The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 42735 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1050 on: September 13, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »

You know that feeling one has had when you might unexpectedly see or meet a friend or loved one from years prior that you thought you might never see again and you spend a lovely afternoon, evening or day with them and just revel in the loveliness of it all?  Learning some new things and revisiting past memories and enjoying the whole thing? That's what I felt when a friend and I went to the movies last night and saw...

--Downton Abbey

I won't ruin any of it for those interested in seeing it. I'll just say that if one liked watching the series, I don't see why you wouldn't like this movie experience. I have no ideas what movie critics reviews will be like, but upfront I'd like to know if they liked the series before I read their review.

This is something I read awhile ago from someone who saw it and liked it, and since it is the perfect thing to say, IMO, I'll post it: "I'll stay spoiler free here, but all the favorite cast members get a new arc or a continuation of where we left them. From Lady Mary to Branson to Thomas, to Mosely, the gang's all here. The new cast additions liven it up, from the Royal staff to Princess Mary to a nice performance from Imelda Staunton, who's playing Grantham cousin Lady Bagshaw, another foil for Maggie Grace."

If you've seen the preview, the main plot involves the King & Queen making a visit to Downton, while all the characters storylines are interwoven into this maelstrom! I guess Focus Features decided to have what they called a "fan day" screening a week before it officially opens in the U.S. A one-time 7pm showing last night. Did this happen all over the country?

What I'd like to know from anyone else who sees the film is this: Before the actual movie started, but it wasn't shown like it was part of the movie, there was an approximately ten-minute, give or take, short that was a recap of the series, the characters, and important developments, that started out with the line something like: "Haven't you seen Downton Abbey?" It wasn't necessary for fans of the show, but it was quite entertaining. The narration was done by the characters, or the actors playing them, of Carson and Mrs. Hughes. I'm wondering if this will be shown ahead of most showings? It was before the listed time of the move start and some attendees were coming in while this was on. Maybe it's optional for theatres to show?

Bottom line, as I said: "If you liked the series, I don't see why you wouldn't love seeing this film." Especially if you made it a night out with dinner or drinks before or afterwards!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1051 on: September 13, 2019, 01:34:50 PM »
If it's the Stephen Boyd character, Lyle, it might be similar, according to Gore Vidal, Ben Hurís screenwriter, to how Boyd played his character, and without Hestonís knowledge?

Yes, that might very well be true! And, interestingly, both films came out in 1959. I read that Boyd had actually finished filming Ben-Hur before he worked on The Best of Everything, but that one was released first.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1052 on: September 13, 2019, 05:34:34 PM »
Re: Dowtown Abbey...  I've not seen it yet as it opens here next weekend.  It was on my must see list before I read several scathing reviews.   I'll let you know if I go..

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1053 on: September 13, 2019, 08:10:52 PM »
Re: Dowtown Abbey...  I've not seen it yet as it opens here next weekend.  It was on my must see list before I read several scathing reviews.   I'll let you know if I go..

I've seen some episodes of the television show and I liked it.  I have no idea what the theatrical film adaptation would be like. Siobhan Finneran who had starred in the TV show, I saw her awhile back in the British theatrical film "Apostasy" (2017) about a young woman in England who is forcibly disfellowshipped from the Jehovah's Witness denomination and the impact her excommunication has on her and how it effects her devout mother and younger sister. I am an ex-JW, so the movie resonated with me, but overall this film is truly well-made. It depicts Jehovah's Witness culture and language so accurately for the most part.  It was directed by an ex-JW man who understood how to portray the strict religious environment that the JWs live in.  If you haven't seen "Apostasy", I would highly recommend it, it is just so good, but it is hard to watch.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:20:50 PM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1054 on: September 13, 2019, 08:19:12 PM »
I watched " The Best Years of Our Lives" recently.  It is a good movie, Dana Andrews was kind of cute.  I watched Robert Eggers'  "The Witch: A New England Folktale" (2015).  I have seen "The Witch" numerous times before. Eggers really understood the culture of the Puritans and how they viewed witches in those days.  It is an exceptional horror-themed film and is just a truly very good movie, I wish it were longer. Robert Eggers is going to direct a remake of "Nosferatu". Anya Taylor-Joy who starred in "The Witch" will also star in Eggers' remake of "Nosferatu", which will make this her second collaboration with Robert Eggers.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:18:13 AM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1055 on: September 13, 2019, 08:24:06 PM »
A Raisin in the Sun is on tonight.  I love this movie and haven't thought about it in a long time.  The performances by the actors are really wonderful.

