The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 158988 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2595 on: April 21, 2021, 01:11:04 PM »

--The United States vs. Billie Holiday

Andra Day was nominated for Best Actress, and she's quite good in it, but much like last year's "Judy", it's hardly uplifting or something to take to heart, at least more than once. Plus it's pretty specific plot points make it seem like the U.S. Government's only job back then was to keep Billie Holiday from singing the song "Strange Fruit."

Movies about notable people made in past years tend to focus on them triumphing over the conditions they found themselves in despite the obstacles, or at least focusing on the positive things we like about the people or events. A whole lot of the movies this year are wallowing in the grievances and negative aspects and these films leave you a lot colder.

Somehow over the decades, I have never seen Lady Sings the Blues, from 1972, so I cannot compare that film to this one, but a friend of mine who's seen both says that the 1972 version of Billie Holiday's story was a movie for that time, and this current one is for this time. I see what he is saying, but aren't the best films we all like more in the "timeless" realm?

I'm thinking of the movie Hidden Figures that was released 5 years ago. It seems if that movie came out this year it would be really different in tone. That movie is about these brilliant black women working in NASA that contributed to our successful space race to the moon. (And women most all of us have never heard of.) In that film we see some of the realities of their lives, being segregated from white people a lot, and having to put up with things like using restrooms a mile away (exaggerating) instead of near their workplace, some people's in your face prejudices and other such things. But that movie takes it for granted that we, the audience, knows these things are/were wrong and we can also even laugh at how ridiculous it is to us now. And that allows us to admire these women and their success all the more for having had to put up with all that. I think if that movie had come out this year the tone of all that would be much different. A tone that would have people looking at the film from different sides, instead of looking at how each side overcame their prejudices or circumstances for a common goal. It would separate more than unite. Not sure if I'm clear about my meaning.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2596 on: April 22, 2021, 12:02:16 PM »
I watched Come and Find Me with Aaron Paul, the guy from Breaking Bad. I liked this film, it held my attention, and the Actors were all good, IMHO, you understand?  ;)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2597 on: April 22, 2021, 03:54:30 PM »

I appreciated Judy, though I wasn't exactly enthusiastic about it, and am curious now to see the Holiday movie.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Toss a coin...
    • AO3
« Reply #2598 on: April 25, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
I had thought about watching this off and on lately, but your post gave me a push. I watched it tonight.

--My Octopus Teacher

Great title! It's such a quiet, gentle film, but you feel all kinds of emotions watching it unfold that you would in any noisy action film or any other genre, really. More importantly, it makes you feel more human. And yes, it is beautiful to look at. Recommended.

Awwww! And it won!
"If you're alone, just know that you're not."
                                                               -Joey Batey

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2599 on: April 26, 2021, 10:46:27 AM »
Nope, I didn't watch the Oscar show last night! Sounds like I didn't miss much though!  :o ;D ;)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2600 on: April 26, 2021, 11:24:03 AM »
^^^

I guess that depends on the individual. You missed a few surprises and you missed a beautiful setting (I loved it) and the songs done in the pre-show at AMPAS's new museum were done really well. They should do it that way every year, in the pre-show. I liked that they just let the winners say what they wanted. There was no orchestra to try playing them off which just annoys them and the audience. I haven't read any reviews of it yet, so I don't know what anyone else's opinion of it was. What I enjoyed least was just most of the movies nominated, heh! So, of course, most of the winners.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2601 on: April 26, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »
And it won!

That was my favorite win of the evening!

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Toss a coin...
    • AO3
« Reply #2602 on: April 26, 2021, 11:28:18 AM »
^^^
Mine too!
"If you're alone, just know that you're not."
                                                               -Joey Batey

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2603 on: April 26, 2021, 03:56:33 PM »
I guess that depends on the individual. You missed a few surprises and you missed a beautiful setting (I loved it) and the songs done in the pre-show at AMPAS's new museum were done really well. They should do it that way every year, in the pre-show. I liked that they just let the winners say what they wanted. There was no orchestra to try playing them off which just annoys them and the audience. I haven't read any reviews of it yet, so I don't know what anyone else's opinion of it was. What I enjoyed least was just most of the movies nominated, heh! So, of course, most of the winners.

Sounds really good.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2604 on: April 26, 2021, 04:59:41 PM »
Lyle... when you get to finally visit the location, please take some photographs and post them.  They never really covered the rework in the pre-show, which I hoped they would so the LA Times article is about the best I've seen.  There were some nicer panning shots to give an overall feel.  I'd love to visit the next time I'm in LA.

