The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 434308 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1335 on: January 13, 2020, 01:34:20 AM »
Read them when I was 11 or so, and I watched the last film version when it came. But it's all a long time ago, so...we'll see how much I remember.
Oh, you should be fine! I don’t mind flashbacks, but I still think it was a pity that this was SO overdone. But all the same I became totally immersed in the film.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1336 on: January 13, 2020, 07:35:42 AM »
I always just assumed it was a family diminutive. I’ve. Just googled it and it seems that was the case (perhaps in Louisa’s own family) and that it was probably pronounced without the ‘r’, so much like Mommy.

The Marches are Yankees (as in New Englanders), and some Yankees do elide their "r's." The usual old joke is "Pahk the cah in Hahvad Yahd ("Park the Car in Harvard Yard")." They might even be the "Mahch" sisters. Alcott was born near Philadelphia, but her family moved to Massachusetts when she was 2, so I would be pretty sure she did hear that Yankee accent. Maybe she had it herself.

I once had a teacher who made fun of what she called "the hard Pennsylvania 'r.'" Around here we would pronounce it "Marmie"

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #1337 on: January 13, 2020, 10:35:42 AM »
The Marches are Yankees (as in New Englanders), and some Yankees do elide their "r's." The usual old joke is "Pahk the cah in Hahvad Yahd ("Park the Car in Harvard Yard")." They might even be the "Mahch" sisters. Alcott was born near Philadelphia, but her family moved to Massachusetts when she was 2, so I would be pretty sure she did hear that Yankee accent. Maybe she had it herself.

I once had a teacher who made fun of what she called "the hard Pennsylvania 'r.'" Around here we would pronounce it "Marmie"

Sounds perfect! Could be me saying it. LOL ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1338 on: January 13, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
Here are all the films, except short subjects, nominated for Oscars today:

Nominations by film:

“Joker” — 11
“The Irishman”– 10
“1917” — 10
“Once Upon a Time…in Hollywood” — 10
“Jojo Rabbit” — 6
“Little Women” — 6
“Marriage Story” — 6
“Parasite” — 6
“Ford v Ferrari” — 4
“Bombshell” — 3
“Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” — 3
“The Two Popes” — 3
“Harriet” — 2
“Honeyland” — 2
“Judy” — 2
“Pain and Glory” — 2
“Toy Story 4” — 2

One each: (except short subjects)

Ad Astra
American Factory
Avengers: Endgame
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Breakthrough
The Cave
Corpus Christi
The Edge of Democracy
For Sama
Frozen II
How to Train Your Dragon:The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
Knives Out
Les Miserables
The Lighthouse
The Lion King
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil
Missing Link
Richard Jewell
Rocketman

How many have you seen?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1339 on: January 13, 2020, 11:40:31 AM »
Me...of the 17 films with multiple nominations, I've seen 15.
I have not seen the new Star Wars and probably won't. I've just lost interest in those things. I also have not seen Honeyland, which is in the Foreign film and documentary film categories.

Of the films with single nominations, I've seen 5 of the 21.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1340 on: January 13, 2020, 11:48:41 AM »

--Dolemite is My Name

This is the true story of Rudy Ray Moore, a man with a dream of making it in the movies and he succeeds against all probability. Rudy is played by Eddie Murphy. It's very entertaining and if one is familiar with his early 1970's blaxploitation films, even more so.

The film is somewhat like the recent The Disaster Artist film, where a man with a dream tries to make it come true.

Offline Elisiv05

• Obsessed
  • "Per sidera iuro."
« Reply #1341 on: January 13, 2020, 12:01:38 PM »

Very interesting language lesson. Do I understand it right that "Marmie"would be an example of hyper correction; that
the March sisters put an extra 'r' in the word because they weren't sure if there should be one or not?
You know somebody name a Jack?

What If your Strangeness Is Actually Your Brilliance?

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #1342 on: January 13, 2020, 12:29:24 PM »
Of the multiples. I have only seen 'Little Women' which as related here, I found disappointing. '1917' has just come out here last Thursday (saw the shorts with Little Women) and I have always been fascinated by WW1 but it just doesn't grab me. JoJo Rabbit is big here because of NZ connections but it seems too silly for me.  I thought the first Star War movies were marvellous but have not enjoyed the few later ones I have seen.
Of the single ones I have only seen Lion King and Rocketman, enjoyed both. Les Miserables? not sure what is meant. The movie was
2012. Saw the TV miniseries but found it depressing . I have seen the musical about half a dozen times, last time when in London in 2018. They are putting it on in Dunedin this year but I will be in Greece at the time.  They put on Cats last year when I was in Sydney. They really should consult with me before programming LOL.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1343 on: January 13, 2020, 12:49:49 PM »
^^^

Les Miserables is France's entry in the Foreign film category. From what I understand, it's a contemporary retelling.

