The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 443536 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #300 on: September 07, 2018, 05:45:16 PM »
I read it was some revolt in Hollywood.. probably not unlike our 2005 FUBAR..  :)  V.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #301 on: September 07, 2018, 09:42:42 PM »
What kind of revolt? Of the old guard being against it or what?
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Uli

• The Daylight Hallucination
  • Obsessed
« Reply #302 on: September 08, 2018, 12:30:43 AM »
Just read...they have decided to drop...the new Oscar...for" Outstanding Achievement
in Popular Film" ….after wide spread backlash.

Lyle....do you know anything more about this ??

Where they worried that Jake Gyllenhaal might have *actually* won one of these ? !!!

Hm... Well, that can‘t be the reason...

No offense, but if there is one thing Jake hasn‘t been doing these past years...it‘s making „popular films“...  :"> :laugh:

So, we would still have to hope for the regular Oscar for him...
When I feel the warmth of your very soul
I forget I'm cold and crying
When your lips touch mine and I lose control
I forget I'm old and dying

Martin L. Gore - Damaged People

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #303 on: September 08, 2018, 06:39:29 AM »
What kind of revolt? Of the old guard being against it or what?
"considerable backlash among Academy members...who said it devalued the awards and implied that a movie cannot be simultaneously well-liked by critics and by the general public."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/academy-scraps-plan-for-controversial-popular-film-award-1536260807

What these arrogant asswipes are ignoring is if they do not begin changing their approach to reach out and engage more of the Gen X, Y, Millennials, they are in a lose-lose game.  The leading edge of the boomers is starting to "fall off the cliff" and in 25 years, they(we) will be mostly dust in the wind.  Change or become obsolete.   Also, we used to joke the 3+ hours was insane and I understand everyone wants their 2 mins in the sun but with so many awards, they need to pair some of those down and award them in smaller venues like they do already for some of the smaller but no-less important achievements in film.  V.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #304 on: September 08, 2018, 09:45:56 AM »
Well with an attitude like this (as it has always been) as you said, the Oscars are and will be obsolete on just a few years. How long will it be before the old guard dies off and the younger actors grow some balls and institute some change?
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #305 on: September 08, 2018, 10:06:22 AM »
There are just too many awards, and shows, IMHO. People get award fatigue I believe, so by the time the Oscar presentations roll around, no one really cares! I can't even TELL you how many awards, and shows there are for the entertainment industry as a whole!! Far too many, that's for sure........I can still remember when it was bascially the Tony's, the Emmy's, the Grammy's and the Oscars, the ones that were televised anyway...but I also remember when the People Choice awards showed up! I thought, what? After that it just became a streamroller of new Awards and shows...... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #306 on: September 08, 2018, 02:06:35 PM »

By all accounts, the reason this whole new award thing started in the first place is because ABC had signed a new multi-year contract (12 years) to show the awards which started in 2016 and this past year's awards show was down in the ratings to 26.5 from 33.4 in 2017 and 34.00 in 2016. (One must note that ratings are down across the board in almost every network measurement the last few years. Even the Superbowl.)

But ABC executives went to AMPAS in a tizzy and said they had to do something. Shorten the show. Get films people like nominated somehow. They brought up the idea of the new picture category. Up the ratings by not televising some categories etc. Do something! Whatever. AMPAS was spooked.

Somehow they got AMPAS to agree to stop televising some of the awards and just showing a clip of them winning. They got them to announce a new award category for popular films without researching the members or even deciding how that would work.

By the way, if that was supposed to appeal to new audiences, why would it? Because it, in fact, just sounds like pandering. You won't nominate movies for Best Picture in the genres we like (specifically well-reviewed superhero films like The Dark Knight, or last year's Wonder Woman or this year's Black Panther) so we'll pander to you by giving you a special trophy.

If you recall the fact that The Dark Knight, and also WALL-E which received several critics Best Film of the Year prizes...the fact they were overlooked in the Best Film category in 2008 was why AMPAS suddenly instituted the "up to ten Best Film nominees" rules which was thought would then include more sci-fi, animated, acclaimed superhero films etc. into the mix. 
Guess what? It did not.

