The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 433818 times)

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2018, 11:07:53 AM »

--Grease 2

Maybe because Jeff is watching early 1980's movies, I watched one, too, last night. Believe it or not, I didn't
really care for the first Grease movie, though I had known about and listened to the stage musical version
for many years before that. It was also a movie I was exposed to, for various reasons, so much that I just
got really tired of it.

I know this one was really panned when it cam out and sank, but it amused me enough that I enjoyed myself watching
it last night. The songs are pretty entertaining and the cast is giving it their all. If one doesn't know, Michelle Pfeiffer is
the lead, along with Maxwell Caulfield. Michelle came out of it unscathed, but Maxwell didn't fare so well in his career
right after this film. I don't know why. Maybe he and Michael Pare should have done a love story together!

There's a raft of 50's stars in it, to keep one's interest, too, like Eve Arden, Sid Caesar and Tab Hunter. The plot is somewhat
like the reverse of the first Grease. A new student from overseas, this time Maxwell from Britain instead of Olivia from Australia,
catches the eye of the opposite sex and sparks ignite. I'd always thought this sequel was still in the 1950's, so I was surprised
it takes place in 1961. The first one was such a megahit I don't think this ever had a chance, even though the critics concensus
on RT is: "Grease 2 is undeniably stocked with solid songs and well-choreographed dance sequences, but there's no getting around
the fact that it's a blatant retread of its far more entertaining predecessor."

If one might recall, the critics didn't really like the 1st one, either, but it was such a success, your thumbs go up more than down.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2018, 11:36:42 AM »
And, yes, I do have to get The Philadelphia Experiment.

I ordered The Philadelphia Experiment this morning, from a reliable (meaning I've bought from them before) seller on eBay.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »
--Grease 2

I never saw either, not the first one nor this one.

This is another case where the whole concept did not attract me. In fact, it turned me off altogether.

Was Grease responsible for the proliferation of Fifties theme parties? I hate theme parties. ...

(BTW, I never watched Happy Days, either, nor have I ever seen American Graffiti.)

And talk about obsession. Now I'm wondering if any of Michael Paré's TV roles are "out there."  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2018, 09:50:16 PM »
Well, tonight I concluded my Michael Pare film festival  ;D  with Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives!

I understand the movie chattering classes who disliked Eddie and Cruisers disliked Eddie II even more. Since the opinion that matters to me is mine, I'll say I liked it. It's kind of a redemption story, so it's more upbeat. I had the impression there is more music in it, also, than in Eddie I.

This isn't to say I don't find issues. For much of the film they've got Michael in sideburns and a mustache that make him look like Robert Goulet. Also, it seems to me that people who had no reason to, including  a whole auditorium full of people, too readily accepted "Joe West" as somebody who supposedly had been dead for 20 years. I missed Tom Berenger.

But Janet Maslin was correct: Michael really was pretty good at lip-synching.

The Philadelphia Experiment should arrive next week. I'll look forward to seeing that, now. And I will watch Streets of Fire and both Eddies again. Eddie II just might join my list of feel-good movies.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2018, 10:23:38 AM »
I never saw either, not the first one nor this one.
This is another case where the whole concept did not attract me. In fact, it turned me off altogether.
Was Grease responsible for the proliferation of Fifties theme parties? I hate theme parties. ...
(BTW, I never watched Happy Days, either, nor have I ever seen American Graffiti.)

That's interesting that you never watched any of these films or shows that caught the fancy of so many.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2018, 11:58:44 AM »
That's interesting that you never watched any of these films or shows that caught the fancy of so many.

It puzzles even me. I've just never had any interest in that Fifties nostalgia.  :(

Maybe I just don't like the look of guys with "that greasy kid stuff" in their hair.   :laugh:

I've never card for that later incarnation, either, guys with so much jell, or whatever it is, in their hair. To me it just looks like they need to wash their hair.

I couldn't say now why I never had any interest in Happy Days, either. I've determined that the show ran at 8 p.m. Tuesday ET for 10 years, but I really don't know what it was up against that I or my family may have been watching instead. I noticed that about half the show's run fell in my college and graduate school years, when I wasn't watching much of anything. It seems to me that the show was among those cultural phenomena where you don't have to watch it to know who's who and what's what.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 12:18:18 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2018, 08:44:39 PM »
The Big Chill, absolutely one of my all-time Favs......I just wasn't sure why they put Meg Tilly in it though, her character, or casting, just didn't FIT the rest of the crew, IMHO, you understand? It was one of those films where the ensemble was PERFECT, to me, anyway!! LOL...I always wondered why Tom Berenger AND JoBeth Williams didn't go on to become BIGGER stars, I think they both have had steady work, which is GREAT for anyone in that industry!!

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #172 on: June 03, 2018, 11:26:05 AM »
To me it just looks like they need to wash their hair.

Heh!

How do you feel about the current look of guys looking like they just got up and don't bother to shave. Scruffy.
And many with tattoos?  It's especially noticeable on commercials. I have to wonder when actors are hired for them,
do they just show up looking like that or are told to? I'm not talking about facial hair that looks like it's supposed to be
that way...like trimmed beards, I'm talking about looking like one is too lazy to shave and looks scruffy. There's a
series of Verizon commercials with a guy that isn't particularly handsome with that look and it just bugs me. I was
told by someone this guy is an actor on Game of Thrones. When those commercials come on I keep thinking, "Really
Verizon? You actually want your spokesman to look like this?"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #173 on: June 03, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »
How do you feel about the current look of guys looking like they just got up and don't bother to shave. Scruffy.
And many with tattoos?  It's especially noticeable on commercials. I have to wonder when actors are hired for them,
do they just show up looking like that or are told to? I'm not talking about facial hair that looks like it's supposed to be
that way...like trimmed beards,
I'm talking about looking like one is too lazy to shave and looks scruffy. There's a
series of Verizon commercials with a guy that isn't particularly handsome with that look and it just bugs me. I was
told by someone this guy is an actor on Game of Thrones. When those commercials come on I keep thinking, "Really
Verizon? You actually want your spokesman to look like this?"

