The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428106 times)

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #150 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:14 PM »
I also used to change the language. My Mac is set up to change the flag from Australia (No NZ :( ) to German or French but usually I am typing in that language anyway.  I only just found this
https://www.bu.edu/geddes/files/2011/04/accents-mac.pdf

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2018, 03:26:40 AM »
I just ordered both of them. The Eddie and Cruisers also includes Eddie and the Cruisers II.

Does it say something/Dear God, what does it say, about a 60-year-old gay man ordering a couple of 35-year-old films just to see the smoldering young hottie who starred in them?  :laugh:
This is the film I remember him for  most and yeah those eyes... V.
--> https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001595/mediaviewer/rm2763729920

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2018, 02:21:29 PM »
I went out with a couple of friends to see the movie "Book Club ". It was a riotously funny movie. Definitely made for 'women of a certain age'.

It was a very a very enjoyable hour and a half. 4 women who have known each other since college, still get together for a book club, and lots of wine, each picking a book every month. One picks "50 Shades of Grey", and all their lives change, as they finish the first book and then read the other 2 in the series.

Jane Fonda, Mary Steenburgen, Candace Bergen, and Diane Keeton play the 4 friends, and Don Johnson, Craig T. Nelson, Richard Dreyfus, and Andy Garcia, respectively, play their love interests.

It really is a great movie, but as I said, it is only going to appeal to women of a certain age, but it sure was fun to watch.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2018, 02:08:34 PM »
I went out with a couple of friends to see the movie "Book Club ". It was a riotously funny movie. Definitely made for 'women of a certain age'.

It was a very a very enjoyable hour and a half. 4 women who have known each other since college, still get together for a book club, and lots of wine, each picking a book every month. One picks "50 Shades of Grey", and all their lives change, as they finish the first book and then read the other 2 in the series.

Jane Fonda, Mary Steenburgen, Candace Bergen, and Diane Keeton play the 4 friends, and Don Johnson, Craig T. Nelson, Richard Dreyfus, and Andy Garcia, respectively, play their love interests.

It really is a great movie, but as I said, it is only going to appeal to women of a certain age, but it sure was fun to watch.

My sister saw it and thoroughly enjoyed as well. It's a great cast.
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #154 on: May 27, 2018, 04:57:34 PM »

And gay men, maybe?

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #155 on: May 28, 2018, 06:09:39 AM »
And gay men, maybe?
LOL!! Jeff!  ;D....that's probably a given in certain circles.... ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #156 on: May 28, 2018, 11:42:20 AM »

--Les Girls

A 1957 MGM musical film in widescreen. It stars Gene Kelly and Mitzi Gaynor, Kay Kendall and Taina Elg.
Really much ado about nothing. It has one outstanding dance sequence. The music was by Cole Porter,
but the songs are few and far between and not memorable at all. The most memorable music is what
they use on the soundtrack behind the stage scenes--Be a Clown from "The Pirate." It has a long sequence
where Gene Kelly lies about his health which is something i hate in movies. The costume design won an
Oscar for Orry-Kelly. There are dozens of much better musicals to see than this one.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
And gay men, maybe?

Maybe....... 
 8)
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2018, 07:37:06 AM »
This is the film I remember him for  most and yeah those eyes... V.
--> https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001595/mediaviewer/rm2763729920

Maybe I should check that one out, too. I think I said I remember at the time thinking that the plot didn't sound interesting to me, but, then, neither did the plots of Streets of Fire and Eddie and the Cruisers.

I'm still waiting for the arrival of Streets and Eddie/Eddie II. So, we'll see. In retrospect it could be that The Philadelphia Experiment might interest me more than Streets and Eddie/Eddie II. After all, I didn't order Streets and the two Eddies for their plots.  :laugh:

And, as you said, "Yeah, those eyes." I've downloaded about a dozen photos of the young Michael, and those eyes could knock you out of your chair.

Funny thing. Now when I look at those photos of Michael in his 20's, I can see the root of Michael at age 60.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »

--The Young Girls of Rochefort

This is a French musical about two sisters in search of love, they're hired as carnival singers and fall for a couple
of guys they meet, "A film whose scenario is much less important than its feeling of euphory," according to the
director, Jacques Demy, who also did the wonderful The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. The film has Catherine Deneuve
in it and a couple Americans, George Chakiris and Gene Kelly. The music is by famed composer Michel Legrand.