I loved 1917 and recommend it in a movie theatre. It's what I'll be rooting for to win Best Film. It topped the Box Office in the U.S. this past weekend.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1344 on: January 13, 2020, 03:57:13 PM »
Very interesting language lesson. Do I understand it right that "Marmie"would be an example of hyper correction; that
the March sisters put an extra 'r' in the word because they weren't sure if there should be one or not?

Sara suggested that the "r" might not have been pronounced (which raises the question, If it isn't, why did Alcott put it in, in the first place). I suggested how a word with an "r" in it, including "Marmie," might have been pronounced--without the "r."

I wonder whether that term of endearment was in use in New England in Alcott's time, or if she just made it up for her story?

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1345 on: January 15, 2020, 02:16:34 PM »
I've seen 6 of the multiple nominee films, going to see The Two Popes soon. Missed the Bombshell though, already gone from the theaters here. Some of the others I wouldn't care for anyway!  ;D

Not into war films at all, never have been, although I've heard that 1917 is unusual because the filming is continuous throughout? No breaks in the scenes, so that's something different, I guess. Partially, I'm just SICK of War in general. We've been in the MidEast for HOW many years now?? Just tired of it.......know toooo many people who's lives were affected by this nearly 20 year War over there, and it shows NO SIGN of ending.........sad, huh? The USA cannot FIX the problems in the MidEast, and neither can anyone else! IMHO, you understand?  ;)
Sorry, this is the film thread, right?!  :P :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1346 on: January 15, 2020, 08:08:41 PM »
^^^

Les Miserables is France's entry in the Foreign film category. From what I understand, it's a contemporary retelling.

It is. It's reviewed in the January 13 issue of The New Yorker.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1347 on: January 19, 2020, 11:13:59 AM »

--Yesterday

This film came out last June and though I like a good gimmick of a premise for movies, I was hesitant to see this one because I'm not a fan of the director, Danny Boyle. This film is about a young, struggling musician who suddenly finds out he's the only person who remembers the Beatles and their songs.

For awhile I was pleasantly surprised at how things were going, but the second hour took all the wrong turns in my opinion. Most movies with a gimmicky premise rarely stray past ninety minutes and there's a good reason for that. The audience wants to know how it plays out and the longer you are kept from knowing, there better be a good reason for it. Gimmicks, like fads, can get tiresome pretty quickly.

Himesh Patel, who I'm assuming is related to Dev Patel, is the lead, and I grew weary of him pretty quickly. His performance does nothing to suggest Jack deserves to be a global superstar, best songs of all time or not. As the only one who knows the songs he tries resurrecting them back into the world. As the movie goes on, though, this world without the Beatles doesn't look any different, so there's little potency to the film's fantasy of the Beatles coming back.

The film strays from the gimmick by getting us invested in a love story between Jack and a girl played by Lily James, who can play sweet without being annoying and is quite wonderful, but the story lets her down. This only serves to distract from the premise and the movie then feels like they are padding it with this aspect because they don't know what to do with the premise they created. The premise of this film is actually highly under-explored and really never resolved to any great satisfaction.

It's a curio, like a windup toy that I didn't mind playing with for awhile, but which doesn't amount to much in the long run.

There were 25 minutes or so of deleted scenes that I even watched, one of which was filmed at the Alta Cienega Motel down the street from me at La Cienega.

Also, what do you guys think of when you find out a film has an alternate ending? One always hears that a writer needs to know their ending before they begin writing. If you don't, it would be like going on a vacation, but not know where you're going. Well, there is an alternate ending included. It's really more altered or refined a bit than alternate.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1348 on: January 19, 2020, 12:21:25 PM »

Did anyone ever see The Beatles? Or any one of them?

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1349 on: January 19, 2020, 12:51:18 PM »
I saw Yesterday too, and thought it was an odd film. I never saw the Beatles in Concert. I was still just a child then!! haha....I honestly don't think they toured the USA that much, and I know they complained constantly about the crowd noise and not being able to HEAR their own instruments and fellow musicians! So they were frustrated with live performances in general. Beatlemania was alive and well where I lived in the 60's.......... ;D