The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 428114 times)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2715 on: June 06, 2021, 09:50:10 PM »
The late movie I saw last night was Julieta, a 2016 an interesting drama directed by Pedro Almodovar. It was adapted from three short stories by Alice Munro. Julieta and her daughter Antia suffer loss and abandonment made very much worse by the fact that even when they are together they don't really communicate their deeper thoughts and feelings or share their grief.

The film was originally titled Silence, the title of one of the short stories, but the director changed it to avoid confusion with different American film called Silence released in the same year. Although the stories are set in America, the Spanish language film is set in Madrid, Galicia and the Pyrenees.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 06:08:41 AM by tfferg »

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2716 on: June 07, 2021, 03:06:36 AM »

We loved Julieta.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline ingmarnicebbmt

• THE MAKER MAKES
  • Obsessed
  • FOR HEAVEN's JAKE ! Jakeing off at Jakea.
« Reply #2717 on: June 07, 2021, 03:07:15 AM »

The Japanese movie sounds very intriguing, Tony. I'll make a note, I'd like to see it.
WISE UP

IngKräddiBöll & Ingmariposa & Ingelspringel & Ingicito & Ingalicious & IngWriter & Annbilivöbäll WORD WIZARD

sausage-on-a-roll-poster & charkuterimästare

And maybe, he thought, they'd never got much farther than that.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2718 on: June 08, 2021, 07:01:08 AM »
Last night AMC ran Tombstone. Great movie! I love it--never miss it if I can help it.

Sheesh, what a cast!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108358/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_cl_sm

Kurt Russell, Sam Elliott, Val Kilmer, Bill Paxton. Powers Boothe, Michael Biehn, Charlton Heston, Billy Bob Thornton, John Corbett, Jason Priestley, Billy Zane. Robert Mitchum (narrator), Chris Mitchum, Terry O'Quinn, Frank Stallone, even "old-timers" like Buck Taylor and Harry Carrey, Jr.  ...  .The list just goes on and on and on. ...

Of course, I'm always intrigued by one small plot point: Jason Priestley's reaction when he sees Billy Zane on stage (I think he says something like, "The most beautiful man I've ever seen"--I'm not sure of the exact quote), and then, when Zane has been killed, Priestley briefly touches his hand. Are we supposed to take that as some sort of homosexual crush on Priestley's part, or am I just seeing what I want to see? I won't argue either way--it just intrigues me.

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #2719 on: June 08, 2021, 07:56:55 PM »
Just watched "Moon" (2009) and while the special effects were certainly on a "shoe string budget", the story held my attention.  It's not super fake-like sci-fi by any means. You eventually, "figure it out."  The film has 90%/89% on Rotten with 100K+ votes!  Sam Rockwell stars in the film.   I missed it when it was released in 2009 just due to too many balls in the air.

It's not for everyone. Check out the synopsis before you dive.   YMMV.

-> https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/moon

-> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/

An actual Roger Ebert review -> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/moon-2009

Ebert's review, ""Moon" is a superior example of that threatened genre, hard science-fiction, which is often about the interface between humans and alien intelligence of one kind of or other, including digital. John W. Campbell Jr., the godmother of this genre, would have approved. The movie is really all about ideas. It only seems to be about emotions. How real are our emotions, anyway? How real are we? Someday I will die. This laptop I'm using is patient and can wait."

Stay safe, stay alive.  Peace.  Later. V.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2720 on: June 09, 2021, 12:04:57 PM »
^^^

I haven't seen it, but I recall at the time it's when Sam Rockwell was first getting some award nomination buzz.

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2721 on: June 12, 2021, 08:49:46 PM »
I found The Lost City of Z, a true-life 2016 feature directed by James Gray interesting. It is based on the book by David Grann on the British explorer Percy Fawcett (Charlie Hunnam), an army officer who was commissioned in 1906 to make a survey to try to map the border between Bolivia and Brazil in order to prevent a war over rubber.

His Indigenous guide, a slave Tadjiu (Pedro Coello) in the film tells him about a big ancient city of gold hidden in the jungle. He only believes Tadjiu when he stumbles on sophisticated pottery shards and statuettes. Tadjiu runs away once the expedition has reached the goal of the source of the Rio Verde. Fawcett had to turn back and was unable to find the city. He made a number of further expeditions to the Mato Grosso, Brazil and encountered First Nations peoples defending their land. He and his son disappeared during another attempt in 1926 when they disappeared without trace.

The jungle scenes were filmed in Colombia.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2722 on: June 13, 2021, 01:08:20 PM »
I found The Lost City of Z, a true-life 2016 feature directed by James Gray interesting. It is based on the book by David Grann on the British explorer Percy Fawcett (Charlie Hunnam), an army officer who was commissioned in 1906 to make a survey to try to map the border between Bolivia and Brazil in order to prevent a war over rubber.

