The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428108 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #555 on: January 22, 2019, 02:29:10 PM »

Eight movies, or nine to choose from for Best Movie - that's too much. It should be five, like before.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #556 on: January 22, 2019, 04:22:04 PM »
Glenn Close has won all the other major awards to date, and tied with Lady Gaga for the Film Critics Award.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #557 on: January 22, 2019, 04:34:36 PM »

Suspense!
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #558 on: January 22, 2019, 05:47:41 PM »
I guess I'm going to have to rent Blackklansman......but Black Panther? An Oscar-worthy film?
[...]
Maybe it's just a nod to it's tremendous box-office figures?! hmmmm?

That success and also all the talk about it being historic because it was a black cast, story and crew.  Mostly, of course.
But as superhero films go...it wouldn't be my choice to nominate. Maybe if it was an all gay superhero film I'd feel differently.  :)

I hope Glenn Close wins though! Haven't seen The Wife either, will try too!! She's a great actress, IMHO, you understand?!

Over the years of handicapping Oscars, one of the downsides Glenn Close faces to win is that The Wife only got
one nomination. Normally one nomination isn't going to do it for an actress win. Not never, but almost. Julianne Moore
overcame that a couple years ago with her film Still Alice only getting one nomination, but two of her competition
that year were also one nomination films, the next had two. Only Felicity Jones was in a picture nominee. This year
three of Glenn's competitors are in Best Picture nominated films, indicating nice support for those films. There is also
a huge British membership in the Academy so Olivia Colman might be right in there as competition. I don't know how
much support Lady Gaga would have, though she'll still get that song Oscar.

I do so hope that Viggo and Ali win their categories!! Great acting by both......

I wouldn't mind at all!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #559 on: January 22, 2019, 05:56:01 PM »

This is the first year I can remember when a couple films were nominated that I'd never even heard of before the announcements.

One is At Eternity's Gate.  Willem Dafoe nominated for Best Actor playing Vincent Van Gogh.
Where the hell did they dredge that one up?

Another is Border that was nominated for Makeup and Hair Styling. I guess it's a Swedish film, but I'd not heard of it before.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #560 on: January 22, 2019, 05:57:38 PM »

Here's how I'd rank the 8 Best Picture nominees in order of my own preference...

Green Book

Bohemian Rhapsody

Vice

The Favourite

BlacKkKlansman

A Star is Born

Black Panther

Roma

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #561 on: January 22, 2019, 06:00:47 PM »

By the way, the Producers Guild Awards were announced last Sunday:

PGA Theatrical Film of the Year
Green Book

PGA Animated Film of the Year
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

PGA Documentary Film of the Year
Won't You Be My Neighbor?

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #562 on: January 22, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
I saw 'At Eternity's Gate'. I did not like the film because my eyes hurt with the jumping around of the camera and other adventurous techniques. Reviewers made the same comment, apparently it was to help us feel the mental state of Van Gogh but I did not appreciate it at all. However I did think Willem Dafoe's acting was very good. However I have only seen 4 or 5 of the movies on the lists.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #563 on: January 23, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »
Went to see The Upside tonight. One of those films where you can just sit back and enjoy! LOL...no deep thinking needed :o :o :o...I do like Bryan Cranston though, so I'd have seen it anyway.....don't know anything about Kevin Hart, other than he's NOT hosting the Oscars. Nicole Kidman was a surprise in this. Didn't even KNOW she was in the cast. Simple, easy-listening/watching film. No Oscar noms for the this one, I don't think? 