I really can't say. For me it's so highly individualistic. Right now I can't picture anyone who looks like I think you are describing. This I can say: Guys who don't have enough facial hair to begin with should not attempt the "scruff" look. On guys like that, it really does look as if they're too lazy to shave. The unkempt hair look bothers me more than the facial hair.

I don't think I've seen those Verizon commercials.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
The Big Chill, absolutely one of my all-time Favs......I just wasn't sure why they put Meg Tilly in it though, her character, or casting, just didn't FIT the rest of the crew, IMHO, you understand? It was one of those films where the ensemble was PERFECT, to me, anyway!! LOL...I always wondered why Tom Berenger AND JoBeth Williams didn't go on to become BIGGER stars, I think they both have had steady work, which is GREAT for anyone in that industry!!

Actually, IMO, I thought that was the whole point of her being there, at least as far as her character went (I did think she seemed stoned): she was the outsider; she didn't fit in. Alex, the dead guy (we all know that was Kevin Costner, don't we), had taken up with somebody totally inappropriate, someone at least (I'm guessing) ten years younger than himself and possibly more It's been years and years since I last watched the film (I still have the VHS tape but nothing to play it on!  :laugh: ), but I remember thinking Chloe was supposed to be barely past age 20, if that old. The others were all in their 30s, and she was practically a child in comparison. Come to think of it, it strikes me now that if that's what they were going for, she was pretty well cast. (I ought to see how old Meg Tilly was when the film was made or released).
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 06:25:05 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2018, 02:06:52 PM »
Actually, IMO, I thought that was the whole point of her being there, at least as far as her character went (I did think she seemed stoned): she was the outsider; she didn't fit in. Alex, the dead guy (we all know that was Kevin Costner, don't we), had taken up with somebody totally inappropriate, someone at least (I'm guessing) ten years younger than himself and possibly more It's been years and years since I last watched the film (I still have the VHS tape but nothing to pay it on!  :laugh: ), but I remember thinking Chloe was supposed to be barely past age 20, if that old. The others were all in their 30s, and she was practically a child in comparison. Come to think of it, it strikes me now that if that's what they were going for, she was pretty well cast. (I ought to see how old Meg Tilly was when the film was made or released).

I agree, TBC is one of my top 20 all-time favorite films.  funny story sort of.  A friend and I went to see this my SR year in highschool... we walked out and wondered WTF all the fuss was about.   Fast forward about 3 or 4 years later and TBC was playing at the my college's student union, so I thought why not.  I walked outta there this time with a totally different perspective on the film.  The fact that Costner ended up on the cutting room floor, well all except his slashed wrists, always sort of sucked.  It was one of the first films he ever did and we never got to see more than his wrists.  Go figure.   V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2018, 06:27:47 PM »
I agree, TBC is one of my top 20 all-time favorite films.  funny story sort of.  A friend and I went to see this my SR year in highschool... we walked out and wondered WTF all the fuss was about.   Fast forward about 3 or 4 years later and TBC was playing at the my college's student union, so I thought why not.  I walked outta there this time with a totally different perspective on the film.  The fact that Costner ended up on the cutting room floor, well all except his slashed wrists, always sort of sucked.  It was one of the first films he ever did and we never got to see more than his wrists.  Go figure.   V.

It seems to me it would have been a very different film if we had seen Alex alive, albeit in flashbacks.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2018, 06:37:36 PM »
I might get to Eddie tomorrow night.

Actually, I've already watched Eddie and the Cruisers twice (Thursday and Saturday), and Eddie II on Friday, and will again tonight.  ::)

Funny, but even in a movie like Eddie I, you pick up things on a second viewing that you miss on the first. I guess maybe all movies are like that, huh? Example: On my second go-round, I picked up on Eddie making fun of the names of several colleges where the Cruisers had played. I completely missed that the first time.

Another funny thing. I have not been able to find any fan fiction based on Eddie I. It could be that the film is just too old, or didn't inspire enough affection, or my Internet research skills just ain't that great. IMO there is a plot point in the film that just screams for a slash short story.  ::)  I could write it myself; I probably will, just for my own amusement--aw, hell, it's half-written in my head already. I just won't have any place to go with it when it's done, I guess.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2018, 08:35:08 AM »
Well, here's one I did not see this weekend: Jurassic World.

It eluded my notice that NBC was broadcasting it last night. It popped up when I was setting up to play a DVD. Probably I  should have watched it, because I have not seen it, and from the brief bit I saw last night, it appeared that everything I had heard about Chris Pratt's body was true.  :D

Instead I felt a greater need to watch the DVD I was planning to view.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2018, 12:03:34 PM »

--High Society

An underrated MGM musical from 1956. It stars 4 Oscar winners, Bing Crosby, Grace Kelly,
Celeste Holm and Frank Sinatra. This particular film is interested in the personal relationships
of the story and not the crowd spectaculars, so it's light on dancing, but vocals are spectacular.
It was Kelly's last film, which is a shame, because her under used comedic talents were on display.
Louis Armstrong and his jazz combo are an added treat.