The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428122 times)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2325 on: February 05, 2021, 04:17:14 PM »
I am clearly in the mood for action pictures that require only a bowl of popcorn and a Coke--no thinking whatsoever. This Saturday was The Mask of Zorro (1998), with Antonio Banderas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, and Anthony Hopkins. Catherine Zeta-Jones is still one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen, and Antonio Banderas was smokin' hot.

I just learned this morning that there was a sequel. I'll have to see if I can track it down.

I can't go out, but on Saturday nights I still clean myself up and dress like I was going out. Then I settle in with the movie.

I think next weekend will be Clash of the Titans--the original one, with Harry Hamlin, who was also smokin' hot.

You're also into men who look like Greek or Roman gods too, eh?  So am I.  I don't think I saw that movie.  I know I have never seen the 2010 remake.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2326 on: February 05, 2021, 07:28:43 PM »
You're also into men who look like Greek or Roman gods too, eh?  So am I.  I don't think I saw that movie.  I know I have never seen the 2010 remake.

That's true about the men. I saw Clash of the Titans in the theater. I'd never heard of Harry Hamlin (maybe at that point nobody had?), but he affected me so much I almost embarrassed myself in the theater.  ;D

I've never seen the remake, either. I really have no interest in it.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2327 on: February 06, 2021, 02:45:00 PM »
Christopher Plummer Dies: Oscar Winner & ‘Sound Of Music,’ ‘All The Money In The World’ Star A True Hollywood Legend

Christopher Plummer, who starred in The Sound of Music, won an Oscar for Beginners and was nominated for All the Money in the World and The Last Station, died peacefully today at his home in Connecticut, his family confirmed. Elaine Taylor, his wife and true best friend for 53 years, was by his side.

Along with becoming the oldest person to win an Oscar, Plummer also won a pair of Emmys and two Tonys during a nearly 70-year career.

Lou Pitt, his longtime friend and manager of 46 years, said; “Chris was an extraordinary man who deeply loved and respected his profession with great old fashion manners, self-deprecating humor and the music of words. He was a national treasure who deeply relished his Canadian roots. Through his art and humanity, he touched all of our hearts and his legendary life will endure for all generations to come. He will forever be with us.”

https://deadline.com/2021/02/christopher-plummer-dies-91-sound-of-music-all-the-money-in-the-world-star-1234688379/
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2328 on: February 06, 2021, 05:08:23 PM »
I just ran across this short movie when going through YouTube. It really is a very amazing and emotional story.

A homeless teen meets a deaf-blind man at a bus stop who changes his life forever.

https://youtu.be/h1CqzntEZZ8
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2329 on: February 06, 2021, 11:22:43 PM »
That's true about the men. I saw Clash of the Titans in the theater. I'd never heard of Harry Hamlin (maybe at that point nobody had?), but he affected me so much I almost embarrassed myself in the theater.  ;D

I've never seen the remake, either. I really have no interest in it.

Harry Hamlin will be 70 in October.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2330 on: February 07, 2021, 12:47:38 PM »
^^^

That doesn't seem right, does it!   :o

I remember him from the 1979 mini-series Studs Lonigan. I'd read the book so I watched it.
Harry had the title role!  He was also in the 1978 film Movie Movie, but I don't know exactly
when I saw that. Of course, a year after Titans he was in Making Love. Makes me wonder how
old Michael Ontkean is now.  (So I'll look: ...75!)

Our impressions of certain actors we see in movies and TV is that they don't age beyond our fondest memories.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2331 on: February 07, 2021, 03:48:35 PM »
That doesn't seem right, does it!   :o

No, it doesn't. Maybe even worse that Michael Ontkean is 75. He was really cute. I was thinking of him this morning but hadn't gotten around to looking him up.

I looked up Clash of the Titans at IMDb, and I was surprised to find no mention of Ray Harryhausen. I know his type of special effect was old fashioned, not to say outdated, by 1980-1981 (and I think it shows in Clash), but I was under the impression that his work was considered a landmark, and he was considered a master of his type of pre-CGI special effects.