TCMHD - 64 Tue, 9/10, 7:00 PM 2 hrs 15 min
1961, Drama, Social Topic
An extended African-American family living in a small apartment on the South Side of Chicago struggles to make ends meet, but when they unexpectedly receive a large sum of money each of them has a different idea of how to use the funds.
Credits: Sidney Poitier (Actor), Claudia McNeil (Actor), Ruby Dee (Actor), Diana Sands (Actor), Ivan Dixon (Actor), John Fiedler (Actor)

I haven't seen that movie in awhile.  I loved Sidney Poitier in "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?" and in " A Patch of Blue".

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #1056 on: September 13, 2019, 08:26:20 PM »
Saturday must have been English History Day on HBO. In the early evening they ran The Favorite, and then they followed up at 8 p.m. with Mary, Queen of Scots.

I saw only the last hour of The Favorite, and what I did see I didn't much care for.  At least, I don't feel a need to see the whole film. I'll give it this much though: The score was fantastic. If it wasn't all genuine Baroque, somebody did a damn good job composing in the Baroque style, because the music was wonderful.

I was pleasantly surprised by Mary, Queen of Scots. I expected not to like it, but in fact I really did! Saoirse Ronan was very good as Mary, and Margot Robbie made a good Elizabeth. A minor point, perhaps, but I was impressed that they made up Robbie to look like she had smallpox scars on her face. Elizabeth really did; that's one reason she started wearing that awful heavy white make-up, to hide the scars. Jack Lowdon, who played Henry, Lord Darnley, Mary's second husband, was pretty easy on the eyes, too.

One thing about any movie about Mary and Elizabeth that always gets me is they all have to have a scene where Mary and Elizabeth meet. They never did. It bothers me because I think a lot of people will take that for history when it didn't actually happen.

The other thing that bothers me about this film in particular was the scene where Elizabeth was depicted as signing Mary's death warrant in the presence of her entire privy council. It was probably dramatically necessary, but that didn't happen that way either. It was actually a put-up job, or I'm very suspicious that it was, anyway.

Here's your history lesson for the day: Mary was tried, convicted, and sentenced. Elizabeth had to sign the death warrant, and she dithered about it. She had already been the object of a number of assassination plots, and she was almost superstitiously afraid of causing the execution of another anointed queen. The privy council wanted the execution carried out, so they sent the council secretary to Elizabeth to with a number of papers to sign, and the death warrant was slipped in among them. Elizabeth signed the warrant, and the council sent it off to be carried out before Elizabeth could stop it. When she found out, she went into one of her towering rages, and the secretary spent some time in the Tower, but I can't escape the suspicion that it was all a put-up job, that Elizabeth was in on it from the start. It gave her plausible deniability, and the secretary took the fall.

As I've said before, I'd like see a theatrical film on the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth I and her older half-sister Queen Mary Tudor.  I think that would make for an interesting movie.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #1057 on: September 13, 2019, 10:05:28 PM »
Downton Abbey opened here on Thursday. Our Movie Club is going tomorrow at 1pm (Sunday). There are 6 screenings tomorrow 11, 1, 2, 3.30, 6 and 8.15pm.  3 of them are in the biggest theatre (300). I watched the full series although I got annoyed and stopped at one stage then had to go and buy the DVDs of seasons 4 and 5.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1058 on: September 14, 2019, 12:37:41 PM »
...I read several scathing reviews.

Who wrote those reviews? Like anything, you can't trust movie reviewers blindly. I don't trust reviewers who don't like musicals reviewing them. This is based on a 5 season TV series and is actually not a movie version, as some have called it, but an actual continuation of the series in movie form. So I wouldn't trust reviewers, who feel they have to review EVERY movie that comes out, having even watched the series. Like I said in my post, "upfront I'd like to know if they liked the series before I read their review."

By the way, if I'm interested in a film, I actually don't read any reviews of them before I see them. And I can tell you the exact moment I stopped doing that. There was a film, Casper, based on Casper the friendly ghost, many many years ago. There's a sequence in the beginning that included some cameo appearances by some notable people and the reviewer said who they were. (Why?) Not only that, the reviewer, having some knowledge of this movie beforehand somehow, described the filming of it, who had all participated and mentioned several other cameos that had been edited out. WTF do reviewers think their job is?

Sorry, I was going to rant on at length. Since I had such a pleasant time and actually enjoyed myself one time this week, it seemed a shock that one of the first things I read after my post about it was:

It was on my must see list before I read several scathing reviews.   I'll let you know if I go..

I thought people on this forum LIKED Downton Abbey.

I watched the full series although I got annoyed and stopped at one stage...

