The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428107 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2355 on: February 16, 2021, 02:38:05 PM »

Logo's NewNowNext webpage had posted an article concerning this film titled "Did You Catch That Iconic 'Brokeback Mountain' Location in 'Let Him Go'?" Link HERE. They write:

Let It Go is based on a novel by Larry McMurtry Watkins, who is based in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Brokeback and Let Him Go were filmed in the town of Fort Macleod, in Alberta, Canada, so it shouldn’t be a real surprise that the same locations show up in both films. The town is also the home of other productions like Interstellar and the upcoming new Ghostbusters film.

This didn't occur to me:

Let Him Go is directed by Thomas Bezucha, the out filmmaker who also gave us The Family Stone, and the 1999 gay fave Big Eden. Could the use of Ennis and Alma’s apartment be a nod to Brokeback fans — or just a coincidence of Canadian filmmaking? Guess we’ll have to ask Bezucha for confirmation, but in the meantime, we like imagining the Brokeback and Let Him Go cowboys living in the same western town.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2356 on: February 16, 2021, 03:07:06 PM »
^^^ *@*(@*@  "The stairs! The Stairs!  THE STAIRS!"   

What Brokie would not immediately get chill bumps?

With one of my favorite actors - Costner.  Been following his career since "American Flyers" and yeah, I watch "Yellowstone"  ;)

Thanks for posting this!  V.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 05:29:58 AM by gattaca »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2357 on: February 17, 2021, 03:09:52 AM »

Great, Lyle! Fascinating.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2358 on: February 17, 2021, 03:10:18 AM »
^^^ *@*(@*@  "The stairs! The Stairs!  THE STAIRS!"   

Exactly!!
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2359 on: February 17, 2021, 11:15:02 AM »
Thanks for posting this!  V.

Yes, Vincent exactly!
And you're welcome.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2360 on: February 17, 2021, 11:15:26 AM »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2361 on: February 22, 2021, 09:01:04 AM »
I watched Django Unchained and Nightcrawler this weekend. Nightcrawler I've seen once before, but I always find NEW things on the 2nd viewing of any film. Django.......I don't know, an odd film from Quentin Tarantino, he's IN the film too! Didn't know that before...... ;D

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2362 on: February 22, 2021, 01:38:11 PM »

Nightcrawler is always worth another viewing!
WISE UP

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2363 on: February 22, 2021, 08:15:20 PM »
I watched "Now, Voyager" over the weekend. I had seen part of it a long time ago, but I have never really cared for Bette Davis, so really avoided most of her movies. Anyway, I watched the whole movie and really liked it. I loved the transformation of Charlotte and how she finally stood up to her mother. I did not like how the movie ended though. But I am a happy ending kind of person.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Gillian

• Through the mirror blue
  • Obsessed
  • Stay on these roads
« Reply #2364 on: February 23, 2021, 05:40:03 AM »
I watched Ocean's 8 this weekend, and figured that would be an entertaining time. Lots of famous women leads, story about royal bling, costumes and locations...

But no! It's seriously one of the most Trumpian films I've ever seen. I'm utterly surprised they didn't offer Ivanka a role - maybe they did...  All the leads in the film are grifters and crooks and several truly look like painted plastic. The story centers around the Met Gala, one of those big empty celebrity balls, where a jewelry heist goes down. The moral of the thing was that you should con and grift and thieve your way without qualms, and you will become rich and beautiful and feel empowered, with the ability to spend on wasteful luxury - you know, like gold toilets and the like. You should be proud of your thievery and there won't be negative consequences for your evil. Get that money, girl. 

I HATED it! The only thing that made it worth watching was Cate Blanchett, because she looked so, so hot.

I think it was supposed to be funny, exciting and sharp. It was just annoyance-inducing and empty.

[/rant]
Slava Ukraini

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2365 on: February 23, 2021, 09:28:31 AM »
^^^

I do agree with you. For some reason, a lot of these movies that are female centric, seem to believe that all the women are supposed to act like the men do in those same kinds of films. I've seen that. I personally don't want women acting like men do in most of those films.

By the way, what happened to subtlety. Even some charm or grace. Your take on this was spot on.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2366 on: February 23, 2021, 09:34:26 AM »
I watched "Now, Voyager" over the weekend. I had seen part of it a long time ago, but I have never really cared for Bette Davis, so really avoided most of her movies. Anyway, I watched the whole movie and really liked it. I loved the transformation of Charlotte and how she finally stood up to her mother. I did not like how the movie ended though. But I am a happy ending kind of person.

I love the last line of the movie, it seems optimistic enough...

"Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars."

...and then the gorgeous score by Max Steiner.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2367 on: February 23, 2021, 05:53:10 PM »
I watched Identity Thief yesterday. I couldn't remember if I'd ever watched it before. Anyway, I like Jason Bateman, so that's all I cared about.........it was mindless entertainment!  ;D :P :laugh:

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2368 on: February 24, 2021, 01:47:07 AM »

That's really a wonderful line.
WISE UP

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2369 on: February 24, 2021, 07:06:27 AM »
I love the last line of the movie, it seems optimistic enough...

...and then the gorgeous score by Max Steiner.

Yes, I was surprised I really liked the movie. I really dislike Bette Davis that much.  When people find this out they act like I should be tarred and feathered. But everyone has their favorites and and their dislikes and a few intense dislikes.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard