The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 425523 times)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2280 on: January 16, 2021, 09:29:03 PM »
I saw most of Babel directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu on TV, an absorbingly dramatic feature set in Morocco, the US and Mexico and Tokyo with cinematography by Rodrigo Prieto and the musical score by Gustave Santoalalla.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:38:46 PM by tfferg »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2281 on: January 17, 2021, 11:49:38 AM »
Gustavo won a second Oscar for that score. And there are a couple instances iof exact bars of music from BBM in Babel that people have tuned into (noticed) here on the forum.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 11:57:37 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2282 on: January 17, 2021, 11:56:28 AM »

--WW84

I enjoyed the first WW movie, but I didn't really get into this one. One of the reasons I can't say because it would involve spoilers. The other is that a great deal of the last section of the movie that seems to go on and on involves the POTUS (not Reagan, just a generic one, though it's supposed to be 84) and most of the action involves seeing the White House and D.C. in turmoil and considering the recent events taking place there, I didn't really care to see D.C. in ruins again.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2283 on: January 17, 2021, 01:20:07 PM »
^^ WW84 - I tend to agree.  The first one needed a good edit and the director was overruled by the Hollywood executives so that huge, long, battlescene at the end was a gift to the teenage market.  As for WW84, she got to do more the way she wanted this time but I felt (as did my partner) that it realllllllly needed a good edit too.   I cannot recommend it either unless you are big fan... though the cameo at the end surfaced many fond childhood memories of that red, white, blue outfit with that golden lasso.  ;)  Stay safe, stay alive!  V.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2284 on: January 17, 2021, 03:39:47 PM »
I saw most of Babel directed by Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu on TV, an absorbingly dramatic feature set in Morocco, the US and Mexico and Tokyo with cinematography by Rodrigo Prieto and the musical score by Gustave Santoalalla.

One of my favourite movies ever.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2285 on: January 23, 2021, 09:55:59 PM »
"Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2286 on: January 24, 2021, 03:28:10 AM »
"Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

"I carried a watermelon.  Carried a watermelon?".

Emile Ardolino's "DIRTY DANCING" (1987) isn't a bad movie.  Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze give good performances in regards to their acting and dancing abilities.  The overall dancing scenes and the song soundtrack are excellent, but I don't think it is as great of a movie as what a lot of my fellow female friends seem to think it is.  I liked Jerry Zucker's "GHOST" (1990) better.  Patrick Swayze made the character of Sam Wheat sympathetic, romantic, and funny.  Demi Moore is a decent actress, and she is just downright gorgeous. Whoopi Goldberg gave a great performance as Oda Mae Brown, the feisty, hard-willed psychic.  I definitely though that Whoopi deserved to win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress that she was bestowed with at the Oscars ceremony in 1991.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:37:32 AM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2287 on: January 24, 2021, 03:30:46 AM »
One of my favourite movies ever.

I remember that some old posts on this forum had commenters saying that they enjoyed "BABEL", and that they thought it was a much better example of telling the intersecting stories of multiple characters than Paul Haggis's "CRASH" (2004).

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2288 on: January 24, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
"I carried a watermelon.  Carried a watermelon?".

:D

Emile Ardolino's "DIRTY DANCING" (1987) isn't a bad movie.  Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze give good performances in regards to their acting and dancing abilities.  The overall dancing scenes and the song soundtrack are excellent, but I don't think it is as great of a movie as what a lot of my fellow female friends seem to think it is.  I liked Jerry Zucker's "GHOST" (1990) better.  Patrick Swayze made the character of Sam Wheat sympathetic, romantic, and funny.  Demi Moore is a decent actress, and she is just downright gorgeous. Whoopi Goldberg gave a great performance as Oda Mae Brown, the feisty, hard-willed psychic.  I definitely though that Whoopi deserved to win the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress that she was bestowed with at the Oscars ceremony in 1991.

I'd go a bit further and call Dirty Dancing a pretty good movie of its kind--the kind being the kind of entertainment I want for a Saturday night stuck at home alone because of a pandemic. I like all those great old period tunes, too. I've read that nobody expected it to be a hit, let alone the huge hit it was.

And, then, of course, there's Patrick Swayze. ... In those black tank tops. ... And those moves. ... Since he started as a dancer (went to New York for ballet), I guess those moves came pretty naturally.

I've never seen Ghost. I guess it's probably worth it for Whoopi. From everything I've ever read, it's sounded too swoony-romantic for my taste.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2289 on: January 24, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »
I loved Ghost.  I don't know that I would call it swoony-romantic, there are definitely sentimental moments and pulls on the heartstrings.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2290 on: January 25, 2021, 01:48:43 AM »

We watched UNDER THE SKIN with Scarlett Johansson yesterday evening. Scary and fascinating. Intriguing soundtrack.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2291 on: January 28, 2021, 10:33:05 PM »
Cloris Leachman, the decorated actress of stage and screen best known for her role as the annoyingly perfect landlady Phyllis Lindstrom on The Mary Tyler Moore Show, died on January 27, 2021. She was 94. Leachman's manager, Juliet Green, confirms to PEOPLE that the actress died Wednesday of natural causes.

"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2292 on: January 28, 2021, 10:35:04 PM »
Cicely Tyson, Emmy- and Tony-winning actress whose electrifying portrayals of resilient Black women — foremost in the 1974 TV movie “The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman” but also as Coretta Scott King and Harriet Tubman — brought some of the first ennobling portrayals of African Americans to a vast television audience, died on Thursday afternoon, January 28, 2021. She was 96.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2293 on: January 29, 2021, 01:44:46 AM »

To be honest: I'm not familar with either, although I should - so I must (and will) look them up. Thanks for the short info, also in the Diner.

WISE UP

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2294 on: January 29, 2021, 07:28:13 AM »
I had no idea of the length and diversity of Cloris Leachman's career, or the number of awards or nominations she and Cicely Tyson both had received.

So, now, who will be the third?