I hung on until about 22:00... .  I enjoyed they showed film cuts and the songs in the pre-show and we did not have to endure that during the main event.    I'm unsure I liked the winners going on and on and sometimes on and more on about everyone they needed to thank... we know they are standing on the backs of a lot of folks but it was not too bad.  I gave it an pass just on pandemic stress alone. 

I did not see the end where the Academy again stumbled big *(@(*@* time with the best actor going to Anthony Hopkins and NOT the late Chadwick Boseman.  Hopkins, who wasn't even there, was a major WTF and asleep!!!! He didn't even feel his was a contender.    If you want to read the theory of why Boseman (now deceased) lost, see below: 

https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/oscars-2021-how-anthony-hopkins-beat-chadwick-boseman.html

Short of the 2017 Moonlight/LaLa Land FUBAR and Crash/BBM FUBAR, this is probably # 3 on rank of FUBARS (in my lifetime) on part of the voting academy really fracking up what they should have done vs what the votes tallied up to be.  People saying one thing and then voting another b/c they thought Boseman was going to win anyway is how we ended up with the GOS in the WH.

Boseman should have gotten Best Actor for his body of work.   R.I.P. 

Folks will never learn... vote you heart, not your should-of, would-of, did.   V.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 05:27:06 PM by gattaca »

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2605 on: April 28, 2021, 06:22:38 PM »
Once more ...not sure how many times I have sat and watched it...but I'm here
again watching "Good Will Hunting. I feel compelled to watch it each time it's
shown on TV. Great script....marvelous acting. So natural and realistic.

Brilliant.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2606 on: April 29, 2021, 08:13:47 PM »
I watched Oh, God! last night.............GOD I love that film!!  :o :P :laugh:

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2607 on: April 29, 2021, 08:14:28 PM »
Once more ...not sure how many times I have sat and watched it...but I'm here
again watching "Good Will Hunting. I feel compelled to watch it each time it's
shown on TV. Great script....marvelous acting. So natural and realistic.

Brilliant.
LOVE that film and everyone in it too!  ;D

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2608 on: April 30, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
I watched Animal Kingdom, a 2010 film directed by David Michod on TV last night. It's centred on Josh, a 17 year-old who is inducted into his extended family of grandmother and uncles after his mother dies of a heroin overdose as the police close in on them. There is a feeling of dread conveyed in nearly every scene. It was loosely inspired by the story of a Melbourne family headed by a notorious matriarch played by the very good actor, Jacki Weaver and the murder of two young policeman in a suburban street. I was attracted to the film when the trailer included shots of the very handsome Guy Pearce who plays a detective who tries to rescue Josh.

I think the first time I saw Guy Pearce must have been in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. In recent years. I've seen him in TV series, playing Jack Irish, an inner-suburban Melbourne lawyer who becomes a private detective.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:48:41 PM by tfferg »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2609 on: May 01, 2021, 11:45:32 AM »
I think the first time I saw Guy Pearce must have been in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. In recent years. I've seen him in TV series, playing Jack Irish, an inner-suburban Melbourne lawyer who becomes a private detective.

Yes, I guess that's where most of us first heard of him. His next film after that is one of my favorite performances of his, in L.A. Confidential. At the AMPAS Great to Be Nominated screening of L.A. Confidential he was a surprise addition to the Q&A panel after the screening.

And speaking of Guy Pearce:

--Without Remorse

A new action movie based on a Tom Clancy novel. It was just released. (It's also on Amazon Prime where I viewed it.) After all the weighty "Oscar boring" movies I've waded through the last month I was just in the mood for some action and no brainer movie viewing and this fit the bill. I happened to see a preview or two of it on TV and then saw it on the queue and just decided to watch it. I doubt it will get good reviews from anyone who's seen dozens of these types of movies, but it was just the right movie at the right time for me. They didn't overload the plot with anything but the basics, which I appreciated. It's basically a revenge movie.

I have not read any Tom Clancy books, but I just looked up some info about this film and read this: "Without Remorse is an explosive origin story of action hero John Clark -- one of the most popular characters in author Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan universe." Who knew? That character is played in this movie by Michael B. Jordan, currently people magazine's sexiest man alive. I did not know what I'd be getting into when I started watching this, but early on I noticed Jamie Bell and Guy Pearce were in the film, two that I like, so I settled into it. It also doesn't overstay it's welcome and run over two hours. It comes in at an hour and 50 minutes, but ten minutes of that is credits.

As I said, it was one of those "right movie at the right moment" for me and I ended up enjoying it for that.