The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428124 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #735 on: May 13, 2019, 02:07:56 PM »
Lyle, who is the song attributed to...who wrote it?

The Secret Love music was written by Sammy Fain, and Paul Francis Webster wrote the lyrics.

They won the Best Song Oscar for it and then two years later they won again for their song "Love is a Many Splendored Thing."
Ten years after that Webster won another Oscar for "The Shadow of Your Smile." The music for that was written by Johnny Mandel.

Overall, Sammy Fain was nominated for 9 Oscars between 1937 and 1977.
Paul Francis Webster was nominated for 14 Oscars between 1944 and 1976.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #736 on: May 13, 2019, 02:15:32 PM »
I never gave it a thought before, but listening to it from another perspective, it's very touching and bittersweet.  I never looked between the lines, but now I can see so much feeling and sadness and maybe pain...and maybe freedom.
Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #737 on: May 14, 2019, 06:52:18 AM »
I agree about "My Secret Love."
NBC Nightly News had a very nice tribute to her last evening. BBC World News America had a brief segment on her, too.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #738 on: May 15, 2019, 08:42:31 PM »
I love this movie...

Moneyball
AMCHD - 63 Wed, 5/15, 7:00 PM 3 hrs
2011, Drama, Sports, Adaptation, Biography, True Story, Baseball, Major League Baseball
After the owner puts the Oakland A's on a tight budget, the general manager is forced to redesign his approach to assembling a team, and he decides to hire an Ivy League grad who has an innovative plan that revolves around recruiting flawed players.
Credits: Brad Pitt (Actor), Jonah Hill (Actor), Philip Seymour Hoffman (Actor), Robin Wright (Actor), Chris Pratt (Actor), Stephen Bishop (Actor)
Bye, Felicia

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #739 on: May 16, 2019, 09:17:32 AM »
Paul Newman is Star of the Month on TCM, and last evening they showed Hud. Newman is great, of  course, but the real attraction of this movie for me is Brandon de Wilde, who plays Newman's nephew. At age 20 he was a beautiful young man, just plain beautiful. He has a great scene with Patricia Neal, who plays the housekeeper, when she comes into his room to wake him up, and he's supposed to be naked under the sheets. Too bad we don't see anything.  ::)  Beautiful smooth chest, though.  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #740 on: May 16, 2019, 01:19:50 PM »

Jeff, I assume you know that this film was adapted from a Larry McMurtry novel titled Horseman, Pass.  I love this film and Newman, De Wilde and Patricia Neal are impeccable in it. The film had 7 Oscar nominations for everything but Best Film, and I don't get that. I've mentioned before I think, not only should it have been nominated, it should've won Best Film. It did win for Actress, Supporting Actor and Cinematography. It's quite a lovely film.

Did you know that in the novel, the character of Alma (Alma!) was black? Even though 1963 was a big year for civil rights issues, that probably wouldn't have flown back then. Many years ago I had a chance to see this film in a theatre and it just blew me over, just like The Last Picture Show does when I see it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #741 on: May 16, 2019, 01:29:12 PM »
I love this movie...

Moneyball

I, too, love this film. It so very entertaining!
Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill give great performances.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #742 on: May 16, 2019, 02:08:21 PM »
Jeff, I assume you know that this film was adapted from a Larry McMurtry novel titled Horseman, Pass.  I love this film and Newman, De Wilde and Patricia Neal are impeccable in it. The film had 7 Oscar nominations for everything but Best Film, and I don't get that. I've mentioned before I think, not only should it have been nominated, it should've won Best Film. It did win for Actress, Supporting Actor and Cinematography. It's quite a lovely film.

Yes, I knew that. This wasn't the first time I've seen it (in fact I have it in my DVD collection). The host (some other guy, not Ben Mankiewicz) said Brandon de Wilde accepted the Oscar for Melvyn Douglas, but he didn't say why Douglas wasn't there to accept it himself.

Did you know that in the novel, the character of Alma (Alma!) was black? Even though 1963 was a big year for civil rights issues, that probably wouldn't have flown back then. Many years ago I had a chance to see this film in a theatre and it just blew me over, just like The Last Picture Show does when I see it.

I've never read the novel, so I did not know that about Alma.

Alma must have been a popular name around the Thirties or so. I have an aunt by that name.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #743 on: May 17, 2019, 10:42:08 AM »
The host (some other guy, not Ben Mankiewicz) said Brandon de Wilde accepted the Oscar for Melvyn Douglas, but he didn't say why Douglas wasn't there to accept it himself.

You can see what Brandon de Wilde says about that in this Oscar clip of him accepting the award:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv4ok3oHyPA

My Oscar book says that only ONE of the acting winners that night were there to accept their award.
Along with Douglas, Margaret Rutherford and Patricia Neal were not present. Only Sidney Poitier was
there to accept Best Actor for Lilies of the Field.

The Oscars always seem to give out the Oscar to a star for the wrong role. Paul Newman really should've
won for Hud this year. Poitier won because that was the time of increased civil rights awareness for blacks
and such. He gave so many great performances later on. In 1967 alone he was in To Sir with Love, Guess
Who's Coming to Dinner and In the Heat of the Night! I had the fortunate experience to meet him over 15
years ago on Christmas Eve in the nearby Trader Joe's market! He was very gracious.

Paul Newman is in my favorite movie and I never did see him in person.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #744 on: May 17, 2019, 11:24:03 AM »
That's so cool that you met Sidney Poiter in TJ's!  And on Christmas Eve, at that.

