepmother.

You're right, my bad.  I mistakenly thought Disney's "THE WATCHER IN THE WOODS" (1980) was Bette's last film.  Apparently it wasn't.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2407 on: February 27, 2021, 06:59:56 PM »
Best female buddie film ever. Loved it!

Of course, the most memorable thing about it for me was the appearance of ... Brad Pitt.  ::)

First I laid eyes on him, I knew he was going to be a star.

Yes, I thought it was kind of funny how Thelma was falling for this young guy, and how excited she was when she was telling Louise about her one-night sexual encounter with him the next day at a diner.  He ended up stealing the money that Louise's musician boyfriend had wired to her so that she and Thelma could escape to Mexico.  Not only did Brad Pitt's character steal their money, but Thelma told him where they were going thinking that he wouldn't tell anyone.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2408 on: February 27, 2021, 08:07:14 PM »
I’m afraid our accent doesn’t have the same effect on each other (though of course we have MANY accents)!  ;D

Funnily enough I was talking to my neighbours about accents yesterday, he English, she Texan. One son lives in America and the other here, both born in England but went to the American school in London, and went to college in America. I said I surprised that the “English” son, early 30s, stlll had a slight American accent, and his father said he keeps it going as it impresses the girls. :)

That's cute.  I saw an interview with Elton John and his hubby David Furnish, and I swore that David's accent sounded rather American.  I guess your neighbor's one son who still lives in the UK, maybe he likes to put on a bit of American Texas swagger for the ladies.  Hell, I think men with Australian or European accents, they just sound so sexy.  The Aussies have a lot of men that are just so damn sexy, both in their physical looks and in how they talk.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:17:28 PM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2409 on: February 27, 2021, 08:10:47 PM »
Nice to hear!

Likewise:

I was reading a bit about Mahershala Ali recently. His reputation belies his roots. He was born in Oakland, CA in the 70's and his birth name was: Mahershalalhashbaz Gilmore.  Heh!  Try putting that on a movie marquee! That's longer than Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Most of the black actors that are getting film and TV roles in the U.S. are from Britain: Regé-Jean Page (Bridgerton), Kingsley Ben-Adir (One Night in Miami), Idris Elba, Daniel Kaluuya, David Oyelowo, Chiwetel Ejiofor, Delroy Lindo, John Boyega, Eamonn Walker...

SNL even did a sketch about this last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSvMVk_zqP4

I think Mahershala Ali is supposed to play Blade in a film reboot of Marvel and New Line Cinema's "BLADE" film series.  Black actors from the UK tend to have a lot of background in theater, something that doesn't seem to be quite as common with black American actors.  As for "Blade", I liked Wesley Snipes performance.  My hubby loves the "BLADE" and "BLACK PANTHER" franchises.  He loves the comic books.  He really liked the "BLADE" cable TV show when it was first on the air, but it only lasted for one season because SPIKE was a new cable TV channel and the time, and it would've been too expensive for the channel to continue producing the show, so that's why the "BLADE" TV series was canceled so soon.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2410 on: February 28, 2021, 08:53:47 AM »
I watched Almost Love last night on Netflix, I think it was also called Sell By, or some such title. A simple quirky film, the only cast member I recognized was Kate Walsh. I guess you could say it was a film where you didn't have to think! haha....mindless entertainment? Certainly not a film for everyone!  ;D

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2411 on: March 01, 2021, 08:36:34 AM »
Last night I watched Nocturnal Animals. Another one of Jake's I've never viewed before. Didn't even realize Jake and Armie had been in a film before. Although they have no scenes together, I wonder if they interacted at all on the film set? An odd film, for sure, and not for everyone. It did get some award attention though, for Michael Shannon mostly. But Tom Ford, producing/directing a film? Guess I never paid attention to him. This is not a film I'll probably ever see again!  ;)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2412 on: March 01, 2021, 09:03:55 AM »

Tom Ford also directed A single man. Which is a great quiet and sad movie.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2413 on: March 01, 2021, 09:47:57 AM »
A Single Man was so good. ‘Quiet and sad’ is a perfect description.

Coincidentally yesterday I saw Matthew Goode, who was Colin Firth’s partner in A Single Man, in the 2008 film of Brideshead Revisited (with Ben Whishaw as Sebastian). I hadn’t read the book or seen the television series for a long time, so I didn’t worry about any changes from the original (one of which was to make Sebastian’s homosexuality slightly more explicit). I did like it. But it’s an ultimately rather sad story, with the idyllic and amusing first quarter gradually declining into disillusionment.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2414 on: March 01, 2021, 09:56:55 AM »
A Single Man was so good. ‘Quiet and sad’ is a perfect description.

Danke.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.