The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 434622 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #315 on: September 13, 2018, 12:13:24 PM »
"I'll admit I may have seen better days…

…but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #316 on: September 13, 2018, 01:31:34 PM »
"I'll admit I may have seen better days…

…but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail."

A martini. Very dry.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #317 on: September 17, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »

--Day for Night

Had never seen this well-known film before I watched it with a couple friends last night. It's quite captivating and
deserves its reputation!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #318 on: September 17, 2018, 06:10:26 PM »

Hello Ultimate Brokeback Forum members.

Near the end of August I put up posts about accepting donations to keep the Ultimate Brokeback Forum online.

The last of the donations have come in, and the total will be released in the latest edition of The Daily Sheet
in the lead story.

Please see The Daily Sheet when it is posted for 9/18/18 for the update on our collection of donations.

Thanks!

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #319 on: September 18, 2018, 05:31:54 PM »
Over the w/e i watched the disturbing movie "Mississippi Burning".
Starring: Gene Hackman...William Dafoe... and the fabulous Francis McDormand and
so many other great actors.

The story is based on real events that happened in Mississippi. It concerns the murder of 3 young men working for civil rights. They had been to a civil rights
meeting and were driving back through Mississippi...when they were spotted by
some members of the KKK....noticing that one of the young men was coloured.

Great movie...but as I said very disturbing.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #320 on: September 19, 2018, 12:12:58 AM »
I watched it really long ago, but it's still in my mind, it really impressed me.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #321 on: September 19, 2018, 10:23:04 AM »

--Being Julia

I only saw this film when it first came out, way back in 2004 if you can believe it. I decided I'd like
to revisit it and am glad I did. Annette Bening is superb with delightful supporting players like Jeremy
Irons, Juliet Stevenson and Miriam Margolies. I wish she'd won the Oscar for this role.

What I didn't realize before, and noticed in the credits, is that this film is based on a short story by
Somerset Maugham titled "Theatre."

The DVD I rented had some special features including 5 minutes of deleted scenes which was a nice
treat for some added enjoyment.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #322 on: September 30, 2018, 05:22:36 PM »
Fahrenheit 11/9 - Michael Moore.
I was happy to see that there was a (relatively) good crowd at today's first screening. Usually i'm one of a handful of people in the room but today there were at least thirty people. The film really puts both the Republican and the Democratic parties through the wringer. It was infuriating to watch but it's definitely a must see.
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2018, 04:25:06 PM »
Last night I watched "A Few Good Men"1992....starring Tom Cruise...Jack Nicholson...Demi Moore.....Kevin Bacon.

It's a court room drama. A fellow Marine gets murdered at the Guantanamo
Naval Base.

Jack Nicholson was only on screen for a maximum of 20-25 minutes ....and YES...
he stole the movie !!

Tom Cruise played a decent part...but he looked about 12 years old !!!!!!

For all that it was a decent movie. :D
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #324 on: October 06, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

--A Star is Born (2018)

I don't want to place a damper on anyone who might enjoy this film, but ever since I'd
seen the preview for it in August I was not expecting it to like it very much, because it
resembles the 1976 film a great deal.  And that one, for whatever reason, I had never
seen until two years ago. I really disliked that one.

This version is a whole lot better than that one, however. Bradley Cooper is quite affecting, but
he chose to lower his voice and sound so much like Kris Kristofferson that I couldn't shake that
notion. It also has touches of the film where Jeff Bridges played a country singer and won an Oscar
for it. Lady Gaga has a voice and can belt tunes, but as an actress I really didn't find her all that
engaging.

Of course, a lot of the problem for me is that I've seen all the other versions and the precursor film, so
there was no real surprise in the arc of the story telling. I kept waiting for the main plot elements to
be checked off.  I always say that there has to be at least one good reason to remake a film and I was
hoping there was something a little more here than two huge stars wanting to create their own versions
of the roles, like many do with Hamlet or The Glass Menagerie.

In my opinion I'd like to see the roles reversed.  I'd like to see a famous woman on her way down while the
up and comer is male, especially in the time of "MeToo,"and how that would play out. Or maybe a same sex
pairing? And why not change it up and perhaps set the story in the world of politics or something.

