The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428100 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2310 on: January 31, 2021, 04:09:02 AM »
Coincidentally, the other day I got out the translation of “Beowulf” from my university days, and on the front cover is a print of this beautiful 6th century buckle from the Sutton Hoo burial. And I did manage to see the real thing in the British Museum.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2311 on: January 31, 2021, 05:24:42 AM »

I plan to see END OF WATCH tonight. Finally.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2312 on: January 31, 2021, 07:58:38 AM »
I plan to see END OF WATCH tonight. Finally.

Oh, I hope you post your feelings, whatever they may be, in the "Serious About Jake" thread.  I'm assuming this is the Jake movie you're talking about.

Offline archaeologist_d

• Obsessed
  • World Traveler
« Reply #2313 on: January 31, 2021, 08:11:57 AM »
well, I finally saw 'The Dig'. I loved it. Having been on digs, I thought they did an excellent job of showing just what kind of problems there were dealing with cave ins (yes, they happen which is why they should have had shoring), weather, trying to figure out just what the heck was going on, the falling apart of artifacts due to age and handling. It was really pretty perfect in that regard.

I will say that I was less upset about the women being pretty or younger. Hey, archaeologists can be pretty, you know. In fact, they tend to be young, athletic (shoveling out tons of dirt will give you arms and legs!), and articulate. And I know of several archaeologists who had affairs during digs. There was one spectacular one that sent shock waves through the archaeological community for years afterwards.

I didn't know why they had Mrs Pretty being younger and her having a young boy since any children she had would have been adults by then. I thought the actress did a great job showing how frail she was. I also loved that Peggy Piggott showed up initially in a dress and very quickly got into trousers. Some archaeologists wear shorts in the summer but if you are kneeling in the dirt for long, trousers it is.

I also loved the ending where they had info about what happened afterwards. Of course, the &@(#)%&@# head archaeologist didn't acknowledge Mr Brown's accomplishments for the longest time. It was almost a joke that 'amateurs' wouldn't be acknowledged. That only changed recently. 

Anyway, finally a movie that I want to see more than once.

ETA: I have since looked her up and yes, she had a child very late in life so the kid would have been 10 at the time.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:35:05 AM by archaeologist_d »
Never settle for the path of least resistance.
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2314 on: January 31, 2021, 02:48:43 PM »
Oh, I hope you post your feelings, whatever they may be, in the "Serious About Jake" thread.  I'm assuming this is the Jake movie you're talking about.

Yes, that's the one. I promise to post and comment, Chuckster.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2315 on: February 01, 2021, 07:34:19 AM »
As a follow-up to the above, I'd like to add a link. The British Museum has been putting out various small videos showcasing and discussing artefacts of the collection during the pandemic.

In connection with the premiere of 'The Dig', a short video has been published in which Doctor Susan Brunning, the curator of the Early Medieval Europe collections at the BM, presents the Sutton Hoo helmet in an extremely interesting, informative and engaging manner. I think this is an excellent way to get to know a bit more about the most important and fascinating object from this burial.

Link - give it a go!

Many thanks for the link, Gillian - I’m going to follow up my viewing of the film yesterday with this and other background information.

I enjoyed the film very much, and was not too bothered by the departure from the facts. It was visually very beautiful, and I liked the elegiac atmosphere, on the cusp of the beginning of the war, and with thoughts on the intransigence of human life and what remains of it after death.

Excellent acting all round, particularly Ralph Fiennes, and I thought little Robert added a lot to the story.

Someone mentioned Peggy not being very perceptive about her husband’s sexuality, but from what my mother (born 1912) said, women were probably aware that some men were “different”, but that it wasn’t something that they ever thought about much or expected to touch their own lives.

I did wish, as someone else has said, that more had been made of showing us the artefacts. (Sorry, haven’t checked back on all the posts.)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2316 on: February 01, 2021, 11:59:19 AM »
I am clearly in the mood for action pictures that require only a bowl of popcorn and a Coke--no thinking whatsoever. This Saturday was The Mask of Zorro (1998), with Antonio Banderas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Anthony Hopkins. Catherine Zeta-Jones is still one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, and Antonio Banderas was smokin' hot.

I just learned this morning that there was a sequel. I'll have to see if I can track it down.

I can't go out, but on Saturday nights I still clean myself up and dress like I was going out. Then I settle in with the movie.

I think next weekend will be Clash of the Titans--the original one, with Harry Hamlin, who was also smokin' hot.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2317 on: February 01, 2021, 01:18:55 PM »

The sequel was The Legend of Zorro, released in 2005, same year as Brokeback Mountain.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2318 on: February 01, 2021, 04:05:54 PM »
The sequel was The Legend of Zorro, released in 2005, same year as Brokeback Mountain.

Yeah, that's listed right under the original at IMDb. I saw the listing when I was double checking the date of the first movie.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2319 on: February 02, 2021, 10:26:54 PM »
I had no idea of the length and diversity of Cloris Leachman's career, or the number of awards or nominations she and Cicely Tyson both had received.

So, now, who will be the third?

Here's the third, Jeff.

Hal Holbrook, veteran actor who portrayed Mark Twain, dies at 95

(CNN)
Hal Holbrook, a legendary Emmy and Tony Award winning actor, died January 23 at his California home, his daughter Victoria told CNN on Tuesday.

He was 95.
Holbrook portrayed iconic author Mark Twain in one-man shows for more than six decades, winning a Tony Award for best actor in 1966 for his role in "Mark Twain Tonight!" which he also directed.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/02/entertainment/hal-holbrook-obit/index.html

He was actually the first of the three, dying January 23, 2021. His daughter did not announce it till today.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2320 on: February 03, 2021, 01:34:39 AM »

I liked him a lot in his role as a "desert grandpa" in INTO THE WILD.
WISE UP

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2321 on: February 03, 2021, 06:52:57 AM »
Here's the third, Jeff.

