The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428152 times)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2415 on: March 01, 2021, 09:57:22 AM »

And it is one of the best novels I've ever read, gay topic or not.

WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
« Reply #2416 on: March 01, 2021, 10:49:09 AM »
Which? Single Man or Brideshead?

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2417 on: March 01, 2021, 11:31:16 AM »

ASM
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2418 on: March 01, 2021, 02:15:44 PM »
^^^ Ditto on a ASM.  I saw ASM several times in the "when I was younger, good ole days" of "sit in theater"..  "Quiet and sad" is bulls-eye.  I've not seen Brideshead Revisited. 

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2419 on: March 01, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »

WISE UP

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2420 on: March 01, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »
Tom Ford also directed A single man. Which is a great quiet and sad movie.
I liked A Single Man too, but never realized it was a Tom Ford film. I will say it was a bit on the Sad Side though, but excellent!  ;)

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2421 on: March 02, 2021, 04:23:46 PM »

:) :) :)
WISE UP

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2422 on: March 02, 2021, 06:53:55 PM »
I liked A Single Man too, but never realized it was a Tom Ford film. I will say it was a bit on the Sad Side though, but excellent!  ;)

It was Tom Ford's directoral debut.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2423 on: March 03, 2021, 04:25:15 PM »
The title of the 2017 feature film Una mujer fantastica (A Fantastic Woman) led me to expect something over-the-top and glitzy. It turned out to be an excellent film about a transgender woman in Santiago, Chile, played by transgender woman Daniela Vega. It was directed by Sebastian Lelio.

Young Marina Vidal waits on diners at a restaurant and sings in a nightclub. After celebrating her birthday, her much older lover. Orlando, suffers an unsuspected aneurysm. Marina rushes him to the hospital where he dies in spite of the efforts to save him. The quiet, respectful Marina, in shock, is subjected to dreadful prejudice, ignorance, malice and discrimination by Orlando's grading divorced wife and adult son and the police, though Orlando's brother Gabo tries to be supportive.

Marina is a usually quietly determined and daring person of very strong character and despite our fears for her, the final scenes are very, very positive ending with a beautiful concert performance of one of the great classics sung by Daniela Vega herself as Marina.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 11:26:41 PM by tfferg »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2424 on: March 03, 2021, 08:27:54 PM »
I finally saw Argo on HBO tonight. I loved Alan Arkin.  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2425 on: March 08, 2021, 02:41:44 PM »
--Nomadland

I saw this movie this weekend. I like the poster for this film. It pieces together parts of different states license plates to spell out the title.

That's all I liked about it.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2426 on: March 08, 2021, 04:51:25 PM »

(And that's not a lot.)

I had high hopes for this movie.

Is it really that bad?
WISE UP

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2427 on: March 08, 2021, 08:53:52 PM »
Critics and award groups are falling all over themselves about it. I don't know why. I didn't hate it, in the sense that there are some movies that actively rile you up in that way when you watch them, I was just perplexed at what people are reveling in. It might be it's hybrid form, it's part fiction and part documentary, but it's not a docudrama...and I think the fiction and the documentary work against each other. It seems like they think the documentary part of it overrides the lack of any real character development in the fiction side of it.

Another thing that really bugs me is many people remarking about the film's beautiful scenery. It even won the Critics Choice Award last night for cinematography. It's true what is being photographed is beautiful, but it's not beautifully photographed. Take a look at another road movie like Easy Rider. Compare the cinematography.  This film is akin to The Grapes of Wrath in many respects, but without an audience's connection to the characters and their plight. Nomadland has an air of false importance that seems more like a con. You often feel a heartwarming sense during the film that beneath the surface is utter nonsense. I heard someone say that it's the nicest movie about homelessness, financial despair and human frailty you'll ever see. To me I'd describe the film as the equivalent of someone asking "How are you today?" and you reply with an upbeat "I'm good," because both of you really don't want to discuss the truth of the matter.

Interestingly, I read an article this afternoon about someone's look back at the movie Platoon and how it isn't holding up well. He remarks about the reasons people voted it best film awards at the time and how those reasons have abated since. Maybe people watching this movie now, when we've all been quarantined for a year, are feeling a compassion to the people in the movie, realizing what their own lives have been like lately and feeling some connection in that way. This movie reminds me of a movie critics often champion throughout the year, but is relegated to arthouses for the most part and a general public ignores. Not for everyone. People keep wondering why the award shows so far have been ratings disasters and they keep blaming it on the "zoom" factor and technical problems and the like. It's because all these niche movies being nominated right now are "not for everyone." A general audience used to love many of the movies that win best film awards. Of late groups have been more into diversity voting, and perhaps movie making, than making films a large amount of people would embrace. This year movies seem to either be on the Superhero end of the spectrum or niche movies for certain tastes. And neither are meant for Best Picture awards. When people want to see movies, they want entertainment. The movies this year, with an exception or two, are not that entertaining.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2428 on: March 09, 2021, 01:25:48 AM »

Thanks for the explanation, the comparisons and the thoughts, Lyle.

WISE UP

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2429 on: March 09, 2021, 01:27:59 AM »
It's because all these niche movies being nominated right now are "not for everyone." A general audience used to love many of the movies that win best film awards.

I agree.
I can see the change in parameters.
WISE UP