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #564 on: January 25, 2019, 12:06:36 PM »

I have a few friends who are SAG members, 3 males and one female, who just sent in their votes for the SAG awards this weekend.  Here's how they voted:

Lead Actor Movie
Viggo Mortensen, GREEN BOOK
Rami Malek, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY
John David Washington, BLACKKKLANSMAN
Rami Malek, BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

Lead Actress Movie
Olivia Colman, THE FAVOURITE
Olivia Colman, THE FAVOURITE
Glenn Close, THE WIFE
Glenn Close, THE WIFE

Supporting Actor Movie
Mahershala Ali, GREEN BOOK
Timothee Chalamet, BEAUTIFUL BOY

Supporting Actress Movie
Margot Robbie, MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS
Amy Adams, VICE
Margot Robbie, MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS
Rachel Weisz, THE FAVOURITE

Stunts Ensemble for Movie
Avengers: Infinity War
Mission: Impossible: Fallout

Cast Ensemble for Film
BlacKkKlansmen
Bohemian Rhapsody
Crazy Rich Asians
Crazy Rich Asians

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #565 on: January 25, 2019, 12:17:55 PM »

Voting for Awards used to be conducted by mail. Now it is entirely by computer for the most part.

When I was the buyer for a small chain of Video Stores, once in the 1980's at the place I worked out of,
an Academy member had their Oscar Ballot in hand. It was a customer I talked to frequently and I
asked if I could vote in one of the categories!  Heh!  I thought I'd be greeted with an immediate NO WAY,
but he replied, "Which category?" I said, "Best Actress".  He asked me, "Well, who would you vote for?"
I told him. He said, "Okay then!"

So he spread the ballot out on the counter and I marked the Best Actress category for:
Shirley MacLaine in TERMS OF ENDEARMENT.

Of course, afterward he told me that's who he wanted and if I'd said someone else he wouldn't
have let me do it. But I did actually mark the ballot for Shirley MacLaine, whom I have always
considered my favorite movie actress, and like to think I helped win an Oscar!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #566 on: January 25, 2019, 12:56:52 PM »
Voting for Awards used to be conducted by mail. Now it is entirely by computer for the most part.

When I was the buyer for a small chain of Video Stores, once in the 1980's at the place I worked out of,
an Academy member had their Oscar Ballot in hand. It was a customer I talked to frequently and I
asked if I could vote in one of the categories!  Heh!  I thought I'd be greeted with an immediate NO WAY,
but he replied, "Which category?" I said, "Best Actress".  He asked me, "Well, who would you vote for?"

So he spread the ballot out on the counter and I marked the Best Actress category for:

Of course, afterward he told me that's who he wanted and if I'd said someone else he wouldn't
have let me do it. But I did actually mark the ballot for Shirley MacLaine, whom I have always

Shirley owes you a debt of gratitude.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #567 on: January 25, 2019, 02:15:39 PM »

--The Ballad of Buster Scruggs

This is a Coen Brothers film distributed by NetFlix, so it was theatrically released
very limitedly and then available on their streaming services.  It also, a surprise
to many, received three Oscar nominations this year for Adapted Screenplay,
Costume Design and Song.

I thought this film was quite entertaining. It's a series of six different stories, which are,
in order:

"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs"
"Near Algodones"
"Meal Ticket"
"All Gold Canyon"
"The Gal Who Got Rattled"
"The Mortal Remains"

Like any film like this it's hard to say you like it, because you'll like a story or two more than the others, but
overall this is one of the best of these kinds of films in my opinion. I liked the title story, which is an odd musical.
The second one was intriguing. "Meal Ticket" was fascinating with an emotional ending. All Gold Canyon is so
beautifully filmed.  It seems like I might have enjoyed these films in rank as the order they actually appeared.
None of them seemed to outstay their welcome in my opinion.

If you like westerns I'd be sure to watch these interesting stories. One of them is based on a song and another
on a Jack London story.

It's certainly something different.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #568 on: January 25, 2019, 04:30:07 PM »

Bwwwaaahhhhaaa!! You never told me that!!  :o :o :o Shirley is best friends with Barbra, I'm guessing you KNEW that too!! You could have been the difference, remember the TIE!?? Yup, it happened.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #569 on: January 25, 2019, 04:31:29 PM »
I'm going to watch ROMA this weekend, it's on Netflix. I HOPE it has English subtitles cause my Spanish is not so good!!  ;D ;D ;D