The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 201111 times)

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #2940 on: October 11, 2021, 03:59:21 PM »
I thought the clue for #3 was the worst. Bandages? It could as easily have been for The Invisible Man!

I didn't get the answer for #23 until I saw there was a number there for that, otherwise...

I'm surprised that I saw so many of these films! 28 of them. Like Linda said, I'm not an aficionado, but I do like a good one on occasion.

I particularly liked the red door knob clue, even though I don't remember what that was in the film.

I originally said I got 23 answers, but a couple were wrong, so I got 21.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2941 on: October 11, 2021, 04:10:56 PM »
I skipped 3, 8, 10, 11, 19, 29, 32.

My own error on not getting 19 (Blair Witch).  Before I made my list, I recognized the figure hanging from the tree, but when I made the list, I forgot!  I took the 19 as the tree itself.

For 14 I listed "some zombie movie".  LOL  After I read the answer, I recognized the pose from the movie poster.   I guessed wrong for "Alien", and listed it as "Little Shop of Horrors", I thought it was the plant as it was budding.   LOL    I listed "Wicker Man" as "Burning Man".   "Wolf Creek" I listed as "The Howling".   I listed "The Lost Boys" as "Frogs"  :laugh:  for those who don't remember, it was one of those bad 1970s ecological movies.  And finally I listed "Child's Play" as "Chucky", but since the doll is Chucky in those movies, I'm counting that one as correct!   

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2942 on: October 11, 2021, 05:28:26 PM »
I just watched The Sixth Sense. One of fav films on your list. But, truly I'm not really into Halloween Horror films.   :-\

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2943 on: October 11, 2021, 11:24:19 PM »
^^^

What was the thing with the red door knob?
______

And you did really good Chuck!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2944 on: October 12, 2021, 04:29:25 PM »
Lyle, Red is the symbolic color in this film, it's not just the doorknob. It signifies the connection between this world, and the next. There are red balloons, the girl's Mother is wearing red at the wake, and other places in the film as well. The only odd scene (to me) is when Willis's wife goes down to the basement to select a Wine, and suddenly a cold chill fills the air, so maybe there was a presence in that space? Willis is still alive at the point. That's the message anyway. So, if you ever watch the film again, look for all those Red colors in different scenes. I hope this helps!  ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2945 on: October 12, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »
I was able to obtain a DVD of an old Western I'd seen on TV once decades ago. It's called The Command (1954) and starred handsome Guy Madison as an army doctor who has to assume command of a company of cavalry.

A great movie? Of course not. It's an entertaining popcorn movie with a leading man with 1950s matinee idol good looks.

It's also an early Warner Bros. Cinemascope movie.

There were some interesting people in the supporting cast. One was James Whitmore, a favorite of mine. I remember seeing his one-man shows about Will Rogers and Harry Truman on PBS--one of these days I'll get around to looking for DVDs of them.

Another was an actor names Ray Teal. He had a long career, and it almost seems like he made a career playing sheriffs. Anybody who ever saw an episode of Bonanza would recognize him as the sheriff of Virginia City.

Also in the cast (uncredited) was John Beradino, who much later had a long career in the soap opera General Hospital.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2946 on: October 13, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »
A great movie? Of course not. It's an entertaining popcorn movie with a leading man with 1950s matinee idol good looks.

That sounds like a great movie to me! Anything with Guy Madison is worth a look. And in color no less! I'd say at least half of his movies were westerns. (Which is something he himself was into.) I'm not a huge fan of most westerns unless they're really good. He had a TV series throughout the 50's (1951-1958) playing Wild Bill Hickok. I have never seen it played anywhere so I don't know if it was any good or not.

Have you mentioned seeing the first season Wagon Train episode "The Riley Gratton Story?" He guest starred in that.

All of his movies after the early 60's are pretty forgettable, even if known! But he was in quite a lot of them. IMDB says his last movie was a TV movie remake of Red River in 1988. I don't recall anything about that. It had a pretty decent cast, though. Besides Madison, there was Bruce Boxleitner, James Arness, Gregory Harrison, Ty Hardin, Ray Walston and Robert Horton.