Harry Hamlin's birthday is in October, so he was still 29 when Clash was released in June 1981. I haven't seen the filming dates, but I guess he was, maybe, 28 when the movie was made. He had already been involved with Ursula Andress for several years; they had a child together in 1980. (She appears as Aphrodite in Clash--I don't remember if she even had a line, or just stood there).

(I got interested in that, how old an actor was when a movie was filmed and when it was released, when I became enamored of Eddie and Cruisers. It doesn't really matter, and I don't know why I got interested--maybe because in Eddie Michael Pare was so young when he had the greatest role of his still-ongoing acting career--but I do find it interesting.)

Our impressions of certain actors we see in movies and TV is that they don't age beyond our fondest memories.

True. We think they don't age beyond the roles we know them for.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2332 on: February 07, 2021, 06:09:16 PM »
^^^ Yeap.  Sadly we cannot stop that clock. When I was a kid, maybe 10, I realized how old I'd be after 1 billion seconds  had passed and was fascinated... now I wasn't thinking about 2 billion. V.

“I suddenly realized that we were on borrowed time, that time is always borrowed, and that the lending agency exacts its premium precisely when we are least prepared to pay and need to borrow more...”

“Time makes us sentimental. Perhaps, in the end, it is because of time that we suffer.”

― André Aciman, Call Me by Your Name

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2333 on: February 07, 2021, 10:58:08 PM »
^^^ Yeap.  Sadly we cannot stop that clock. When I was a kid, maybe 10, I realized how old I'd be after 1 billion seconds  had passed and was fascinated... now I wasn't thinking about 2 billion. V.

“I suddenly realized that we were on borrowed time, that time is always borrowed, and that the lending agency exacts its premium precisely when we are least prepared to pay and need to borrow more...”

“Time makes us sentimental. Perhaps, in the end, it is because of time that we suffer.”

My favorite quote of the book!
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2334 on: February 08, 2021, 09:57:53 AM »
So, Harry Hamlin will be 70 in October, and Michael Ontkean is 75. That set me to looking at the third star of Making Love, Kate Jackson, whom I adore. She'll be 73 in October. That doesn't sound right, either.

When I saw Making Love in the theater, there were two teenage girls sitting right behind me. They giggled their way through the entire movie. I wanted to knock their heads together.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2335 on: February 08, 2021, 02:55:53 PM »

Or we suffer if we haven't come to terms with the fact of impermanence.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2336 on: February 09, 2021, 04:42:41 AM »
^^^ YEAP!  That is another underlying current in CMBYN - even stronger at times, than the mains flows. It's not simple nor easy to find a balance between the insanity we know now vs later.  V.

"How you live your life is your business, just remember, our hearts and our bodies are given to us only once. And before you know it, your heart is worn out, and, as for your body, there comes a point when no one looks at it, much less wants to come near it. Right now, there's sorrow, pain. Don't kill it and with it the joy you've felt."

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2337 on: February 10, 2021, 09:26:17 AM »
In the past week I've watched A Few Good Men, Southpaw and The Hangover.......all great entertainment, IMHO. I can't believe The Hangover is the only one I've seen before!! So many great films, so little time!  ;D :P :laugh:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2338 on: February 10, 2021, 10:58:21 AM »

I never watched Southpaw...too many boxing movies were out when it was released.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2339 on: February 10, 2021, 11:07:59 AM »

--The Brass Bottle

This is an early 1960's Universal Studios romp with Tony Randall, Burl Ives and Barbara Eden. It's about an architect who accidentally finds a genie in a giant brass bottle he was having a lamp made out of. The genie is Burl Ives, not Barbara Eden, but this movie is said to have "inspired" I Dream of Jeannie. Eden is Randall's fiancé and her parents think he's a loser and keep trying to interfere. Some of the optical effects are dated, but it's mostly a pleasant and amusing romp for the three actors involved. I particularly enjoyed the on location sections seeing what a few Los Angeles places that I was familiar with looked like nearly 60 years ago!