The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 92276 times)

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #1785 on: June 25, 2020, 03:34:24 PM »

The 50 Most Heartbreaking Movie Deaths We're Still Not Over

22. Jack Twist, Brokeback Mountain
Though prejudice and the expectations of their gender keep them from being truly together, cowboys Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Ennis Del Mar (Heath Ledger) never get over each other after falling into a passionate relationship during a sheep herding job. Jack is the one who pushes for more, believing that they could carve out a life for themselves, but Ennis is haunted by a story his father told him about two gay men who were beaten to death in the town where he grew up. He learns through a postcard that Jack has died—the movie leaves the nature of it ambiguous, but Ennis assumes the worst—and gives into his grief when he finds two of their shirts hanging together in Jack's closet.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gallery/the-50-most-heartbreaking-movie-deaths-were-still-not-over/ss-BB10aH2i?ocid=ientp#image=23

So true!

WISE UP

Ing KräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #1786 on: June 26, 2020, 08:12:12 AM »
^^^^ That's actually a pretty good listing... though some of those I have not seen. 

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1787 on: June 27, 2020, 03:42:22 PM »

--Bang the Drum Slowly

I thought this was originally a TV movie, it isn't. I thought it was based on actual people, it isn't.  This 1973 film is about a baseball player, Henry, who has a friend, Pearson, someone with limited intellect, also a ballplayer, who has been dealt a bad hand, he's got Hodgkin's disease. Michael Moriarty is wonderful as Henry who does what he needs to do for his friend, which includes trying to keep him on the team, all the while trying to keep his situation quiet from everyone else. Henry even gets the team manager (Vincent Gardenia) to tie their contracts together, so that what happens to one (like being traded) happens to the other. After a temper tantrum, the manager reluctantly agrees, but tells Henry that in turn he's going to do everything he can to find out why he wants that. (It's an interesting plot point that delivers throughout the film, often with much humor.)

The amazing thing about this film is that it shows straight men who love each other and care for each other; they look out for one another, with little female involvement in the film. (Ann Wedgeworth and Selma Diamond have a couple good scenes.) It's a really affecting movie and not something you usually see in a film. And the film doesn't portray Pearson's character (Robert DeNiro) in any sentimental way that makes you feel sorry for him particularly. He's just living as he can while his friend supports him, eventually the whole team practically in on it. DeNiro has the problem, but he's not the one that propels the story. It's wonderful just seeing him play a quietly accepting and normal acting person who isn't really smart at all, who is just trying to do the thing he loves day after day while dealing with his personal problem, and who has a friend having his back along the way. It's quite moving.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1788 on: June 27, 2020, 03:53:20 PM »
The amazing thing about this film is that it shows straight men who love each other and care for each other; they look out for one another...
It's a really affecting movie and not something you usually see in a film.

I was thinking about something Jeff wrote in the TV thread when we were talking about "Buddie" -- Buck and Eddie on 9-1-1.

I'm not quite indifferent to what they do with them on the show. I say "not quite" because, yes, I would like to see them a couple, but, on the other hand, I've gotten such a Buddie fix through fan fiction that I kind of don't need to see it in the show--if that makes any sense, or can even be followed.

Then, just this morning I happened to reread some comments by Oliver Stark (Buck) that made me think that some of us are so unaccustomed to seeing a close, supportive, even loving relationship between two guys portrayed in a TV show that we can't conceive of such a relationship as not being erotic.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1789 on: June 27, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
--Bang the Drum Slowly

I thought this was originally a TV movie, it isn't. I thought it was based on actual people, it isn't.  This 1973 film is about a baseball player, Henry, who has a friend, Pearson, someone with limited intellect, also a ballplayer, who has been dealt a bad hand, he's got Hodgkin's disease.

Thank you, Lyle, you ruined my Saturday night!   :laugh:

I knew the movie title (I've never seen it), and I also knew that line, "bang the drum slowly" from somewhere. I've now spent, like, more than an hour trying to track it down, because it was driving me crazy. I thought it might have been from "In Memoriam," by Tennyson, or the obvious, in context, would be "To an Athlete, Dying Young," by A. E. Housman. It's from neither. It's from "Streets of Laredo" (or maybe some version of it.  :laugh: Still seems like a military reference.

"Oh, beat the drum slowly and play the fife lowly."

You weren't far off in thinking it was a TV movie. The novel was adapted for a TV drama long before it was a movie.

In its general outline, that sounds similar to Brian's Song (1971).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 09:12:23 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1790 on: June 28, 2020, 11:53:24 AM »

Jeff, there's actually a character in the movie, a country-cowboy type who sings that song in the clubhouse. I never did like that song.
I read a bit about the tv adaptation you mentioned, it was done in 1956, the same year the novel came out, for the U.S. Steel Hour.
It starred Paul Newman and George Peppard.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1791 on: June 28, 2020, 12:34:34 PM »
--The Artist

I gave this Best Picture winner another viewing last night. Haven't seen it since it first came out 9 years ago. Of course, it's really kind of a gimmick of a movie. So I'm feeling the gimmick wears off on subsequent viewings. Not that it's a silent movie, but that it plays with the conventions of silent films, and once you know that it isn't as interesting because you know the joke. It still has the all of the actors charms and a really wonderful score, which makes all the difference. It was also filmed in Hollywood, where it takes place, which is an added bonus because that's what it's about. It's also fun to look at all the extras in it and see modern faces in a silent film environment.

