The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 434493 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #420 on: November 21, 2018, 10:37:35 AM »
Sunday evening I watched part of Plymouth Adventure (1952).

I'd always wanted this to be a movie I'd watch every Thanksgiving time, but you're right, it is not that good.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #421 on: November 21, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »
Patricia Nell Warren's The Front Runner is one of first gay novels I read.  It's hard to believe the actually used that title given the famous nature of of that novel.  V.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #422 on: November 24, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
I went with my girl to watch The Crimes Of Grindelwald... In 3D... With popcorn and nachos... And discovered that I am too old for that kind of cinema experience!  :laugh: The movie is ok, entertaining, fun, a bit darker as the other Harry Potter universe stories, but it's not, well, it will become no classic, let's leave it at that. There is a really brief gay moment in Dumbledore's memories, but if you blink you miss it, let's see what JK Rowling makes of this storyline in the next one.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #423 on: November 25, 2018, 03:46:31 PM »
Had lovely relaxing Sunday. Watched the movie "Rebecca" 1940 starring Laurence Olivier
as Max De Winter and Joan Fontaine as the new young Mrs De Winter  and the deliciously wicked Judith Anderson as Mrs Danvers the housekeeper who could curdle milk with just
one look !!!!It's a real good old fashioned Sunday afternoon movie.An oldie...but a goodie !!

One thing I did notice....you never know the name of the new "Mrs De Winter".
No one ever says her name.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2018, 04:04:55 PM »
Had lovely relaxing Sunday. Watched the movie "Rebecca" 1940 starring Laurence Olivier
as Max De Winter and Joan Fontaine as the new young Mrs De Winter  and the deliciously wicked Judith Anderson as Mrs Danvers the housekeeper who could curdle milk with just
one look !!!!It's a real good old fashioned Sunday afternoon movie.An oldie...but a goodie !!

Love that film!

Yup, we never learn the name of the new Mrs. De Winter.

Funny little story. A long, long time ago, I was discussing this film with a friend, and she quoted the line as, "Last night I dreamed I went to Mandelay."

My friend was from Ohio. I gently told her that was "Manderly" pronounced with a British accent.

Another friend likes to quote the line, "You'd better go, Mrs. Van Hopper. You'll miss your train."  ;D

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »

The Green Book - with Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali and Linda Cardellini

I really enjoyed this film. I'm a big Viggo fan and he didn't disappoint. A real crowd pleaser.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 07:53:10 PM by oilgun »
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #426 on: November 26, 2018, 04:59:57 PM »
^^^

Totally agree, Gil!

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #427 on: November 27, 2018, 03:10:19 AM »
I have not seen the film but thought immediately of "Driving Mrs. Daisy" with the racial twist. WOW and launched right during "Oscar-bait" season!  The only review I've let myself read,  b/c I did not want to just "assume," is from Ebert's site.  No spoilers below in the quote.  Looks like a must see based on your comments here and that review.

There are spoilers in the review so mind carefully if you jump -> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/green-book-2018

"But damned if it doesn’t work beautifully for nearly the entirety of its two hour-plus running time. “Green Book” is the kind of old-fashioned film making big studios just don’t offer anymore. It’s glossy and zippy, gliding along the surface of deeply emotional, complex issues while dipping down into them just enough to give us a taste of some actual substance."

It sits at 82% on Rotten today.  That surprises me given "things they way they are..."   V.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #428 on: November 27, 2018, 05:28:03 PM »
^^^

Totally agree, Gil!

One thing that really annoyed me, however, is the way Viggo's character eats like a pig. Spitting food on the car seat next to him while eating greasy fried chicken, folding a large pizza in half to take a bite, in bed, no less. I mean who eats like that? It drove me nuts and took me out of the story.

A lot of American films seem to have gross scenes involving food. Julie's husband in Julie and Julia also had disgusting table manners. My friend and I couldn't help but comment every time we saw him literally slobbering over a meal. Even in A Star is Born there is a scene where Bradley inexplicably shoves a bagel with cream cheese in Lady Ga Ga's face!

Not to mention the "classic" food fight scenes over the years. I always found them more offensive than funny. Even Fried Green Tomatoes had one. Couldn't they just have a lesbian lovemaking scene instead?  :)
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #429 on: November 27, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »
Gil!! I think that's just the way American Films have gone.....gross eating or food scenes!! I don't care for them either, and yes, it does TAKE YOU OUT of the Film....never been a fan of those scenes....I don't even think it's a comment on the eating habits of most Americans, so not sure WHY so many films have those scenes....... :o :o :o

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #430 on: November 27, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »

Not sure if it's been mentioned but they are remaking it with Armie Hammer and Lily James:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/15/lily-james-armie-hammer-star-rebecca-remake

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #431 on: November 28, 2018, 08:27:00 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned but they are remaking it with Armie Hammer and Lily James:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/nov/15/lily-james-armie-hammer-star-rebecca-remake

Another Classic that has absolutely no reason to be remade. Sorry, folks, but in my opinion, Armie Hammer is no Laurence Olivier.

I will admit out of idle curiosity I'd like to know who they've cast to play Mrs. Danvers, if, indeed, the role has been cast.

Mrs. Danvers is the one who is really obsessed with Rebecca, even more so than Maxim de Winter.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #432 on: November 28, 2018, 09:30:06 AM »
I agree with you, Jeff. Rebecca is just perfect the way it is, is there really such a lack of new ideas for movies?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #433 on: November 28, 2018, 12:58:38 PM »
I agree with you, Jeff. Rebecca is just perfect the way it is, is there really such a lack of new ideas for movies?

And Rebecca has been remade twice already as a TV miniseries:

1979: With Jeremy Brett as Maxim (I think this ran on Masterpiece Theatre here in the U.S. In any case, I remember seeing it.)

1997: With Diana Rigg as Mrs. Danvers (I wish I'd seen that!)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #434 on: November 28, 2018, 05:11:10 PM »
I have not seen the film but thought immediately of "Driving Mrs. Daisy" with the racial twist. WOW and launched right during "Oscar-bait" season!  The only review I've let myself read,  b/c I did not want to just "assume," is from Ebert's site.  No spoilers below in the quote.  Looks like a must see based on your comments here and that review.

There are spoilers in the review so mind carefully if you jump -> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/green-book-2018

"But damned if it doesn’t work beautifully for nearly the entirety of its two hour-plus running time. “Green Book” is the kind of old-fashioned film making big studios just don’t offer anymore. It’s glossy and zippy, gliding along the surface of deeply emotional, complex issues while dipping down into them just enough to give us a taste of some actual substance."

It sits at 82% on Rotten today.  That surprises me given "things the way they are..."   V.

I'm not sure how you meant that, Vincent. What surprises you about the score?

I feel it should be higher, but I think some critics that I've read want their racism in movies to be more like 12 Years a Slave, so I liked the way the reviewer you quoted puts it:  "It’s glossy and zippy, gliding along the surface of deeply emotional, complex issues while dipping down into them just enough to give us a taste of some actual substance."

Not every movie has to have a zero tolerance for something that is unacceptable to modern audiences. People are more apt to have "a moment of realization" in a movie like this one they might not ordinarily have if the film is beating them over the head with it's message. It's based on a true story of these two guys becoming life long friends, after all.