The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 434625 times)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #690 on: April 14, 2019, 03:16:43 PM »
Saw "Apollo 11" at the IMAX.  If you are a space buff, then this film is a must see.   It's an amazing piece of work which was assembled and digitized with that todd-ao film they uncovered recently in the national archives.  There are sections of the film synced up with the recordings which were just amazing.

From Ebert's site, ""Apollo 11" isn't like other documentaries about the first moon mission. In fact it isn't like most other movies, period. It's magnificent and unique, an adrenaline shot of wonder and skill."

Apollo 11 --> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8760684/
Apollo 11 review --> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/apollo-11-2019

V.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #691 on: April 15, 2019, 07:32:32 AM »
I haven't seen Clue since it was in theaters and so I really don't remember which ending I saw.
But when it came out for rental they put all three endings on it.

I've never even played the game, but it seems to me it's become such a part of culture that even someone like me gets it when it's referred to in some kind of joking situation: "Miss Scarlett in the library with a candlestick," that sort of thing.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #692 on: April 15, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »
I was in a good mood Saturday evening, so after dinner I fell back on one of my go-to movies for when I'm in a good mood: Moonstruck. God, I love that movie! What's not to like about a movie whose theme song is Dean Martin singing That's Amore?  :D

Reminds me: The local opera company is doing La Boheme next week.  ;D

(I'll admit there is one thing about this movie that always does give me a moment of sadness and now, I think, really marks it as a "period piece": Since it's mainly set in Brooklyn, you can see the Twin Towers across the river in Manhattan.)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #693 on: April 15, 2019, 10:05:55 AM »
Since this past weekend was the Titanic anniversary I revisited both A Night to Remember and the 1997 Titanic films this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:08:04 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #694 on: April 27, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »

--Sunset Boulevard

Anyone who likes the movie Sunset Blvd. watch this video edited to one
of the musical's best songs.

Sunset Blvd. - With One Look (Patti Lupone) - Gloria Swanson montage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDD4_iKe_C4&feature=youtu.be

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #695 on: April 27, 2019, 04:35:03 PM »
--Sunset Boulevard

Anyone who likes the movie Sunset Blvd. watch this video edited to one
of the musical's best songs.

Sunset Blvd. - With One Look (Patti Lupone) - Gloria Swanson montage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDD4_iKe_C4&feature=youtu.be

"We didn't need words. We had faces!"

That was nice, Lyle. Thanks.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #696 on: April 27, 2019, 04:35:53 PM »

Glad you enjoyed it!

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #697 on: April 27, 2019, 05:04:07 PM »
I saw Temblores (Tremors) the 2019 feature from Guatemala directed by Jayro Bustamante. Upper class evangelical married Protestant father Pablo has to make a choice between his family and the man he has fallen in love with.

It left me in shock.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #698 on: May 02, 2019, 10:47:11 AM »

--A Simple Favor

Has anyone heard of this film? Last weekend my electricity was out for over a day and so
on Saturday when a friend invited me over to watch a movie (and have dinner!) I readily
accepted. We watched this film that was released last year.

It's a movie that some will like and some won't, but if you like it, I think you'll really like it.
The problem to convince people to watch it is that you really should not know very much about
it beforehand at all.

So, I found this synopsis that I'll offer because it tells you something, but not much at all!  Heh!

A SIMPLE FAVOR, is a stylish post-modern film noir directed by Paul Feig, that centers around Stephanie
(Anna Kendrick), a mommy blogger who seeks to uncover the truth behind her best friend Emily's (Blake
Lively) sudden disappearance from their small town. Stephanie is joined by Emily's husband Sean (Henry
Golding) in this thriller. Andrew Rannell's joins them in a supporting role.

Rotten Tomatoes Critics concensus: Twisty, twisted, and above all simply fun; a stylish mommy noir spell
strengthened by potent performances.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #699 on: May 02, 2019, 11:02:13 AM »
I saw Temblores (Tremors) the 2019 feature from Guatemala directed by Jayro Bustamante. Upper class evangelical married Protestant father Pablo has to make a choice between his family and the man he has fallen in love with.

It left me in shock.