There were some interesting people in the supporting cast. One was James Whitmore, a favorite of mine. I remember seeing his one-man shows about Will Rogers and Harry Truman on PBS--one of these days I'll get around to looking for DVDs of them.[/i][/size]

I don't remember Whitmore playing Will Rogers, but apparently he toured a stage show doing Will Rogers for 30 years! And his Give 'em Hell Harry film version (starring only him) earned him a Best Actor nomination. In the first couple years I was in L.A. the Cinerama Dome, a famous movie theatre in Hollywood, showed his film that was patterned after his success with Give 'em Hell Harry and he played Theodore Roosevelt. It was called Bully! When I saw it I was the ONLY one in the theatre! I have heard nothing about it since.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2947 on: October 14, 2021, 07:06:20 AM »
That sounds like a great movie to me! Anything with Guy Madison is worth a look. And in color no less! I'd say at least half of his movies were westerns. (Which is something he himself was into.) I'm not a huge fan of most westerns unless they're really good. He had a TV series throughout the 50's (1951-1958) playing Wild Bill Hickok. I have never seen it played anywhere so I don't know if it was any good or not.

I'm glad to hear you say that! Makes me feel a little less self-conscious about being into now-dead actors who were hotties 60 years ago!   ;D

As for the Hickok series, 40 years ago or so, the Turner channel ran old Westerns on Sunday afternoons. I know they showed the Hickok series, but I don't remember seeing any episodes of it. (That's when I saw some early episodes of Wagon Train and got into Robert Horton.)

The next Madison movie up, maybe this weekend, will be Massacre River (1949), which starred Madison and his fishin' buddy and next-door neighbor Rory Calhoun.* (I understand there were rumors about those two; I'd like to know more about that.)

Have you mentioned seeing the first season Wagon Train episode "The Riley Gratton Story?" He guest starred in that.

I know about the episode but, oddly enough, I don't think I've watched it--which is really stupid because I have seasons 1--5 on DVD. Need to watch that this weekend, too.

All of his movies after the early 60's are pretty forgettable, even if known! But he was in quite a lot of them. IMDB says his last movie was a TV movie remake of Red River in 1988. I don't recall anything about that. It had a pretty decent cast, though. Besides Madison, there was Bruce Boxleitner,** James Arness, Gregory Harrison, Ty Hardin, Ray Walston and Robert Horton.

I've never seen that. It does sound like a decent cast (who knew Ty Hardin was still around then?).

I don't remember Whitmore playing Will Rogers, but apparently he toured a stage show doing Will Rogers for 30 years! And his Give 'em Hell Harry film version (starring only him) earned him a Best Actor nomination. In the first couple years I was in L.A. the Cinerama Dome, a famous movie theatre in Hollywood, showed his film that was patterned after his success with Give 'em Hell Harry and he played Theodore Roosevelt. It was called Bully! When I saw it I was the ONLY one in the theatre! I have heard nothing about it since.

I wish I'd seen the Teddy Roosevelt show. I really liked the Will Rogers show and Give 'em Hell, Harry.

* I can't think if I've ever actually seen a Calhoun movie, but I have seen him in How to Marry a Millionaire (lucky Betty Grable).

** I wonder if Scarecrow and Mrs. King ever got released on home video? I liked that show. It was one of the few I predicted would be a success. He and Kate Jackson (whom I love) worked well together.

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2948 on: October 14, 2021, 12:15:59 PM »
The next Madison movie up, maybe this weekend, will be Massacre River (1949), which starred Madison and his fishin' buddy and next-door neighbor Rory Calhoun.* (I understand there were rumors about those two; I'd like to know more about that.)

Read the very fascinating book The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson by Robert Hofler. It's about their agent Henry Willson and his many male clients, Calhoun and Madison included.

* I can't think if I've ever actually seen a Calhoun movie, but I have seen him in How to Marry a Millionaire (lucky Betty Grable).

You must have seen his Gilligan's Island episode!

He was also in supporting roles in his two best known movies, besides Millionaire: With a Song in My Heart (a Susan Hayward starrer) and River of No Return (Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum).

** I wonder if Scarecrow and Mrs. King ever got released on home video? I liked that show. It was one of the few I predicted would be a success. He and Kate Jackson (whom I love) worked well together.

