The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428097 times)

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1425 on: February 09, 2020, 09:36:19 PM »
I have "The Lighthouse" and "Cloud Atlas" on my list... I've seen cuts from CA... a buddy of mine saw "The Lighthouse" and said it was definitely an acquired viewing.   :)

In 2012, Cloud Atlas usurped BBM as my favorite film of all time 8)

Hey, how about Parasite's win?!!! So pleased. Great film. A must see!
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1426 on: February 10, 2020, 04:28:00 AM »
^^^ It's been on my "must see" list for a long time. 

Yeap, the 2020 Oscar's are the most "accurately judged" that I can remember in a long time.  In other words, for the most part, what deserved to win, did whether on technical merit or story.   Parasite was a big surprise to many but when you really compare it against the others - it does stand above them.  However, it's not a film everyone can or will understand or appreciate - just like "1917", yet another "Little Women"  "Harriet", ...  or "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood"  is not everyone's cup-of-tea either.   :)  V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1427 on: February 10, 2020, 10:49:04 AM »

A. BEST PICTURE
 1. Ford v Ferrari
 2. The Irishman
 3. Jojo Rabbit   
 4. Joker   
 5. Little Women
 6. Marriage Story
 7. 1917
 8. Once Upon a Time in…Hollywood
 9. Parasite

F. BEST DIRECTOR
 1. Martin Scorsese, THE IRISHMAN
 2. Todd Phillips, JOKER
 3. Sam Mendes, 1917
 4. Quentin Tarantino, ONCE UPON A TIME IN…HOLLYWOOD
 5. Bong Joon Ho, PARASITE

M. LIVE ACTION SHORT
 1. Brotherhood
 2. Nefta Football Club
 3. The Neighbors Window
 4. Saria
 5. A Sister

I only missed these three, but two were big ones!

I didn't think Parasite would win director because the Winner of the Director's Guild award goes on to win the Oscar 99.9% of the time! I didn't think it would win Best Picture because no foreign language film ever has, even the much hyped Roma last year, which did win director, too. Good reasoning, but not for last night!

#1 Parasite

OMG, this film was totally amazing. This was one of the two films that I was really looking forward to seeing for the 2020 Oscar nominees. It did not disappoint. *facepalm* It is no wonder that the film won the Palme d’Or at Cannes.

You mentioned another reason I didn't think Parasite would win Best Picture. Only one film that won that prize at Cannes won the Oscar for Best Picture before last night. And that was Marty. Parasite went against all the norms last night!

By the way, I loved your post with all the reviews of the nominees!

As for Parasite, something I wrote in my comments on the film here after I saw it was: "I'm not comfortable saying I liked it or disliked it. Maybe that will come with further reflection...maybe not."

I still feel that way. After the film I didn't feel satisfied when it was over. Something didn't gel with me, and that view hasn't changed. I have no affection for the film. I think it comes down to all the characters and the fact that whatever feeling you grow to have for them is upended as they all are parasites. That may be the point, but it wasn't a satisfying one for me.

Offline gwyllion

• Backpacker
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Polite menace
    • AO3
« Reply #1428 on: February 10, 2020, 11:10:20 AM »
By the way, I loved your post with all the reviews of the nominees!

<3  :-*
"You're a fucking lunatic and I like it." -Edward Teach

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1429 on: February 10, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
Most of the ones I thought would win an Oscar did, except for the Parasite wins, I never saw that film. Must be a real blockbuster though!  :o :o :o

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1430 on: February 15, 2020, 03:51:58 PM »
Watched one of my all time favorite "Golden Oldies" today...."Separate Tables".
Two simple story lines woven together but played to perfection. How could
it not be with a cast like this: Rita Hayworth
                                           Deborah Kerr
                                           David Niven
                                           Burt Lancaster
                                           Wendy Hiller
                                           Gladys Cooper
                                           Rod Taylor
                                           Felix Haymer
                                           Cathleen Nesbitt
                                           Audrey Dalton.....
                                           and others.

How could it fail to be great ?
I'm assuming  being that it is a 1958 movie....it has been seen by most/all
people here. No review.

Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1431 on: February 15, 2020, 04:16:30 PM »
Tried to watch the movie "Kiingsman: The Secret Service" 2014 tonight.
I gave up !!!!
Why Colin Firth and Samuel L Jackson felt they needed to be in this crap....
I will never know !
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline oilgun

• Obsessed
« Reply #1432 on: February 16, 2020, 05:47:06 PM »
[...]
In some ways, Golden Kingdom is similar to Apitchatpong's films such as Tropical Malady and Uncle Boonmee ... in its pacing and its depiction of rural life and landscapes and supernatural elements.