As far as instituting a "Popular Film Achievement Award...remember when they gave awards to films that both critics and audiences actually liked? They used to give Best Picture winners to "popular" films.  You know, like The Sound of Music, West Side Story, The Godfather, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Sting, The French Connection, Terms of Endearment, etc.

So in 2017 they gave the Best Picture Oscar to Moonlight over La La Land. Regardless of your feelings about either film, La La Land was popular and audiences saw it more than any other nominee. (Hidden Figures may have overtaken it after the awards.) Concerning movie audiences...Moonlight was not a popular film. Sure, it got good critical acclaim, but it's one in a long line of recent Best Picture winners that are among the bottom of the Best Picture lists for drawing audiences and box office. The highest rated Oscars of all time was when Titanic, a very popular and critically acclaimed film, was nominated and won. SO, can you blame audiences who tuned in to see La La Land win get turned off when it didn't?

In any event, I don't think the Oscars should try pandering to audiences to get viewership. The Oscars are different now for many reasons. THey were actually conceived to get the populace interested in Hollywood's products by showcasing their ideas of the best films of the year.  The fact is, when I was growing up and watching them on TV, most everyone I knew hadn't seen these films. Maybe 2-3 if any. Watching the show was great to not only see movie stars that never or rarwely appeared on telelvision. You could also see clips of the films. Watching celebrities ands seeing film clips of the nominees is the least interesting thing about the Oscars nowadays. With a click of your computer you can see almost anything you want to in that regard. It's not really special.

And some of you noted the proliferation of awards shows. Even if it is the Oscars, when there are well over 100 groups giving out awards before that it gets really tiresome. And that doesn't include the myriad of film festivals giving out awards. It just dilutes the impact.

Also, these shows are spread out over three months which gives everyone time to analyze the importance of each one into numbness. This contributes to a sameness of winners which seems absurd when critics are always saying "art is subjective." Shouldn't that mean that every award, say, shouldn't go to Gary Oldman, for example?

So how AMPAS can ever evolve into something more exciting and worthy with it's awards is something people write about every single year.

THe only idea I ever heard of is something that would never happen because it would involve too many groups agreeing on a single thing and each group wants their own spot in the limelioght, eas evidence by critics giving out their best film nominations and or awards around Thanksgiving now, before many films even are screened or opened.

But that idea was to have "Awards Season" scheduled like the Olympics. A two-week period where every day there are film awards, perhaps starting with the critics, moving on to guilds etc. and the last night would be the Oscars. For one, each group could not be influenced by anyone else's award voting. There would be time to celebrate the achievements instead of the weeks of people trying to tear them down like the internet is wont to do and since the voting wouldn't be contingent on knowing what anyone else voted for weeks in advance...there would theoretically be differences.

An Atlantic article about this from when it was first announced:
https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/08/the-oscars-new-rule-changes-are-terrible/567107/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2018, 11:10:09 AM »

--Elvis & Nixon

This is a film from a couple years ago. It's about the circumstances around the meeting that Elvis Presley had with Richard Nixon in the White House in December of 1970. The photo of the two of them together taken at the time is the most requested photo ever from the National Archives.

It's a slight film, but highly entertaining. Michael Shannon plays Elvis and Kevin Spacey plays Richard Nixon. Also in the cast are Alex Pettyfer (meow!), Colin Hanks and Johnny Knoxville. The plot concerns Elvis feeling America's youth needs help and he wants to be an Undercover Federal Agent for the U.S. and help fight drug infiltration. Apparently by this time Elvis' celebrity had gone to his head in a lot of ways. He comes off very Trump-like to me. (You know, those people who are never told "no" and act like it. Elvis...Michael Jackson...Trump.)

From a reviewer: As a surreal slice of history served up nearly half a century later, it feels oddly satisfying: A reminder not just of perceived simpler times, but of all the other wild untold stories we may never know, just because no camera was there to capture them."

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
I'm late posting this as I saw both movies on Sunday!

1) " All About Eve".....starring Bette Davis,Anne Baxter,Celeste Holme, George Sanders and others !
You may well think from the title of the movie that "Eve"  is Bette Davis.....
wrong....Eve is Anne Baxter. Bette is Margo...an ageing actress.

