The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428156 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2265 on: January 04, 2021, 08:50:28 PM »
Tonight I'll be watching one of my ALL TIME favorite films, The Big Chill, which I think is a Classic among the BabyBoomer crowd!  ;D

It's a great movie. I wonder why I never got around to adding it to my DVD collection?  :(

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2266 on: January 08, 2021, 04:25:34 PM »
I recorded "The Shape of Water"...over the Christmas holiday but have
only just watched it. After all the hoohaa about it ...I was quite dissapointed. It almost seemed like a 1950's B movie to me. Not impressed at all.
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2267 on: January 08, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »
1 went to see an Australian feature film directed last year by Roderick MacKay called The Furnace. (not to be confused with an American film with the same name).

It was filmed in the outback Mount Magnet and Kalbarri areas of of Western Australia, Yamatji Wajarri and Yamatji Badimaya country.

It is set in 1987 and depicts cameleers from Afghanistan, India and Persia who between 1870 and 1920 carried provisions through remote outback parts of Australia before roads and railways were built. These cameleers often interacted closely with Indigenous Australians and married into their clans.

Unusually for an Australian film, the main character is Hanif, played by Egyptian actor Ahmed Malek, as a Pashto-speaking cameleer who, as a result of a racist murder by a gold prospector sets out on a journey through the bush with a wounded white man (the well-known David Wenham) who turns out to be a vicious criminal who has stolen gold bullion from his accomplices and is pursued by police troopers.

The opening scene shows Hanif with his co cameleer Jundah, a Punjabi-speaking Sikh with Woorak, (Baykali Ganambarr who features in The Nightingale) and other Badimaya people. The dialogue is in Badimaya (with subtitles). The language is endangered.

In other (subtitled) scenes, characters speak a range of languages including Dari and Cantonese.

The history which inspired the film is not taught in Australia and cameleers known as Ghans, appear in other Australian period films only as minor characters.

The film plays out as a classic Western. There are some very moving scenes.

The film has been shown at international film festivals and has been released online in the UK so far.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:10:55 PM by tfferg »

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #2268 on: January 08, 2021, 07:35:37 PM »
I thought it might have been the film I for which I saw the trailer yesterday when I went to se 'The Dry'. However I just checked and it was 'High Ground' starting here on Feb 4. It also had Aboriginal language in it.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2269 on: January 09, 2021, 12:45:20 AM »
I thought it might have been the film I for which I saw the trailer yesterday when I went to se 'The Dry'. However I just checked and it was 'High Ground' starting here on Feb 4. It also had Aboriginal language in it.

Yes, I saw the trailer for High Ground before the screening of The Furnace. It opens here on January 28.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2270 on: January 09, 2021, 11:38:21 AM »

Brian and Tony:  Enjoy the simple pleasure of going to a movie. I haven't been to one in ten months and more months ahead before any possibility.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2271 on: January 09, 2021, 01:49:25 PM »
Brian and Tony:  Enjoy the simple pleasure of going to a movie. I haven't been to one in ten months and more months ahead before any possibility.

Thanks Lyle. We're lucky that it is possible after the many weeks of hard lockdown in Melbourne and especially the cancellation of our Queer Film Festival in March last year. We were able to see a few of the festival films streamed online a few weeks ago, but not a number of ones I had booked.

I'm sorry you have been missing out for so long and the situation is so bad now.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #2272 on: January 09, 2021, 02:06:46 PM »
Yes, we are lucky. My sister is still not wiling to go to the movies in Sydney. She is in her mid 80's.
We in NZ were closed from late March until, I think, early July then we opened with booked seats, with one or two spare seats between strangers. Now all is normal except we should use our Covid app when entering cinemas, shops and cafes/restaurants. I nearly always do but most people walk straight past. I just hope we are not too complacent but we have not had a community case since April. Of course, if one does occur, our government will go into overdrive as in Brisbane this weekend where one case (a cleaner from an isolation hotel) has shut down a city of over 1 million.
I have a mask but have not yet taken it out of its packaging.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2273 on: January 09, 2021, 04:20:12 PM »
Yes, we are lucky. My sister is still not wiling to go to the movies in Sydney. She is in her mid 80's.
We in NZ were closed from late March until, I think, early July then we opened with booked seats, with one or two spare seats between strangers. Now all is normal except we should use our Covid app when entering cinemas, shops and cafes/restaurants. I nearly always do but most people walk straight past. I just hope we are not too complacent but we have not had a community case since April. Of course, if one does occur, our government will go into overdrive as in Brisbane this weekend where one case (a cleaner from an isolation hotel) has shut down a city of over 1 million.
I have a mask but have not yet taken it out of its packaging.