_______

As an aside, I'm quite familiar with silent films and have seen a whole lot of them over the years, a great many in movie theatres. Los Angeles actually had one of the only theaters left in the world that regularly only showed silent films. (It still shows some, but that's not all it does now.) Sometimes whether you like a silent film or not can vary depending on the musical accompaniment. Strange, but really true.  Wings is the first Best Picture winner and it's a silent film and so it gets shown here and there over the years because of that. I first saw it with a piano score that played along on the soundtrack with it. The Paramount VHS version of it used an organ score and I didn't really like that version. When AMPAS had their Best Picture series over a decade ago they had a special new score made for it and it was performed with a live orchestra. (Orchestras used to use their instruments when playing for silent films as sound effects for many bits in these films, too.) For some reason the piano score is what's stayed with me when I think of the film.

There's a pretty famous Paramount silent film called The Covered Wagon, for those that know silent films, and it first came out in 1923. It was one of a group of silent films that Paramount first put out on VHS back in the day. I watched it and was really bored with the film. I did not care for the score that was used for it, either. So when I attended AMPAS's summer Silent Film series of ten films a decade ago, I was not looking forward to seeing The Covered Wagon. (The films in the series were the films from the decade before the Oscars started, that had won the Photoplay Award (I think that's the magazine) for Best Picture of the Year. So at that screening the score for the film (it wasn't necessarily the same one as on the VHS) was played by a western combo and the combination of seeing this on the big screen and the lively western combo playing the score made the viewing an extreme delight!

I can say that the best way to see a silent film is in a theatre with live musical accompaniment, whether it's one person at a piano or a combo or a full orchestra. Those have been my favorite viewings of silent films. And, if it's a slapstick comedy with Buster Keaton or Charlie Chaplin or Harold Lloyd, all the better! I've also been particularly fond of Clara Bow films.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1792 on: June 28, 2020, 12:53:02 PM »
I've also been particularly fond of Clara Bow films.

Speaking of this, that reminds me that Damien Chazelle (La La Land, Whiplash) has landed a deal with Paramount for his next film that' currently titled Babylon. It takes place in Hollywood and, at least partly, deals with the silent film era. Not much is known about the plot, but it has been stated that Brad Pitt will star and Emma Stone is attached to it playing Clara Bow. So whether it's specifically about Clara Bow or not, I don't know. And with the current state of things in Hollywood, who knows how that will affect any productions in terms of when they'll be made or if delays will cause casting changes etc., but I'm very interested in this movie.

I've read two biographies about Clara Bow and find her personal life immensely intriguing. I've always thought a film about her would be a fantastic thing, but because of her notoriety (some of it false) who could portray her that could convey such a thing nowadays? A lot of what she did that was scandalous in the 1920's is hardly that now. But a movie about her entire life seems improbable.

By the way, Clara Bow felt her voice wasn't up to being in sound pictures and I suppose it was a notion foisted upon her when people from the stage started coaching everyone to speak like robots on camera back then. (Example: the "Moses Supposes" number in Singin' in the Rain.) But her voice was really similar to Jean Harlow and Clara is really good in her sound films. She did more than anyone thinks she did and I've seen about a half a dozen of them and think they're really good, particularly Call Her Savage, Hoopla, and True to the Navy. (In Call Her Savage there's even a scene in a gay bar!)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1793 on: June 28, 2020, 01:02:23 PM »

This is a new Amazon Studios movie that stars Joseph Gordon Levitt. If one is interested, it's best not to know a lot about it because of what it's about. Suffice it to say that he plays a co-pilot and "7500" is code for an airplane hijacking.

I liked it, FWIW.  I looked up critic reviews and I sense that the ones who aren't finding it as satisfying as they'd like is because the film plays out, not totally, but in sort of real time. So that it's not a movie that tells you things you might want to know, like why is what's happening happening, or contextual things about any of the characters. It's almost like what circumstances would be like if you were there in the moment and when it's over it's over. And you have questions that won't be answered. I thought it was a tense 90 minute edge of your seat movie.

P.S.: I like Joseph Gordon Levitt and he hasn't done any movies lately.

Offline jbyrd2

• Getting Acquainted
« Reply #1794 on: June 29, 2020, 06:08:37 AM »

This is a new Amazon Studios movie that stars Joseph Gordon Levitt. If one is interested, it's best not to know a lot about it because of what it's about. Suffice it to say that he plays a co-pilot and "7500" is code for an airplane hijacking.