Interesting, I've never heard of this film. I really enjoy Apitchatpong's films, I actually have four of them on DVD.
"Yer fond of me lobster aint' ye? I seen it - yer fond of me lobster! Say it! Say it. Say it!" - The Lighthouse.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1433 on: February 18, 2020, 03:46:53 PM »
--Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

They should just call this film Harley Quinn because that's what everyone is calling it! Heh! Who can remember the other parts!

Margot Robbie is all out in this role. The film has a lot of violence which isn't a deal breaker, however...there's an incident or two in the beginning that are rather disturbing. Then you think, if they show that, what else might they show you and it makes you uncomfortable from then on instead of fully enjoying it. But they don't show you anything worse, but I didn't know that.

I didn't think Ewan McGregor was anything special in his villain role, but this film is all about Harley and she's a hoot!

This part of an article was in 2/11's TDS:

The animated opening to Birds of Prey just casually confirmed that the Harley Quinn of the DC Extended Universe is actually bisexual.

The film opens with an extended animated origin story for Harley Quinn. It reveals her relationship with her father (who had a habit of abandoning her), her experiences at Catholic school (where she fought against the nuns on a regular basis) and how she became a psychiatrist. It also teases that she had some major romantic relationships before she ended up falling under the sway of the Joker. Three people are shown in this sequence, each of them not ending up a match with Harley.

The first two are nerdy but nice enough looking men, who make perfect sense for potential paramours for the more reserved Harleen Quinzel from before she met Joker and went off the deep end. The third, however, is shown to be a mysterious and beautiful woman. She also isn't a match for Harley however, setting Harley up to be alone and vulnerable when she meets the Joker. It's a quiet moment, but also one that's very important and has inspiration from the core DC Universe.

Okay, unless I wasn't paying attention, I don't remember any of this. There was no animated opening that I recall. There was at the end.  I'm confused. Maybe the put this opening sequence at the end and I wasn't watching it as a more intricate story the way it's described.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1434 on: February 18, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »

--Gangster Land

Sounds like an attraction at a theme park. This is strictly a B-movie, if that. I think I like gangster movies about the 20's and 30's for the period aspects of them, so I gravitate toward them. Nothing one really hasn't seen before.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1435 on: February 18, 2020, 04:08:22 PM »

--The Furies

This film is highly underrated as I'd not really heard of it before and it's really good. I can only surmise that's the case because it's a western and female centric and doesn't star John Wayne. The star here is Barbara Stanwyck and she's got Daddy issues. She and her father, played by Walter Huston, battle through the film through all the rights and wrongs of what they believe and Stanwyck is fantastic. There's also a small, but grand supporting role played by Judith Anderson.

The basic premise is that the two, father and daughter, get along okay until the father takes a new wife which causes much conflict. The film also entails Latino squatters on land they feel is theirs and a business man who tries to swindle land from the father. I think it belongs in the top tier of Hollywood westerns.

It came out in 1950. In one scene that takes place in a city, there is a staircase that I immediately recognized as the one Norma Desmond descends in Sunset Blvd. that was released the same year. Both films are Paramount films.

If you ever come across it on TCM or wherever, it's sure worth a look.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1436 on: February 23, 2020, 12:27:47 PM »

--Call of the Wild (2020)

I was invited to a SAG screening of this last night so I went. It stars Harrison Ford and Dan Stevens among others.

I did not know that this film used CGI effects for most all the animals in it, including the main character, a dog named Buck. This made the film way too cutesy and pretty much ruined it. There's not much cutesy in Jack London's novel. I saw the film with three friends and two of us had read the book at one time. About 15 minutes into the film I turned to one of my friends and whispered, "I don't think I read 'this' book."

Ford was all right in it; Dan Stevens proved once again he should've stayed on Downton Abbey. A lot of the scenery was quite beautiful, except that when you start doing CGI effects in nature movies, your mind starts to think some things that you're seeing aren't real and you tend to find some things phony looking, and some may not be. That's the danger of using CGI so much. When one used to go to movies and you saw a wonderful sunset or a beautiful moon in a cloudy sky or something, you'd believe it was real. Now you wonder if they just used CGI effects. Though the film was shot in California and British Columbia, they farmed all the CGI effects out to India--there were lists of dozens and dozens of Indian names in the credits.

For anyone that knows the original novel and possibly seen one of the other film versions of this, like the one with Clark Gable or Charlton Heston, etc., you just can't take this one seriously.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1437 on: February 23, 2020, 02:11:50 PM »
Lyle, thanks for the heads-up!! I've watched the previews and wondered if that Dog was the 'real deal' or not, I'd decided not, so probably will not see the film. Although the scenery does look stunning!  :o

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1438 on: February 23, 2020, 03:07:22 PM »
^^^^ Ditto.. on the CGI... I thought it looked "odd" during the previews.  Ford must be bored...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1439 on: February 24, 2020, 03:19:35 PM »
^^^

He's usually stoned.