Positive or negative "in shock"?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #700 on: May 02, 2019, 11:11:23 AM »

--Wait for the Laugh

This is a very recent documentary about the life of Rose Marie, who most people know from her
character Sally Rogers on The Dick Van Dyke Show.

The film is fantastically entertaining, featuring many of the most influential people involved in her life,
like Carl Reiner, Peter Marshall, Tim Conway and Dick Van Dyke.

She was a radio star by the time she was 4 years old. People didn't know she was 4 years old because
her voice was like that of an adult! Known as Baby Rose Marie, her father got involved with gangsters
like Al Capone, who wanted to meet her. She worked in vaudeville where she met Evelyn Nesbitt!

In the nightclub days it seems many entertainers were involved with gangsters. Over time when the
entertainers talked of them they were very complimentary. Because they were treated so well and
weren't aware, or didn't want to be aware, of the deeds they were doing behind the scenes. When Rose
Marie was older and living on the west coast, she was involved with gangster Bugsy Siegel who hired her
to perform in one of the first Las Vegas hotels in the late 40's, the Flamingo.

She, of course, gravitated to television and performed on stage into the 90's.

The film is highly entertaining.  Rose Marie tells her story throughout herself and the film stays on course
with narration from her friend Peter Marshall. There was never a time it seemed that Rose Marie didn't have
a color home movie camera with her and there are many fascinating films of her life in the 1940's, including
footage of what the Las Vegas strip looked like during that era.

When she started working in television she took a home movie camera to practically every job she had and
there are color films of the behind the scenes of the programs she worked on which included Gunsmoke, The
Dick Van Dyke Show, The Monkees, The Doris Day Show and The Hollywood Squares.

I watched a NetFlix rental of it and on the DVD were extras, such as the entire 40 minute Q&A they had when
the film was showcased at the Cinematheque's Aero Theatre in West Los Angeles. Besides the director and his
wife, the assembled participants were Rose Marie, Peter Marshall, Dick Van Dyke, Tim Conway and Carl Reiner.

There are some additional home movie segments, an appearance with Groucho Marx on The Hollywood Palace,
though the DVD incorrectly says it's from The Groucho Marx Show. There is a making of documentary on it which
is also fascinating and some deleted segments from the film, one of which is a phone call Rose Marie makes to
Doris Day and they chat a few minutes. Not about anything really important, but it is still quite fascinating. The
director also does a commentary track on the whole thing.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #701 on: May 02, 2019, 11:14:05 AM »

A personal recollection...in the early 1990's I attended a production of Roger & Hammerstein's Cinderella musical at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood. The King & Queen were played by Steve Allen and his wife Jane Meadows...or was his wife Audrey Meadows...I'm never sure?  The fairy godmother was played by Rose Marie!

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #702 on: May 02, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »
Sundance channel is having Slugger Sunday this week...I love Field of Dreams and League of Their Own

Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #703 on: May 02, 2019, 04:43:39 PM »
Positive or negative "in shock"?

It is a tragedy, Elena, though nobody dies. It shows, without editorialising, the way religious homophobia ruins lives.  The story is fictional, but it is based on what the director learnt from talking with many homosexual men, most of whom were closeted heterosexually married and lying to their families and from his own aborted participation in a church-run "reparative therapy" program.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #704 on: May 04, 2019, 12:28:06 PM »
I've been home sick since the middle of the week, so in the middle of yesterday afternoon, I turned on TCM just to see what was showing. I was just in time to catch a movie I'd never heard of, The Southerner, about a poor sharecropper who tries to get his own farm to make a better life for his family. Turns out the movie was directed by Jean Renoir, and the Wikipedia article about him says the movie "is often regarded as his best American film." The other thing that interested me about this movie is that the leading character was played by Zachary Scott. I knew him only as the sleazy Monte Beragon in Mildred Pierce, but he was actually quite good in his role in this film.

(It must have been Beulah Bondi Afternoon at TCM.  :D  In The Southerner, she played a cranky, cantankerous, thoroughly unlikable old woman [she reminded me of Granny Clampett without being funny]--she was quite good at it. The Southerner was followed up by two other films with her in them, but I don't remember the titles. Nowadays I guess she is best known as Jimmy Stewart's mother in It's a Wonderful Life.)