The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 427706 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 04:53:37 PM »
I'm watching When Harry Met Sally, and I just moved it onto my top 10.  Or maybe it should be on my guilty pleasures list.  Should one have a top 10 and a GP top 10?  And what defines guilty pleasure movies anyway?  Cult?  Bad?  Popular but panned by critics?

It's no Citizen Kane, but I've seen it at least 10 times, I've see CK once...so that just shows that maybe I shouldn't review movies for a living...

I dunno. I sometimes wonder what qualifies somebody to be a movie reviewer. I don't know whether anyone I recognize has any connection to the Industry other than writing about it.

Lyle?

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 04:59:13 PM »
My top 10 and Guilty Pleasures movie is "Big Eden". I can never get enough of it.

https://youtu.be/WSxGRfZuGGc

This is silly, but I even have an outline of a continuation of the movie.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
                                                      ^^^
My "guilty" pleasure film is "Breakfast Club" ! I HAVE to watch it when ever it's on !!!

My all time favourite movie...well....it's right up there ..... is "The Third Man"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP1VPuXEMbg

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:43:44 PM by BlueAmber63 »
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 01:08:53 AM »
My top 10 and Guilty Pleasures movie is "Big Eden". I can never get enough of it.

https://youtu.be/WSxGRfZuGGc

This is silly, but I even have an outline of a continuation of the movie.

Such a feelgood film. And I like the fact that the main character isn’t glamorous.

Glad to hear you do that, Linda. Me too for some films and books!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 07:57:04 AM »

I saw it once. A very nice little movie. I could gladly see it again. :)

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 06:24:40 PM »
Today I watched a good little movie called "Brooklyn" (2015). Main characters being
Ellis....played by Saoirse Ronan.....and Tony Florello....played by Emory Cohen.

She (Ellis) is young Irish girl who emigrates to US ... and goes to live in Brooklyn.

She meets a young Italian man (who are supposed to hate all Irish!) by the name of Tony.
They fall in love (no problems there) ....when she has a message to say her sister has died who still lives at home in Ireland.
She tells Tony she MUST go back ....to see and stay with her mother for a while...even though she has missed her sisters funeral. He says OK ...but first....he wants to get married to her. She agrees.......but they both insist they tell no one for the time being.

I will leave it there....just incase someone has plans on seeing it sometime.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 01:07:30 AM »
Today I watched a good little movie called "Brooklyn" (2015). Main characters being
Ellis....played by Saoirse Ronan.....and Tony Florello....played by Emory Cohen.

She (Ellis) is young Irish girl who emigrates to US ... and goes to live in Brooklyn.

She meets a young Italian man (who are supposed to hate all Irish!) by the name of Tony.
They fall in love (no problems there) ....when she has a message to say her sister has died who still lives at home in Ireland.
She tells Tony she MUST go back ....to see and stay with her mother for a while...even though she has missed her sisters funeral. He says OK ...but first....he wants to get married to her. She agrees.......but they both insist they tell no one for the time being.

I will leave it there....just incase someone has plans on seeing it sometime.
I recorded it yesterday and will watch it soon. The book is by Colm Toibin, I know.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 10:44:02 AM »

Brooklyn's a wonderful movie. It was nominated for a few Oscars a couple years ago, including Saoirse Ronan, Best Picture
and screenplay. Shortly thereafter it was reported that BBC was working on a TV series based on the book, but I haven't
heard anything about that since. Anyone else?

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2018, 11:07:36 AM »
No, I can’t see any reference to it since February 2016 when plans were announced.

I’ll definitely watch the film though.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Obsessed
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 05:45:46 AM »
                                                         ^^^^

Hope I haven't spoil it for you Sara. :)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:05 AM »
Not at all! :) I’ve got a lot to watch atm so haven’t got round to it yet.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »
My "guilty" pleasure film is "Breakfast Club" ! I HAVE to watch it when ever it's on !!!

I'm the same way.  That one, and "Dirty Dancing".