? ? ?  :-X

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #1059 on: September 14, 2019, 01:17:37 PM »
? ? ?  :-X
It was the end of Series 3 when Matthew dies in a car crash while driving home from the hospital. I knew it was only because the actor, Dan Stevens on whom I had a crush, wanted out that they had to write in his death. That made it like a soap and I hate and never watch soaps. However I ended up buying Series 4 (checked I actually have 2 copies, probably saw it on special and did not realise I already had it) and Series 5. I have quite a few recorded on my DVD player probably series 6 which I must sort and delete one day. I had to go to Wikipedia for these details as I am amazed at your discussion of movies from the past. I forget most details of movies I saw a few months ago. I do not have anything but free to air TV and almost never watch movies on TV at home. 95% of movies I have seen have been in the theatre.
Just as well I read through wikipedia, it is over 3 years since Downton Abbey Series 6 and I had forgotten most of what happened.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1060 on: September 14, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »
As I've said before, I'd like see a theatrical film on the rivalry between Queen Elizabeth I and her older half-sister Queen Mary Tudor.  I think that would make for an interesting movie.

There is a great book on which to base such a film, Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne, by David Starkey.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1061 on: September 14, 2019, 05:14:47 PM »
I watched Robert Eggers'  "The Witch: A New England Folktale" (2015).  I have seen "The Witch" numerous times before. Eggers really understood the culture of the Puritans and how they viewed witches in those days.  It is an exceptional horror-themed film and is just a truly very good movie, I wish it were longer.

I've never seen that. I'd like to, some day.

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #1062 on: September 14, 2019, 11:08:58 PM »
Downton Abbey opened here on Thursday. Our Movie Club is going tomorrow at 1pm (Sunday).
I went, it was marvellous but I do not think anyone who had not been wrapped in the TV series would appreciate it.
Nola, who always accompanies me, she is 80 and a bit strange and tells me she sits with me in the theatre and at coffee later because I am safe and the others won't talk, turned to me at the end and said oh you are sniffling  then admitted she was also.
To someone who has not watched the series, it might be a bit contrived and maudlin. The gay theme was good. Nola asked me if that was what it was like back then and I said "hey I am not that old' but, of course even in the 60's it was not that much better. We did not have police raids because the clubs paid the police to stay away.
There was no lead up explaining the background and, I felt I should have rewatched series 6 beforehand as it has been 3 or 4 years.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1063 on: September 15, 2019, 12:49:07 PM »
^^^

That sounds good to me!

There was no lead up explaining the background and, I felt I should have rewatched series 6 beforehand as it has been 3 or 4 years.

This prompted me to search it out on the internet. Whether or not theatres, or some theatres, are showing this or not, I found it on Focus Features youtube channel. (If you google "Downton Abbey recap before movie" you can find it linked or posted on many other articles, too, if the one below doesn't work for you.) Focus Features posted it on September 12th.

If you're planning on seeing the film I'd watch this as a pre-viewing treat before you go, with the caveat that you may see it again in your particular theatre. Others might not, who knows?

DOWNTON ABBEY - RECAP - In Theaters September 20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6veDL2tlvMY

Offline Gillian

• Through the mirror blue
  • Obsessed
  • Save Ben Solo
« Reply #1064 on: September 15, 2019, 12:56:03 PM »
I went to see Downton Abbey today - a gift to my mother who loves the TV show (well, I liked it too, won't lie about that) - and I was of two minds about the film.

On the one hand, there were gorgeous costumes and sets, balls and castles and parades and what have you, and the tone and the many characters are just so charming and so easy to chuckle along fondly with.

But on the other hand, the film was determinedly piling on the nostalgia for the good old days when everyone in England knew their place and enjoyed that place, be they the loveliest underpaid, overworked scullery maid. The lords and ladies are all so nice and decent behind their jewels and stiff upper lips, and all the servants keep assuring them - even pleading with them - to please soldier on being rich and privileged, because the whole community revolves around them. AND the film kept assuring the audience that yes, things would continue in the same traditional vein for the next 100 years.

Knowing that the series creator is an avid Brexiteer, this whole insistent defence of the rigid English class system and the posh upper class' qualities,  just rubbed me entirely the wrong way and detracted from my enjoyment of the shenanigans and downstairs battles over who gets the honour of serving the canapees.

But OMG, the dress that Lady Mary wears to the big ball that closes the film! It's so gorgeous! I envy Michelle Dockery, getting to wear that lovely thing.

Oh, and Mark Addy (robert Baratheon in GoT) had the cutest cameo as the most excitable, delightfully royal-adoring local grocer ever.

PS: They did not show any TV series recap before the film.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:27:10 PM by Gillian »