Hal Holbrook, veteran actor who portrayed Mark Twain, dies at 95

That would do it.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2322 on: February 03, 2021, 10:32:59 AM »

GOLDEN GLOBE NOMINATIONS

Best Motion Picture – Drama
“The Father” (Sony Pictures Classics)
“Mank” (Netflix)
“Nomadland” (Searchlight Pictures)
“Promising Young Woman” (Focus Features)
“The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix)

Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Riz Ahmed (“Sound of Metal”)
Chadwick Boseman (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
Anthony Hopkins (“The Father”)
Gary Oldman (“Mank”)
Tahar Rahim (“The Mauritanian”)

Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
Andra Day (“The United States vs. Billie Holiday”)
Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)
Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)
Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)

Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
“Borat Subsequent Moviefilm” (Amazon Studios)
“Hamilton” (Walt Disney Pictures)
“Palm Springs” (Neon)
“Music” (Vertical Entertainment)
“The Prom” (Netflix)

Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Sacha Baron Cohen (“Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”)
James Corden (“The Prom”)
Lin-Manuel Miranda (“Hamilton”)
Dev Patel (“The Personal History of David Copperfield”)
Andy Samberg (“Palm Springs”)

Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy
Maria Bakalova (“Borat Subsequent Moviefilm”)
Kate Hudson (“Music”)
Michelle Pfeiffer (“French Exit”)
Rosamund Pike (“I Care a Lot”)
Anya Taylor-Joy (“Emma”)

Best Actor in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Sacha Baron Cohen (“The Trial of the Chicago 7”)
Daniel Kaluuya (“Judas and the Black Messiah”)
Jared Leto (“The Little Things”)
Bill Murray (“On the Rocks”)
Leslie Odom, Jr. (“One Night in Miami”)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role in Any Motion Picture
Glenn Close (“Hillbilly Elegy”)
Olivia Colman (“The Father”)
Jodie Foster (“The Mauritanian”)
Amanda Seyfried (“Mank”)
Helena Zengel (“News of the World”)

Best Director – Motion Picture
Emerald Fennell, “Promising Young Woman” (Focus Features)
David Fincher, “Mank” (Netflix)
Regina King, “One Night in Miami” (Amazon Studios)
Aaron Sorkin, “The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix)
Chloé Zhao, “Nomadland” (Searchlight Pictures)

Best Motion Picture – Animated
“The Croods: A New Age” (Universal Pictures)
“Onward” (Walt Disney Pictures)
“Over the Moon” (Netflix)
“Soul” (Walt Disney Pictures)
“Wolfwalkers” (Cartoon Saloon)

Best Motion Picture – Foreign Language
“Another Round” (Samuel Goldwyn Films)
“La Llorona” (Shudder)
“The Life Ahead” (Netflix)
“Minari” (A24)
“Two of Us” (Magnolia Pictures)

Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
“Promising Young Woman” (Focus Features)
“Mank” (Netflix)
“The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix)
“The Father” (Sony Pictures Classics)
“Nomadland” (Searchlight Pictures)

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
“Fight for You” from “Judas and the Black Messiah” (Warner Bros.) – H.E.R., Dernst Emile II, Tiara Thomas
“Hear My Voice” from “The Trial of the Chicago 7” (Netflix) – Daniel Pemberton, Celeste
“Io Si (Seen)” from “The Life Ahead” (Netflix) – Diane Warren, Laura Pausini, Niccolò Agliardi
“Speak Now” from “One Night in Miami” (Amazon Studios) – Leslie Odom Jr, Sam Ashworth
“Tigress & Tweed” from “The United States vs. Billie Holliday” (Hulu) – Andra Day, Raphael Saadiq

Best Original Score – Motion Picture
“The Midnight Sky” (Netflix) – Alexandre Desplat
“Tenet” (Warner Bros.) – Ludwig Göransson
“News of the World” (Universal Pictures) – James Newton Howard
“Mank” (Netflix) – Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross
“Soul” (Pixar) – Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Jon Batiste

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2323 on: February 03, 2021, 01:14:55 PM »

Thanks, Lyle!

WISE UP

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2324 on: February 05, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
I am clearly in the mood for action pictures that require only a bowl of popcorn and a Coke--no thinking whatsoever. This Saturday was The Mask of Zorro (1998), with Antonio Banderas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Anthony Hopkins. Catherine Zeta-Jones is still one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, and Antonio Banderas was smokin' hot.

I just learned this morning that there was a sequel. I'll have to see if I can track it down.

I can't go out, but on Saturday nights I still clean myself up and dress like I was going out. Then I settle in with the movie.

I think next weekend will be Clash of the Titans--the original one, with Harry Hamlin, who was also smokin' hot.

Antonia Banderas is hot.  You're right about Catherine Zeta-Jones, she's extremely beautiful.  She is currently married to and had a few children with Michael Douglas, famed actor and the son of the late Kirk Douglas, also a legendary actor.  She won her role in "THE MASK OF ZORRO" (1998) in 1997 after Steven Spielberg recommended her to the director of "THE MASK OF ZORRO" after Spielberg was impressed upon watching Zeta-Jones' performance in the CBS network channel's television miniseries "TITANIC" (1996), which I believe was the first American filmed production that Zeta-Jones ever starred in.  The 1996 "TITANIC" miniseries also starred Peter Gallagher, George C. Scott, Tim Curry, Eva Marie Saint and Marilu Henner.  Interestingly enough, CBS's 1996 TV miniseries "TITANIC" originally aired just one year and one month before the original theatrical release of James Cameron's film "TITANIC" (1997) began.