All 4 seasons of the show have been released on DVD. Amazon shows the first three seasons available, but Season 4 looks like it might be problematic. Although all 4 seasons are apparently also available for streaming on Amazon Prime.

I think of Bruce Boxleitner as an "80's" actor, mostly because that's when I saw him the most, but his IMDB page shows he's been working in various things in the following decades right up to the present, 129 credits!, I just don't watch those things. Also, he did a lot of famous episodes of TV series through the 1970's. Shows like  Police Woman, Gunsmoke, Baretta, a few Hawaii Five-O's, the TV series How the West Was Won and a mini-series that I really liked and wish was available, The Last Convertible. His very FIRST credit was an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2949 on: October 14, 2021, 06:53:49 PM »
Read the very fascinating book The Man Who Invented Rock Hudson by Robert Hofler. It's about their agent Henry Willson and his many male clients, Calhoun and Madison included.

Thanks. I'll have to check that out.

You must have seen his Gilligan's Island episode!

I don't remember it.

He was also in supporting roles in his two best known movies, besides Millionaire: With a Song in My Heart (a Susan Hayward starrer) and River of No Return (Marilyn Monroe and Robert Mitchum).

I've wanted to see River of No Return.

All 4 seasons of the show have been released on DVD. Amazon shows the first three seasons available, but Season 4 looks like it might be problematic. Although all 4 seasons are apparently also available for streaming on Amazon Prime.

I think of Bruce Boxleitner as an "80's" actor, mostly because that's when I saw him the most, but his IMDB page shows he's been working in various things in the following decades right up to the present, 129 credits!, I just don't watch those things. Also, he did a lot of famous episodes of TV series through the 1970's. Shows like  Police Woman, Gunsmoke, Baretta, a few Hawaii Five-O's, the TV series How the West Was Won and a mini-series that I really liked and wish was available, The Last Convertible. His very FIRST credit was an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show!

Be nice to see some of Scarecrow and Mrs. King. I associate Bruce Boxleitner with the 80s, too.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 11:38:09 AM by Jeff Wrangler »

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2950 on: October 15, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »

I know we've (I've) veered off into talking about tv-related things, but I have to say in the 1982-83 TV season, after the huge success of Raiders of the Lost Ark, there were two new series that were in that vein and networks gave a try.

One was called Bring 'Em Back Alive and starred Bruce Boxleitner as Frank Buck, a real life big game hunter who had been in some 1930's movies himself and was a real adventurer. I don't recall the series that well. It got low ratings because it was up against The A-Team and Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley. I only recall seeing one episode myself, I probably stayed with the sitcoms. It had 17 episodes and it got canceled.

The other show was on Saturday nights and was called Tales of the Gold Monkey. (Wikipedia says that it was inspired by the film Only Angels Have Wings, but I never heard that until I read it today.) This show I did watch every week.

I always wanted it to be better than it was, but it had a nice cast and offered up some "south seas" adventure. It starred Stephen Collins who got in a lot of trouble in 2014 (I thought it was even longer ago than that) due to some sexual misconduct purportedly with a teenager. He hasn't worked since. He was, however, nicely cast in this role. His sidekick was in a lot of TV series around that time and a nice addition, a younger character actor named Jeff MacKay. (He was also in the Black Sheep Squadron, aka Baa Baa Black Sheep.) Roddy McDowall was also in it as the proprietor of a small South Seas island hotel. This one had a full season of episodes.

The show was well received, and it won an Emmy for its art direction/set decoration, but ABC thought the ratings weren't high enough to warrant the cost of the production and it got canceled. In 2010 Shout Factory released this on DVD. Since I hadn't seen it at the time in over 25 years I got it and rewatched it. It's still entertaining, but still one wishes it was better. Also, it is still available despite the problematic background of it's lead actor.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2951 on: October 15, 2021, 11:55:38 AM »
One was called Bring 'Em Back Alive and starred Bruce Boxleitner as Frank Buck, a real life big game hunter who had been in some 1930's movies himself and was a real adventurer. I don't recall the series that well. It got low ratings because it was up against The A-Team and Happy Days/Laverne & Shirley. I only recall seeing one episode myself, I probably stayed with the sitcoms. It had 17 episodes and it got canceled.