Eve is the young "wanna" be actress who ingratiates hers self on Margo......
and gradually gets the parts Margo once did/wants.

Anything Bette Davis did...never disappoints.

2) Spotlight.(2015).....starring...Marc Ruffolo,Michael Keaton,Rachel McAdams,
and the fabulous Stanley Tucci who so under played his character.

The newspaper "The Boston Globe"....after hearing the story of widespread child
abuse in Boston by Catholic Priests..who never got bought to justice but just
got moved to another parish....began investigating the whole story...which after
an indepth investigation they realized it was going on all over the world ..right
up to the Vatican.

Brilliant movie...though disturbing.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #309 on: September 12, 2018, 11:35:17 AM »
I'm late posting this as I saw both movies on Sunday!

1) " All About Eve".....starring Bette Davis,Anne Baxter,Celeste Holme, George Sanders and others !
You may well think from the title of the movie that "Eve"  is Bette Davis.....
wrong....Eve is Anne Baxter. Bette is Margo...an ageing actress.

Eve is the young "wanna" be actress who ingratiates hers self on Margo......
and gradually gets the parts Margo once did/wants.

Anything Bette Davis did...never disappoints.

"Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

I don't want to misunderstand: This isn't the first time you've seen All About Eve, is it?

The greatest movie about the theater ever.

Everyone is great, even Marilyn Monroe in her bit part. I love George Sanders as the theater critic Addison DeWitt!

One of my all-time favorites, a movie I never tire of watching.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #310 on: September 12, 2018, 05:04:38 PM »
"Fasten your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

I don't want to misunderstand: This isn't the first time you've seen All About Eve, is it?

The greatest movie about the theater ever.

Everyone is great, even Marilyn Monroe in her bit part. I love George Sanders as the theater critic Addison DeWitt!

One of my all-time favorites, a movie I never tire of watching.

(*hangs head with shame*)  :">   Yes....this was my first time!

I'm leaving now (*walks away ..eyes down*)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #311 on: September 12, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »

(*hangs head with shame*)  :">   Yes....this was my first time!

I'm leaving now (*walks away ..eyes down*)

Don't do that! Welcome to the party!  :D

And I agree. Nothing Bette Davis did disappoints.

(I figure the play Margo is in, where she's playing some sort of Southern Belle, is an inside joke about Davis' movie Jezebel, another movie I recommend, where she played a Southern Belle.)

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #312 on: September 12, 2018, 07:31:54 PM »
                                                     ^^^^^

I loved "Jezebel"..Saw it years ago. Is it the movie where she arrives at a dance
wearing a scarlet dress...which is looked down upon because all unmarried
girls were expected to wear white to show virginal status ?

They haven't shown it on TV for ages.Not on Netflix either.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #313 on: September 13, 2018, 07:13:13 AM »
                                                   ^^^^^

I loved "Jezebel"..Saw it years ago. Is it the movie where she arrives at a dance
wearing a scarlet dress.
..which is looked down upon because all unmarried
girls were expected to wear white to show virginal status ?

They haven't shown it on TV for ages.Not on Netflix either.

That's the one! I love that one, too!  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #314 on: September 13, 2018, 12:12:36 PM »
I remember reading once that they filmed All About Eve very quickly...like in 4 weeks or something.
And it held the record for the most Oscar nominations by itself, from 1950 - 1998 when Titanic achieved 14 nominations, and recently, when La La Land achieved 14 nominations.

And 1950 -- what a year for the Best Actress competition:

Anne Baxter -- All about Eve {"Eve Harrington"}
Bette Davis -- All about Eve {"Margo Channing"}
Judy Holliday -- Born Yesterday {"Billie Dawn"}
Eleanor Parker -- Caged {"Marie Allen"}
Gloria Swanson -- Sunset Blvd. {"Norma Desmond"}

This is Exhibit A in why you really shouldn't have film award competitions.
Any single one of these performances could have won and should have won.
My personal choice would probably have been Gloria Swanson, but as I said...
Eleanor Parker is probably the least known of this group but I saw Caged on
the big screen around a decade ago and Eleanor pulls out all the stops in her
tour-de-force performance, including having her long locks shaved off as part
of her prison induction. Anyone else seen Caged?