I would love to see that film some day. Before Grann's book was published The New Yorker published an article by him that was clearly based on what became the book.

(That seems to happen frequently. An article will appear in The New Yorker, and usually not too longer after a book on the same subject by the same author will appear.)

Offline tfferg

• Obsessed
« Reply #2723 on: June 13, 2021, 03:49:09 PM »
I would love to see that film some day. Before Grann's book was published The New Yorker published an article by him that was clearly based on what became the book.

(That seems to happen frequently. An article will appear in The New Yorker, and usually not too longer after a book on the same subject by the same author will appear.)

I see the film didn't do well at the box office.

I'm dizzy enough to have enjoyed the eye candy among the extras in the scenes filmed in Colombia.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2724 on: June 13, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
Sounds like another good reason to see it. :D

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2725 on: June 14, 2021, 07:17:32 AM »
Ned Beatty was not known as a leading man, but he made a career from supporting roles in some of Hollywood’s most enduring films, including “All the President’s Men,” “Rudy” and “Network.” Beatty died at 83.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2726 on: June 14, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
Ned Beatty was not known as a leading man, but he made a career from supporting roles in some of Hollywood’s most enduring films, including “All the President’s Men,” “Rudy” and “Network.” Beatty died at 83.

And don't forget Superman.   ;D  They ran an old interview with him on the Today show this morning, He said he was perfectly happy playing supporting roles.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2727 on: June 14, 2021, 01:14:43 PM »

--The Sky's the Limit

A Fred Astaire movie I'd never seen, released in 1943. He plays a Flying Tiger (he does?) also named "Fred". He's on his squadron's personal appearance tour selling war bonds or something and decides to take a leave (?) because he falls for a photographer (Joan Leslie) and starts pursuing her (as though he's a drifter, not a pilot). THere's some well-known songs in it and excellent dancing. The plot is a bit annoying because it's just so far fetched. Everything else is quite good except that it's all on one level and even excellence can get boring if it's all on one level!  Supposedly there's a glimpse of Peter Lawford as a soldier on Fred's train in the beginning, but we didn't notice it. Also in the cast is Robert Benchley, Robert Ryan and Elizabeth Patterson, who gained fame as Lucy's upstairs neighbor in I Love Lucy.

Interesting in the movie is that Joan Leslie sings one song in her own voice, but in another song her voice is dubbed. When my friend and I were watching this, Joan Leslie has a line to Fred right at the end before she hugs him that we couldn't make out so we listened to it again. It wasn't really clear to us. When I just looked the title up on IMDB to make sure I had a piece of info correct, I happened to see this item: Joan Leslie's mouthed words at the fadeout were intended to be indecipherable.

Mission accomplished!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2728 on: June 14, 2021, 01:20:40 PM »

--The Conjuring 3: The Devil Made Me Do It

Although these kinds of films aren't something I normally gravitate to, I did enjoy the first two and the lead actors I also like: Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson.

The biggest problem with this one is that in the beginning they build up the movie with written paragraphs telling us these paranormal experts have never encountered anything like the evilness they encounter this time. Well, maybe they haven't but audiences have seen worse things in other horror films, so I felt like I was waiting for something I never got. Also, I have a hard time believing that the things that happen in these films are based on real life characters who have experienced these things, even though at the end of the movie they show the people they're based on. If these things happened like this you'd think it would be on the news or whatever. Or something.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2729 on: June 14, 2021, 01:32:56 PM »
--In the Heights

Movie version of the Broadway musical. For the most part I thought the film was decent. The characters are appealing and I was entertained enough, though after awhile the music (songs) seemed all the same to me, so it's not a film I'd probably want to watch again.

The dance direction, a g a i n , doesn't let you watch the dancers much. Isn't that the point of having dancers dance? That we can see what they're doing and not always being cut away from them? You don't see completed dance moves and you can't even look at a face to SEE a dancer. I've had this complaint for so long that I know you've heard it before, but if they keep directing and editing dance sequences like they're put in a blender, I will keep complaining about it. There's a reason that Fosse became famous for choreographing dance in movies. People SAW what he was doing. Who knows any of the choreographers of the past 20-30 years that have done movies?

KIND OF A SPOILER, NOT PLOT THOUGH, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW: There was one scene where two lead characters have a gravity defying dance on the side of a building and that was directed very nicely. Except...they had the sun setting in the background and it was shining into the camera and was so annoying, I thought who would intentionally do this and why? It was like trying to watch something outside in direct sunlight and you'd have to keep shading your face. For a second when it started I thought it would go away and when it didn't I actually said out loud "okay this is getting annoying." It ruined, or at least lessened, the entire number, I thought, which was one of the best in the film, too. WTF?

And because I thought the music started sounding all the same it made the movie start seeming like it was way too long. It's about 2 hrs. 25 minutes if i recall.