This was posted in IG yesterday - Happy Birthday, Oscar.  Funny that the first one only lasted 15 minutes.

thefilmdetective

On this day in 1929, around 250 guests made their way into the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel to witness the first Academy Awards ceremony. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. presented the awards, which lasted only around 15 minutes. Among the 1929 winners were Lewis Milestone for Best Director (comedy), Frank Borzage for Best Director (drama), Emil Jannings for Best Actor, Janet Gaynor for Best Actress, and “Wings” (1927) for Best Picture.

Today, we are celebrating the anniversary of the first Academy Awards ceremony with the return of our Oscar Classics category! Titles like “A Star is Born” (1937), “Captain Kidd” (1945), “My Man Godfrey” (1936), and more can all be found at TheFilmDetective.tv

Bye, Felicia

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #745 on: May 17, 2019, 11:26:58 AM »
In the Heat of the Night!

Great movie! Another I will watch any time.

(A secondary benefit for me is the passenger train in those pre-Amtrak days.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #746 on: May 17, 2019, 12:16:33 PM »
That's so cool that you met Sidney Poiter in TJ's!  And on Christmas Eve, at that.

Agree. Yes it was!

This was posted in IG yesterday - Happy Birthday, Oscar.  Funny that the first one only lasted 15 minutes.

A lot of that is because 1.) There were half as many awards as there are now and 2.) the winners had been known,
interviewed and discussed weeks before this actual dinner took place in the Roosevelt Hotel, which was also pretty
brand new at the time.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
« Reply #747 on: May 17, 2019, 12:21:03 PM »
and no red carpet, rich people showing off free gowns and borrowed jewels.
Bye, Felicia

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #748 on: May 17, 2019, 08:42:33 PM »
This evening HBO showed Signs, another of the many films I never saw before. I liked it. I found it genuinely suspenseful, although I also found it a tad disappointing.

M. Night Shyamalin is a Philadelphia homeboy. I hadn't known that he had cast himself in this movie.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:47:30 AM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #749 on: May 17, 2019, 10:22:23 PM »
That was the point though.  Several publicized AMPAS members WHO VOTED said they didn't see Brokeback Mountain, or worse, said they didn't want to.

#1.) Have you EVER heard at any other period in Oscar history of members specifically dissing a film like that. Saying they wouldn't see it? In public. Imagine if people said they refused to see Schindler's List, for example. Most AMPAS members are particularly mum when it comes to their actual opinions of films, not wanting to offend people they might work with etc.  In this case they were public about it.  AMPAS' official line is that if one hadn't seen all five nominees in a category they are directed not to vote in the category.  Right.

2.) At the time there were several high profile AMAPS voters who said they hadn't seen the film, wouldn't, or didn't care to, including Clint Eastwood, Ernest Borgnine, Tony Curtis, Samuel L. Jackson, Mark Wahlberg and Sarah Jessica Parker.

I know there were a few AMPAS members that stated that they didn't see the film.  I think there have been AMPAS members who haven't seen all the films in every voting category, but they probably wouldn't admit it.  I'm sure there were voting members who didn't watch "Schindler's List" (1993), but wouldn't admit it to the media.  I think AMPAs members don't voice criticism as much about the films that other people in the movie industry work on, perhaps because they are worried about a future chance at working with some of those persons.  At the time that "Brokeback Mountain" was nominated for Best Picture in 2006 and failed to win, I knew that a few voting members of the AMPAS didn't see the movie and admitted it, then I thought that surely they must be a minority of people who did not see the film.  Nowadays, who knows how many members of the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences didn't see "Brokeback Mountain" in 2006.

I bet you there are a lot of good movies that haven't won in this or that category at the Oscars because people who didn't see them, especially if the subject matter bothered them, the probably just didn't say anything about that in puiblic.  I heard of some black men not wanting to watch Steven Spielberg's theatrical film adaptation of "The Color Purple" (1985) because they thought it sounded like a sexist movie in how it portrayed black men, but they weren't voting members of the AMPAs.  I guess you really can't take film award ceremonies too seriously,  I never really have, I do think that "Brokeback Mountain" not winning Best Picture reminded me not to do that to a certain degree, although I think homophobia did play a major role in the film not winning Best Picture and I am upset about that.  Keep in mind, I still find Ernest Borgnine's bigoted comments to be very upsetting.  I didn't care about what they said about how John Wayne would feel about it because regardless of how much of a staple an actor or director made a film genre,  that doesn't mean they get to define it for everyone else or that you have to follow their movie formulas and conventions in that genre.  That is the part of it that I dismissed the most without taking it too seriously because it doesn't matter what a director or actor in this or that genre would think.

I don't think that had "Brokeback Mountain" won the Oscar for Best Picture that it would have changed very many people's minds or hearts about LGBT people and the issues that they face in society. Sadly but not surprisingly, there were people during the film's theatrical release  who used the film to promote their views of how homosexuality "harms" society in their eyes. There are people who still do this, I am sure of that.  Such views are preposterous.  None of the characters in the film get what they want the most, which I would say is to find love with that special someone.  That is one of the tragic things about the film. .  It would have been nice to see a film that I really enjoyed and thought was well-made win.  If all AMPAS members had seen it, weren't bothered by the subject matter and hated it just because it wasn't their kind of film, that wouldn't have bothered me.  Even though it didn't win Best Picture, I will always enjoy it and appreciate it.  It seems one doesn't have very many experiences that are so moving with a film, at least for me anyway.  The fact that I am still talking about it, that proves the movie is more effective on me than any award it did or might have one.