The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 427876 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2370 on: February 24, 2021, 07:47:21 AM »
Yes, I was surprised I really liked the movie. I really dislike Bette Davis that much.  When people find this out they act like I should be tarred and feathered. But everyone has their favorites and and their dislikes and a few intense dislikes.
I’ve never really taken to Bette Davis either.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2371 on: February 24, 2021, 12:06:54 PM »
Yes, I was surprised I really liked the movie. I really dislike Bette Davis that much.

I’ve never really taken to Bette Davis either.

I enjoyed talking to her on the phone once.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2372 on: February 24, 2021, 12:07:10 PM »
When people find this out they act like I should be tarred and feathered. But everyone has their favorites and and their dislikes and a few intense dislikes.

So true!

Do you find that if you don't like an actor, though, and they do a role where you're not supposed to like them, that you can enjoy them in that role?

Conversely, there's an actress I just never liked, and then I also found out from a guy who worked on Twister (Bill Young) she was also not nice (to put it mildly) and from a good friend (Ken) how despicable she was to some people (specifically, a handicapped child) in a restaurant...this person is Helen Hunt. So I was dubious about her when I saw As Good As It Gets, but I ended up liking that movie and her in it. I didn't even mind she won the Oscar for that. But I still don't like her.  (Confused: ???)

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2373 on: February 24, 2021, 12:59:56 PM »
So true!

Do you find that if you don't like an actor, though, and they do a role where you're not supposed to like them, that you can enjoy them in that role?

Conversely, there's an actress I just never liked, and then I also found out from a guy who worked on Twister (Bill Young) she was also not nice (to put it mildly) and from a good friend (Ken) how despicable she was to some people (specifically, a handicapped child) in a restaurant...this person is Helen Hunt. So I was dubious about her when I saw As Good As It Gets, but I ended up liking that movie and her in it. I didn't even mind she won the Oscar for that. But I still don't like her.  (Confused: ???)

I believe you mentioned that story about Helen Hunt before. I don't know her personally, so I have no idea what she is like.  I know that "TWISTER" (1996) was a difficult production.  If she was ignoring a child with disabilities at restaurant, that's not right.  Maybe she was busy or talking to friends when the child was trying to get her attention, I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:06:11 PM by B.W. »

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2374 on: February 24, 2021, 01:03:57 PM »
So true!

Yes, I can like an actor in a role but not care for them as a person.  Kirk Cameron was a good actor as a young adult when he starred in the first few seasons of "GROWING PAINS" (1985-1992), but he has turned into a total douche-nugget over the years, especially after becoming a fundamentalist evangelical Christian.  I heard that he tried to get one of his costars who played his romantic love interest on "GROWING PAINS" fired because the actress had appeared in an issue of "PLAYBOY" magazine.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2375 on: February 24, 2021, 01:05:46 PM »

Did you really get the chance to talk to Bette Davis over the phone?  That's cool.

Offline B.W.

• Obsessed
« Reply #2376 on: February 24, 2021, 01:08:29 PM »
I watched Identity Thief yesterday. I couldn't remember if I'd ever watched it before. Anyway, I like Jason Bateman, so that's all I cared about.........it was mindless entertainment!  ;D :P :laugh:

I liked Jason Bateman's vocal performance as Nicholas "Nick" Wilde in Disney's animated film "Zootopia" (2016).

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2377 on: February 24, 2021, 02:39:24 PM »

Love Zootopia!  I watched it again rather recently.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2378 on: February 24, 2021, 02:51:49 PM »

I believe you mentioned that story about Helen Hunt before. I don't know her personally, so I have no idea what she is like.  I know that "TWISTER" (1996) was a difficult production.  If she was ignoring a child with disabilities at restaurant, that's not right.  Maybe she was busy or talking to friends when the child was trying to get her attention, I don't know.

I didn't recognise her until I saw the credits of the TV series World at War in which she plays a heroic American radio journalist in Berlin during World War II. Her character is very kind to the little epileptic daughter of neighbours in her apartment house. Hilda loves her.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 02:06:13 PM by tfferg »

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2379 on: February 25, 2021, 02:28:08 AM »

We should have known that, Lyle! :D  Any details available?

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2380 on: February 25, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »
Just for fun, I watched Back to the Future last night! A great film, IMHO, you understand?  ;)

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2381 on: February 25, 2021, 09:19:49 AM »
^^^ Y, truly a "fun classic" film that many can quote... well made!

Online ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2382 on: February 25, 2021, 10:03:30 AM »
Just for fun, I watched Back to the Future last night! A great film, IMHO, you understand?  ;)

That's a movie I never cared about. Just not my kind of film.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2383 on: February 25, 2021, 10:47:02 AM »

I like time travel movies and this trilogy is very entertaining!

Before things shut down last year, a stage musical of this had premiered in Britain.
Manchester to be exact. A review of it from there:
https://www.mancunianmatters.co.uk/entertainment/12032020-review-bttf-manchester/

I saw a bootleg recording of it a friend obtained somehow. The recording was quite
bad, shaky, terrible sound and the like. The musical version was unnecessary, but
still quite entertaining with a few good numbers in it. My favorite song was titled
"There's Something About That Boy."   ;)

The official website of the musical says it's going to reopen this summer in London
at the Adelphi Theatre.
https://www.backtothefuturemusical.com

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2384 on: February 25, 2021, 10:49:01 AM »
That's a movie I never cared about. Just not my kind of film.

Oh no, Ingy, I'm not sure we like the same kind of films! Back to the Future, La La Land.  :)
I had recommended Green Book recently and you had mentioned you were going to order it
or see it. If you did, what did you think of it?