I liked it, FWIW.  I looked up critic reviews and I sense that the ones who aren't finding it as satisfying as they'd like is because the film plays out, not totally, but in sort of real time. So that it's not a movie that tells you things you might want to know, like why is what's happening happening, or contextual things about any of the characters. It's almost like what circumstances would be like if you were there in the moment and when it's over it's over. And you have questions that won't be answered. I thought it was a tense 90 minute edge of your seat movie.

P.S.: I like Joseph Gordon Levitt and he hasn't done any movies lately.

This was his first role since 2016 if I recall correctly. I must admit, I have yet to see it. From what I heard, it’s very good. The only con is, I guess, the ending could have been better. I’m very impressed they made this film as good as it was considering the limited amount of actors. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1795 on: June 29, 2020, 08:23:44 AM »
Jeff, there's actually a character in the movie, a country-cowboy type who sings that song in the clubhouse. I never did like that song.
I read a bit about the tv adaptation you mentioned, it was done in 1956, the same year the novel came out, for the U.S. Steel Hour.
It starred Paul Newman and George Peppard.

I read about that when I was trying to place the song.

I'm still convinced that drum business came into "Streets of Laredo" from some military-related song. The reference to fifes as well as the drum seems very 18th century military.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #1796 on: June 29, 2020, 08:31:57 AM »
There's a pretty famous Paramount silent film called The Covered Wagon, for those that know silent films, and it first came out in 1923. It was one of a group of silent films that Paramount first put out on VHS back in the day. I watched it and was really bored with the film. I did not care for the score that was used for it, either. So when I attended AMPAS's summer Silent Film series of ten films a decade ago, I was not looking forward to seeing The Covered Wagon. (The films in the series were the films from the decade before the Oscars started, that had won the Photoplay Award (I think that's the magazine) for Best Picture of the Year. So at that screening the score for the film (it wasn't necessarily the same one as on the VHS) was played by a western combo and the combination of seeing this on the big screen and the lively western combo playing the score made the viewing an extreme delight!

The making of the movie The Covered Wagon plays a role in one of Margaret Coel's "Wind River Mysteries" novels. I have no idea whether it's true or just something she invented, but the plot of her novel involves some "real" Native Americans being hired to play Native Americans in the movie. I could track down the book, but it would take awhile.

I saw copies of a few issues of Photoplay years ago. I thought the name was interesting--maybe indicating the concept of movies as filmed plays?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1797 on: June 29, 2020, 02:31:30 PM »
This was his first role since 2016 if I recall correctly. I must admit, I have yet to see it. From what I heard, it’s very good. The only con is, I guess, the ending could have been better. I’m very impressed they made this film as good as it was considering the limited amount of actors.

I was fine with the ending, myself.

So I looked up JGL. Besides Snowden in 2016 he did a music video type film called Straight Outta Oz. He played the Wizard. ?

Since then it seems he's done a lot of voice work...in Star Wars - The Last Jedi and Knives Out. And a TV series of six episodes he did voice work on, called Comrade Detective.

He has a movie ready to come out this year (whenever that is) called Project Power that also stars Jamie Foxx, a movie in post-production called The Trial of the Chicago Seven which was written and directed by Aaron Sorkin that has a pretty large cast that includes Eddie Redmayne, Sacha Baron Cohen, Jeremy Strong, John Carroll Lynch, Mark Rylance and Frank Langella.

It seems he's been spending a lot of time trying to get a TV series called Mr. Corman off the ground. He wrote, directed and starred in the pilot. I don't know if it's been picked up or planned for any further action on it, but it's labeled as a deep dive into the life of a high school teacher in the San Fernando Valley.

Then there are two announced projects (which means in the very early stages) called Wingmen, which Channing Tatum is also attached to (I"d like to be attached to him as well) and is said to be "an R-rated musical comedy about the misadventures of two pilots." (He's graduated to pilot.)

The other is titled K Troop, described as: "Major Lewis Merrill fights off the Ku Klux Klan after the American Civil War."

Never count on anything one reads about that is listed as "Announced", though. They sometimes go through several casting changes, sometimes never get made, and if they are, are often years off being completed, so we shall see. Although he's also listed as a producer for those two films and a writer on Wingmen as well, so he's involved in those in other ways besides acting.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1798 on: June 29, 2020, 07:12:37 PM »
I watched A Hard Day's Night. I know, I've NEVER seen it, I've never seen HELP either! haha......I do like the Beatles, but wasn't a hard-core Fan. They certainly did produce a huge amount of music though. Probably be with me through the rest of my Life anyway. This film though.......just a little crazy, but I watched the whole thing, mostly for the music!  ;D

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #1799 on: June 29, 2020, 08:50:05 PM »
When 'A Hard Days Night ' came out, I must have been 20. I was the Youth Leader at my church and as the Youth Group was going to see the film so I had to go as well. I came out an ardent fan, soon having a Beatles haircut, much to my Father's disgust.  I can truly say it changed my life. I can only remember seeing it once again since.