The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 107322 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2055 on: September 14, 2020, 10:59:14 AM »
I saw an interesting film from the UK, Breathe. It's a feature film with actors Andrew Garfield and Claire Foy who play Robin and Diana Cavendish. Robin was struck down at the age of 28 in in 1958 with polio which paralysed him from the neck down. He was given three months to live. With the unflagging support of Diana, her brothers and their friends, Robin got out of hospital and  became a pioneering responaut who lived until the age of 64.

The film was produced by Jonathan Cavendish as a tribute to his parents and directed by Andy Serkis. It is very well done, not at all mawkishly sentimental. Diana and Robin were able to enjoy life and there are plenty of moments of fun.

Wow, that movie was from three years ago already?  I saw this when it came out. Thought Andrew Garfield was great. Why is it some years a movie and performance like this would be embraced at awards time, like Eddie Redmayne's, which I found unsatisfying, and other years not a peep. Anyway, I highly recommend this movie because, as you said, "It is very well done, not at all mawkishly sentimental." A lot of films like this make you look at the person with an affliction as someone else and distant, if that makes sense. In this one you just accept the person as is and what it is he wants to accomplish so you identify with the person immediately and not feel that distance. IMO. It's actually a wonderful film with a lot of humor and heart.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #2056 on: September 14, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
So what you're all saying is that this Halloween really is the scariest one ever.

Halloween this year falls on a full moon, which will be a Blue Moon,  it's the end of Daylight Savings, on a Saturday, during a pandemic.

Prepare yourself for all sorts of chaos.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2057 on: September 14, 2020, 10:38:27 PM »
On Sunday night, ABC TV in Australia premiered Freeman, a documentary with the reflections of the World Champion runner Cathy Freeman, the Guugu Yalandji woman who won the 400 metres gold medal at the Sydney Olympic Games in 2000.

The film was directed by Laurence Billiet. The documentary is unusually cinematic. It doesn't take the standard form of back and forth shots of the subject talking to the camera, with cutaways to action and other talking heads. It includes archival footage of Cathy Freeman's races, brief extracts of past interviews, Freeman family photos and intimate conversations with her. The remarks of commentators, coaches, former athletes are mostly heard on the soundtrack. The film is a more character-based narrative. Cathy Freeman's reflections are filmed with photos of her forebears projected onto floating gauze.

We see Cathy Freeman in the 2000 Olympic opening ceremony where she stands in the waterfall and lights the ring of fire which rises to ignite the cauldron.

In the lead-up to the video of the 400 metre final, there is video of the events of 2000 including the 250 000 people who walked over the Sydney Harbour Bridge in support of Reconciliation as Cathy Freeman addresses the significance of her win for the movement. Her reflections just before the race are interspersed with a performance by Lillian Banks choreographed by Stephen Page of the Bangarra Dance Theatre. He choreographed the Dreamtime chapter of the opening ceremony.

It's not at all arty-farty.

In preparation, the director had Cathy Freeman revisualise the rsce, lying on a couch with her eyes closed. She was able to see the whole thing step by step. We hear her wonderful remembered feelings as we watch the race.

The film, without being polemical, prompts Australians to think about where we are now compared with those rare moments of unity during that race.

It was all the more interesting to me because I was in Dili with no access to TV during the Sydney Olympics.

ABC TV is currently streaming the film on iView.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 12:17:26 AM by tfferg »

Offline brian

• Obsessed
« Reply #2058 on: September 14, 2020, 10:49:51 PM »

ABC TV is currently streaming the film on iView.
Unfortunately it is not available in NZ so I doubt in the USA or Europe. A major beef I have with ABC and SBS, so much is not available overseas as they plan/hope to sell the program.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2059 on: September 15, 2020, 12:34:41 AM »
Unfortunately it is not available in NZ so I doubt in the USA or Europe. A major beef I have with ABC and SBS, so much is not available overseas as they plan/hope to sell the program.

How frustrating, Brian.

The official website freemanthefil.com for the film says to stay tuned for broadcast dates outside Australia. You can see the trailer there.

The film was produced by General Strike and Matchbox Pictures in association with the ABC.

Cathy Freeman's account of her feelings as she ran that race is so poetic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 01:13:57 AM by tfferg »