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 10:11:52 AM »

--Annihilation

For admirers of the genre, this film has a lot to offer. Genuine thrills, imaginative effects, ideas worth contemplating, but like many of these "idea" films it just doesn't come together enough to be a satisfying whole. It's not a complete misfire, but when one makes up a story like this you've got to have more character background to empathize with the cast, otherwise what happens is less affecting. The basic premise is that something lands on earth and is causing an area to be taken over by what they call the "Glimmer," and it's growing larger. Any team of people that's gone into this area to find out anything hasn't returned. Except...one person. The film concerns a female team, something different, that goes in to the Glimmer to explore and discover what's going on.

I more or less agree with this one reviewers comment about the film: "Making movies steeped in vagueness these days is proving to be an excellent way to earn critical praise, but being artfully ambiguous strikes me as a way to cover for not being able to finish the job."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 10:48:27 AM »

--A Wrinkle in Time

Oddly, this film has quite a lot of similarities to Annihilation. Both involve a group of people searching for something or someone through an unfamiliar landscape with obstacles along the way. The difference is that Annihilation is very much geared to adults in the telling of the story and "Wrinkle" is 180 degrees in the opposite direction, geared to young adults or children. This film was constructed to be so inclusive that you start looking for it like a game. I know the film was based on a book, but I don't know if that was the case with the original work. (I know someone who read it and he said the book was creepier in tone and plotting.)

Ava Duvernay directed it and while her film SELMA was beautifully directed and affecting, this one is directed with just too much preciousness, with the characters delivering dialogue like they'd smoked pot and are delivering the most fantastic insights, but they're really just stoned.  The premise is that a young girl's father (he's white, played by Chris Pine, with a Grizzly Adams beard) has disappeared (ostensibly through a "wrinkle in time" -- and space) and she (black), her brother (?), and a white boy go on this journey to find him with the help of three "celestial-guides" (?) who are played by Oprah (black), Mindy Kaling (Indian) and Reese Witherspoon acting like she just stepped off the bus. Along the way they run into some bad guys like Michael Pena (Latin). The casting is as much a special effect as the visual effects are.

These "guides" are called the three Mrs. and their names just seem so un-clever or under-thought, I couldn't take it seriously... Mrs. Which, Mrs. Whatsit and Mrs. Who. (Should've been "misses".)  The younger brother is called Charles Wallace (his first and middle name, though for a good part of the time I just thought he was from a different mother) and his name "Charles Wallace" is repeated so often that it just becomes intolerable and unrealistic to think anyone would keep calling him that.

The more this film went on the more annoying it became until I didn't care whether they found her father or not. I know there isn't a lot of films with a teen black girl as the lead, but there were so many close-ups of her with the camera swirling around her head with really no reason that it started to seem ludicrous. It kept feeling like a point was being made instead of a movie. And the father (Chris Pine) a supposed scientist, seems as stupid and naive as one could imagine and so it's hard to believe anyone would want to go after him. The girl's white boy classmate is so neutered that he seems like extra baggage. The one good thing in the film is the 9 year old actor playing the lead's younger brother. (Charles Wallace...stoppp!) His name is Deric McCabe, he is of Filipino descent and was born in Whitefish, Montana, and moved to Los Angeles with his parents a year later. He only has 3 IMDB credits, including this one, but you'd think he'd had a whole lot more experience. He starts off as a precocious good-natured younger brother-type, eager to go on this journey, but through some deception, turns into an evil obstacle for the group to deal with. A really good performance and based on this it seems we could be seeing more of him.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
--A Wrinkle in Time

Oddly, this film has quite a lot of similarities to Annihilation. Both involve a group of people searching for something or someone through an unfamiliar landscape with obstacles along the way. The difference is that Annihilation is very much geared to adults in the telling of the story and "Wrinkle" is 180 degrees in the opposite direction, geared to young adults or children. This film was constructed to be so inclusive that you start looking for it like a game. I know the film was based on a book, but I don't know if that was the case with the original work. (I know someone who read it and he said the book was creepier in tone and plotting.)

When I was a kid, shortly after the book was published, my elementary school class was shown a presentation about the book on "Educational TV" (aka PBS). Based on the presentation, I thought the book sounded very creepy. I had no interest in it then, and none now. Goes for the movie, too.

I'm guessing the names of the Celestial Guides come directly from the book.