Yes, it's similar here. For the two films I've seen recently, I had to book a ticket online for an inner suburban cinema complex. Both films were screened in small but spacious cinemas and people were seated at a good distance from each other. There were very few people  at the screenings I went to on weekday afternoons

The online booking system means there is a record of our contact details. I went early the other day to ask about assisted listening and then I bought a choc top and sat in the bar. The bartender came to ask if I had a ticket. If I hadn't, she would have had to get me to give my name and contact number. I don't have a QR thingy.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #2274 on: January 09, 2021, 05:21:27 PM »
I do not book online because of the surcharge. The only exception is the NY metro opera and similar drama which are expensive anyway and always have booked seats. There are never crowds when I usually go - morning weekdays. There were only 4 perhaps 5 in the 70 seat cinema for 'The Dry' . Even on weekends not for my type of movie.  Although last Saturday (Jan 2) I went to see 'A call to spy' with a friend. It was pouring (floods) and the 42 seat cinema was packed.
I get every 7th movie free- 'The Dry' was free. It was my 3rd free movie since the end of lockdown. I knew my first one would be free as the last movie before lockdown, she said "Your next one is free" but, of course, I had to wait.
There seem to be problems with the Australian QR code. It works on my sister's phone but not her husband's although it is newer. We had teething problems early on but everything seems fine now.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2275 on: January 09, 2021, 09:29:19 PM »
The booking fee for the sessions I booked was only $1, much lower than other things I've had to book online before.

How did you like The Dry?  It's getting much more publicity here than The Furnace.

Offline brianr

• Obsessed
« Reply #2276 on: January 09, 2021, 09:47:27 PM »
The booking fee for the sessions I booked was only $1, much lower than other things I've had to book online before.

How did you like The Dry?  It's getting much more publicity here than The Furnace.
I enjoyed it. Well acted and great scenery. There were some absurdities in the mystery. From what I read it is very close to the book so they must also be in the book. Describing them would give away the plot. It does not appear that The Furnace will be released in NZ anytime soon.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2277 on: January 09, 2021, 11:27:48 PM »
This evening I amused myself with The Cowboy Way (1994), with Woody Harrelson and Kiefer Sutherland as a couple of no-account New Mexico cowboys.

This is the sort of movie you watch with a large bowl of popcorn when you are stuck at home alone on a Saturday night because of a pandemic.

I mention this movie particularly for two reasons:

First: At the opening, we see Harrelson and Sutherland's characters as little boys "on the woolies."

Second: Harrelson and Sutherland go to New York City to search for a missing friend. A New York City police officer (Ernie Hudson) befriends them and takes them to Missing Persons to look for their friend. I noticed right away that the person searching the Missing Person's database was none other than Allison Janney. In the credits she is listed as "Lady Cop."

To my taste, young Sutherland look really good with a mustache. I'd have gone there. ...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2278 on: January 16, 2021, 12:20:44 PM »
^^^

I wonder if I saw that? It's not ringing any bells.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2279 on: January 16, 2021, 01:26:40 PM »

--Tenet

Christopher Nolan's films seem to get harder and harder to watch as he makes more of them.

I felt like I was thrust into a conversation and I didn't know what anyone was talking about, even if they did.
And trying to figure it out along the way was tiring more than interesting, although I enjoyed parts of it.
None of the lead actors did anything for me.

What I did find a bit irritating was the personal relationship thing, that the most fraught and dangerous mission
these people are involved in are because of someone has a marital difficulty. Or other family problem or concern,
like in "The Day After Tomorrow" or the "War of the Worlds" remake.  That seems like a cliché I've seen a few
times before. I want to blow up the world because my wife's a bitch sort of thing.

I'm not suggesting that films like this need to be dumbed down. I mean, as intricate as Nolan's Inception was, it was still
understandable. You could follow it.

At the end of Tenet, do we know what Tenet is? What it means? Yeah, in the beginning he's told it's a word that will help him.
Get info I guess. (Pretty vague.) I just looked up to see online if there's anything. Here's one thing: As a word, a “tenet” is
defined as a principle or a belief, traditionally relating to a religion or philosophical understanding – and within the film
this seems to tie into "The Protagonist's" mission, which he has to undertake on trust without knowing exactly who he's
working for or what he's working towards.

Also, to have a complicated plot and to call the lead actor Protagonist. Is that a joke? It's like Michael York
in Austin Powers calling himself Basil Exposition!

Frankly, I just wanted to sit down and watch and be entertained by a film. The experience of watching Tenet was more like
reading a textbook about an unfamiliar subject. I am really glad to have seen it, but I did not want to work so hard watching
a movie. At least that night I didn't.