There's several decent new songs in the movie, but I can't say, at least this morning, they're going to be as
famous as "The Man That Got Away" or "Evergreen" from previous film incarnations. I was especially disappointed
in one song, which I was going to elaborate on, but won't as it might be a spoiler in some ways.
___

Before I hit "post" I checked out the Rotten Tomatoes site and find that a whole lot of critics are liking this film
and ones that I would never have expected to. Maybe it's a film that is really right for the times...a diversion for
all the angst we're feeling lately. I don't know.  But I'll have to say that I guess if anyone has a desire to see it
then they'll probably like it.  Can't wait to hear what others here think of it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #325 on: October 07, 2018, 11:35:36 AM »

--First Man

How many of you could recognize a picture of the first man on the moon, Neil Armstrong?  I could not.
There's a reason NASA chose this man to be saddled with the monumental task of being the "First Man,"
but who really knows anything about him and what he was like. I'm afraid this movie doesn't help with
that. I have not read books about the people who spent a decade edging ever closer to the moon, so my
knowledge of their personal stories is limited, but since this film is based on a book about him, I thought
we'd get a picture of who this guy was.

What we get is his life shown through the experiences he went through, concentrating on the years he
was involved with NASA, but considering some of the personalities we do know about from the 1960's
astronaut program, like the appealing John Glenn or the energetic and talkative Buzz Aldrin, Armstrong
is pretty much the strong silent type.  So watching the film it feels like we're being kept at a distance
from who and what his personality is.

I might compare this, oddly, to the Andrews Sisters. I had always wondered why there hadn't been any film
(or documentary) about these hugely popular and influential singers who were the sensation of the Big Band
years. Then I read a book about them and realized why. There was not a lot of drama to be told about their lives.
They really were nice people and their relationship with one another was at the worst, cordial, and so if a film needs
some kind of conflict, there isn't really anything to base a movie on. They had talent, they honed it, the believed in
and enjoyed what they were doing, had a great work ethic and they sang and people loved it. It's kind of the same
with Armstrong. Their problems at the worst were not the stuff of a movie story.

SIDEBAR: For a current observation, imagine if Bradley Cooper's character in A Star is Born was like that. What would that
film be like?

It's much the same with Armstrong. A lot of sadness seems to have pervaded his life with coming from WWII, mentioned
but not shown, and then family loss, followed by the dangers of his profession. In the film, it's all introspective as to how
he reacts to it, so I felt the film was way more somber than I expected it to be. The story of these people who braved the
obstacles is still a good story, but the person at the center of it is more like the eye of a hurricane. That's precisely why he
was NASA's choice to be at the center of the Apollo program.

I admit I was caught off guard with the solemnity of much of the film. I expected it to be, at least in the final stages, a bit
more uplifting and/or, well let's say entertaining. I expect the feeling I got was because I was thinking of movies about this
subject matter like The Right Stuff, Apollo 13 and Hidden Figures that had so many appealing figures in it that you could
relate to or empathize with. Neil Armstrong may have been the perfect choice for this job, but may not have been the perfect
choice to revolve a movie around.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #326 on: October 07, 2018, 12:27:55 PM »
^^^^  Thanks for the candid review.  This film is on my must see list.  It's good to know going in that it will be more a reflection than a drama/conflict approach!  For me, it's just a different way of telling the story of a man's life who made human  history.  Sometimes, I wonder if he had the better of the choices between full of crazy drama or a steady, reliable, quiet, existence which may be boring by some points-of-view... but who's to judge.   V.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:06:57 AM by gattaca »

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #327 on: October 08, 2018, 01:40:47 AM »
Yesterday I watched "Hell or High Water". I really liked it, a modern western with social message. Jeff Bridges is incredible in it. I am not much of a critic writer, as you can see, but I really appreciated the effort of the movie in exposing the consequences of the crisis on poor people and the hypocrisy of the bank system, which deceived them into mortal traps with their mortgage system. 

PS: Every time they mentioned Childress a shudder went down my back, that's how obsessed I am  ???

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #328 on: October 08, 2018, 01:44:32 AM »

Thanks, Lyle, for the ASIB review. Insightful and informative.

I didn't intend to watch that movie, and now even less so.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #329 on: October 08, 2018, 02:13:38 AM »
Yesterday I watched "Hell or High Water". I really liked it, a modern western with social message. Jeff Bridges is incredible in it. I am not much of a critic writer, as you can see, but I really appreciated the effort of the movie in exposing the consequences of the crisis on poor people and the hypocrisy of the bank system, which deceived them into mortal traps with their mortgage system. 

PS: Every time they mentioned Childress a shudder went down my back, that's how obsessed I am  ???

I think I wrote a review of "Hell or High Water" a while back too.  YES!  This is one of the best films Bridges has done in years.  He had a perfect "almost dude" role which felt like it was written just for him!  There's plenty of drama with the two brothers and the story is about the pure greed. Also, Chris Pine, who's one of the brothers, is always on my top 10 list. It's a rarity that I do not see most of his work unless the critical reviews are just awful.   8)  V.