It's light and breezy, colorful and energetic, full of pretty people, song and dance. Everything about it screams 1967,
the year of its French release, and in a good way.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #160 on: May 29, 2018, 08:56:16 PM »
George Chakiris

Woof. ...   :o  Thud!

Offline FoS

• Obsessed
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2018, 03:13:53 AM »
--The Young Girls of Rochefort

This is a French musical about two sisters in search of love, they're hired as carnival singers and fall for a couple
of guys they meet, "A film whose scenario is much less important than its feeling of euphory," according to the
director, Jacques Demy, who also did the wonderful The Umbrellas of Cherbourg. The film has Catherine Deneuve
in it and a couple Americans, George Chakiris and Gene Kelly. The music is by famed composer Michel Legrand.

It's light and breezy, colorful and energetic, full of pretty people, song and dance. Everything about it screams 1967,
the year of its French release, and in a good way.

C. Deneuve was one of the sisters, and the other was her real life sister Françoise Dorléac. Equally beautiful and talented, she had a growing international career when she died, aged only 25, in a solo car accident in 1967. Same year that ” les demoiselles de rochefort” premiered.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2018, 07:35:31 AM »
C. Deneuve was one of the sisters, and the other was her real life sister Françoise Dorléac. Equally beautiful and talented, she had a growing international career when she died, aged only 25, in a solo car accident in 1967. Same year that ” les demoiselles de rochefort” premiered.

When I was very young, I  became convinced that Catherine Deneuve was the most beautiful woman in the world.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
I'm still waiting for the arrival of Streets and Eddie/Eddie II. So, we'll see. In retrospect it could be that The Philadelphia Experiment might interest me more than Streets and Eddie/Eddie II. After all, I didn't order Streets and the two Eddies for their plots.  :laugh:

The DVDs arrived today. Tonight's feature was Streets of Fire. It was fun. Of course it's chief attraction was Michael. It wasn't my taste in movies in the early 1980s, and it isn't now, but I'm glad I've now seen it.

A lot of interesting names connected with the music in the film.

Willem Dafoe looked like a vampire. That man sure has had a strange and interesting career. Fun to recognize young Bill Paxton.

I might get to Eddie tomorrow night. I want to learn more about the two Eddies. I'm beginning to formulate a theory as to why young Michael didn't become a bigger star, but I need more data.

And I guess I do have to get The Philadelphia Experiment.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2018, 09:23:03 PM »
I might get to Eddie tomorrow night.

So, indeed, tonight, the second night of my Michael Paré Film Festival,  :laugh: was Eddie and the Cruisers.

I liked it. Oddly, at least twice while I was watching it, I felt myself choking up. I have no idea why. I was 5 years old in 1963, too young for that whole early-60's Jersey Shore band scene. Maybe I was being nostalgic for a time and a place that I never knew?

I read some interesting things about the movie. I learned that John Cafferty (John Cafferty and the Beaver Brown Band) scored the movie. I well remember "The Dark Side." I don't remember if I knew it was from this movie.

After listening to Michael in Streets of Fire, I more or less expected to learn that he did not sing as Eddie. Then today I read that Janet Maslin in the New York Times called Michael's lip-synching "almost perfect." I couldn't find anything today that said who did Eddie's singing. I suspected it was probably John Cafferty, and, if I read the credits right, I guess I'm correct. I think I read that the Cruisers' music was performed by the Beaver Brown Band, and Cafferty sang lead vocals, so that would make sense. It sounded like John Cafferty's voice, and his singing voice sounded close enough to Michael Paré's speaking voice to make it plausible.

It was an added delight to find that Tom Berenger is in the movie. I've always liked him--I loved him as the guy with the Magnum, P.I.-type TV series in The Big Chill. He's another one about whom I've wondered why he didn't become a bigger star.

Funny. I do want to watch Streets of Fire and  again. Soon.

Why did Michael Paré not become a big star?  :(

And, yes, I do have to get The Philadelphia Experiment.