The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428188 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #495 on: January 09, 2019, 11:27:03 AM »
I just saw the BAFTA nominations. Guess which film is the favorite?  :)

12 NOMINATIONS
The Favourite

7 NOMINATIONS
Bohemian Rhapsody
First Man
Roma
A Star Is Born

6 NOMINATIONS
Vice

5 NOMINATIONS
BlacKkKlansman

4 NOMINATIONS
Green Book
Cold War

3 NOMINATIONS
Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Mary Poppins Returns
Mary Queen of Scots
Stan & Ollie

2 NOMINATIONS
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
If Beale Street Could Talk
Isle of Dogs

1 NOMINATION
Avengers: Infinity War
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Beast
Beautiful Boy
Black Panther
Capernaum
Dogman
Incredibles 2
McQueen
Mission: Impossible – Fallout
A Quiet Place
Ready Player One
Shoplifters
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
Widows
The Wife
You Were Never Really Here

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #496 on: January 09, 2019, 01:25:26 PM »

BB, is this a nom. for TC?
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #497 on: January 09, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »

Update: I just found out that it is indeed the nomin. for TC, at the Baftas.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #498 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:57 PM »
Went to see Vice tonight.........Me, oh My!! I do believe it may have caused me to despise Dick Cheney & Co even MORE, if that's possible!! But, it could be up for Oscar noms, so I wanted to see it........

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #499 on: January 13, 2019, 05:59:07 AM »
I have seen the shorts twice and it is on my list but does not start here until Boxing Day (along with The Happy Prince which is a definite for me) Not sure the vomiting appeals to me.  :(

Characters in The Favourite do vomit, but the film doesn't dwell on it.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #500 on: January 13, 2019, 07:45:59 AM »
I loathe seeing vomiting. Even though André Aciman apparently enjoys viewing it! Can’t see the appeal myself...

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #501 on: January 13, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
Went to see Vice tonight.........Me, oh My!! I do believe it may have caused me to despise Dick Cheney & Co even MORE, if that's possible!! But, it could be up for Oscar noms, so I wanted to see it........
Vice is still playing but I think I'll defer to Netflix or another on-demand option.  I despise that SOB and really don't need to get all worked up.  My son saw it and said there were a lot of clips and cuts in the film and at times it was hard to follow if you didn't really know something about the SOB.  So.. once I see, I'll chime in.   V

rotten (62%) -> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/vice_2018
Ebert's site (1.5/4.0) -> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/vice-2018

"Unusual for a writer-director whose language possesses such snap and pizazz, McKay delights in throwing anything and everything up on screen, including type, unexpected news photos (Nancy Reagan sitting on Mr. T’s lap) and stock footage like a clip featuring Marvel’s Galactus, “Devourer of Worlds.”

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #502 on: January 13, 2019, 12:43:41 PM »
Saw "On the Basis of Sex" yesterday to an almost full showing. 

I guess I was hoping for more "enlightment" as one of the reviews below discusses but I understand why they might have chosen a plotted path. Just last night my son's buddy's girlfriend (who's a conservative) was ranting about women HAVING to do the same things as men and evidently my son, who'd just seen the film, told her to go look up one of the many things which have fallen since the 70's:  Being fired from a job when a women gets married, all forms of credit in her husband's name, ... stuff like that.  She came back in an OMG and was the one who was enlightened. 

I'm glad this film was made b/c there's a whole generation of millennials who have no clue about anything in this film!
Sorry, rant off. 

As for the film.  it was a bit slower paced. They were careful to draw clear lines between the way things were and they way things changed.  Armie has a good supporting role but it is clear Felicity is the main attraction. Armie was just as  :o  as in his other films. I'm not complaining!

There are some really good examples of the "male mentality" of the 1970's and I remember all too well all the discussions around "women's rights, women's liberation" and equal pay for equal work which is still not on par.   Her interaction with the Dean of Harvard (Sam Waterston) was in-line with the pervasive attitudes then, and far too many now.

The LA Times summary is reflects my feelings - "“On the Basis of Sex” does its best to prove otherwise, but it is hindered by its own lack of imagination, its contentment with an easy-listening summary of its subject’s accomplishments. It would be silly to expect this movie to achieve the cinematic equivalent of Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s brilliance, but you can’t help wishing it had more to offer than righteous speeches and stirring glances, that it put a few more ideas in your head to go with that lump in your throat."

There are spoilers in the links below, so read lightly.  Bottom line, if you are a big Hammer fan, then ignore the above and enjoy the view!  ;D  V.

Ebert's site (3.5/4.0) -> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/on-the-basis-of-sex-2018
Rotten (71%) -> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/on_the_basis_of_sex
LATimes Review -> https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-on-the-basis-of-sex-review-20181221-story.html
LATimes -> https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/la-en-mn-felicity-jones-20181217-story.html
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 03:56:06 AM by gattaca »

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #503 on: January 13, 2019, 01:19:12 PM »
Characters in The Favourite do vomit, but the film doesn't dwell on it.
Yes I saw it on NYE and the vomiting did not upset me. I quite enjoyed it although I thought it a bit over the top ridiculous.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #504 on: January 13, 2019, 02:41:32 PM »
If you are an Armie fan, then ignore the above and enjoy the view!   

LOL - good advice!
WISE UP

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #505 on: January 14, 2019, 06:43:54 AM »
I'm seeing it this week. I guess it will be worth it just to view Armie for a while?!  :P :laugh: :o

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #506 on: January 14, 2019, 06:50:42 AM »

Most certainly.
WISE UP

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #507 on: January 14, 2019, 04:42:31 PM »

--All is True

This stars Kenneth Branagh, who also directed, Judi Dench and Ian McKellan. The story concerns William Shakespeare.
After his theater burns down he gives up writing plays and comes back home to a lot of personal and family drama. The
film was nicely photographed and was better than I'd expected it to be. A lot of the drama plays out a bit like Dynasty,
so it was entertaining.  The last section seemed a bit redundant, sometimes Branagh doesn't know to quit while he's ahead!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #508 on: January 14, 2019, 05:06:28 PM »

--Magic in the Moonlight

This is a Woody Allen film from a few years ago that I hadn't seen. It stars Colin Firth. He's a
magician who likes to debunk spiritualists and a friend of his sets him on the trail of one played
by Emma Stone. Her mother is played by Marcia Gay Harden, but she's wasted in the film. It's
pretty good, but Woody Allen's cynicism kind of let's down the ending of the film so it isn't a film
you'll end up embracing. As his films go lately, though, this one is better than some of them.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #509 on: January 14, 2019, 05:07:09 PM »

--The Wife

I didn't know what this film was about, but if offers way more interest than I'd expected it to.
Glenn Close plays "the wife" of a novelist, played by Jonathan Pryce, who is awarded the Nobel
prize in literature. Flashbacks, with the couple played by Glenn's real life daughter Annie Stark
and Harry Lloyd, show how this present circumstance might not live up to what we believe it
ought to be.

Livening up the proceedings is a good scene with a character played by Elizabeth McGovern and a nice
supporting role for Christian Slater. The acting is uniformly good, with one minor exception. Max Irons,
Jeremy Irons son, plays the son in this film and he seemed very out of place with the rest of the cast.