The other show was on Saturday nights and was called Tales of the Gold Monkey. (Wikipedia says that it was inspired by the film Only Angels Have Wings, but I never heard that until I read it today.) This show I did watch every week.

I remember both those shows. I vaguely remember seeing at least some episodes of both of them. I thought it was too bad about Stephen Collins, though he brought it on himself. (James Stacy got himself in the same sort of trouble. He did jail time.)

His sidekick was in a lot of TV series around that time and a nice addition, a younger character actor named Jeff MacKay. (He was also in the Black Sheep Squadron, aka Baa Baa Black Sheep.) Roddy McDowall was also in it as the proprietor of a small South Seas island hotel. This one had a full season of episodes.

MacKay had a repeating role in Magnum, P.I. I remember him best from JAG, where he had a regular role as a supporting character. Nice guy, good in the types of roles he had, He died in '08. (JAG. ... Hmm. ... David James Elliott. ...)

My dad liked Baa Baa Black Sheep. I never watched it. I didn't dislike it. I just never watched.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2952 on: October 16, 2021, 02:28:53 PM »
That sounds like a great movie to me! Anything with Guy Madison is worth a look.

I've been discussing Guy Madison and his movies with another correspondent, and one that came up is called The Charge at Feather River. I looked it up and discovered that Madison's character is named Miles Archer--the name of Humphrey Bogart's murdered partner in The Maltese Falcon.

That reminded me of another "Hollywood inside joke." There was an episode of C.S.I, that involved two murdered newspaper types--probably an editor and a reporter, I don't remember. The characters were called Walter Johnson and Hildy Burns. Of course, the characters played by Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell in His Girl Friday were named Walter Burns and Hildy Johnson. I caught that one right away.  :D

Then I remembered that in my favorite episode of Remington Steele, the chief criminal was named Caspar Guttman--Sidney Greenstreet's character in The Maltese Falcon.  Then it hit me that the dingus in the episode was a valuable painting called "The Five Nudes of Cairo"--Joel Cairo was Peter Lorre's character in The Maltese Falcon.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2953 on: Yesterday at 08:06:04 AM »
Last night I watched Massacre River (1949) for Guy Madison and Rory Calhoun together in one movie. Considering the title and what I had seen before I watched it, the movie was not what I was expecting, and I didn't much care for it. However, as Lyle said, any movie with Guy Madison is worth checking out. I might watch it again some day, just for him. Truthfully, as I was watching it, I kept saying to myself--actually out loud!--that he was gorgeous. He was 27 when the movie was released.

A friend gave me a good review of Till the End of Time (1946). That will be worth checking out, too. It appears there is a scene of him in bed, shirtless, complete with chest hair.

My favorite is still The Command (1954).

Lyle, ever heard of Pumpkin Center, CA, Madison's birthplace?  :D

Online Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2954 on: Yesterday at 11:27:33 AM »
No, I have not heard of Pumpkin Center! ?

A friend gave me a good review of Till the End of Time (1946). That will be worth checking out, too.

I have this film, and I agree it's worth checking out. It's a similar story to The Best Years of Our Lives which came out six months after this one did. Three servicemen return home from the war and their troubles adjusting. In this one the three returnees stories are intertwined, whereas in The Best Years of Our Lives they're mostly separated. In 'Lives" the three returnees are also different branches of the service, Army, Air Force and Navy. In 'Time' they all are marines.

I happen to like this one better. Maybe it's because of Madison; maybe it's because it's set in Los Angeles, I don't know. Maybe because it's over an hour shorter than 'Lives' is. I just find the story and relationships more affecting. It also stars Robert Mitchum, Bill Williams and Dorothy McGuire. It's also directed by Edward Dmytryk, in somewhat of a departure in the type of film he usually directed, although a lot of them were social conscience stories. The following year his film Crossfire, another favorite of mine, was released and received several Oscar nominations, including him for director and Picture.

This is a still from the film:

No, he's not asking the guy for a date, he's in a bit of trouble at work. I chose this photo
because the other "guy" is Blake Edwards! Not only that, but Blake Edwards also has an
uncredited role in The Best Years of Our Lives.