The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.  (Read 278551 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: What Movie Did You Watch This Weekend? The Third.
« Reply #3315 on: July 25, 2022, 02:21:13 PM »
Paul Sorvino, Prolific Goodfellas Actor and Tony Nominee, Dead at 83

Our hearts are broken," Dee Dee Sorvino the wife of actor Paul Sorvino, who died on Monday at age 83 says in a release.

Happy birthday, Paul Sorvino!

The actor celebrated his 83rd birthday on Wednesday, and the occasion was marked on social media by his daughter, Mira.

"A very Happy Birthday to my father Paul Sorvino," Mira, 54, wrote on Twitter alongside a black and white throwback image of herself and her father.

https://people.com/movies/paul-sorvino-dead-at-83-goodfellas-actor-tony-nominee-father-of-mira-sorvino/
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3316 on: August 05, 2022, 06:01:42 PM »
I went to the THEATER to view Elvis...........IMHO, I think the actor who protrayed Elvis was fantastic.......Tom Hanks as Col Parker.....could have done WITHOUT him, or that character in the film......very distracting....... ;D........I felt like the film was all about Col Parker, and not Elvis.... :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3317 on: August 06, 2022, 10:53:17 AM »
Well, that was the idea, I believe, Jonn!

Offline gattaca

• Obsessed
  • How do you hide when you are running from yourself
« Reply #3318 on: August 06, 2022, 02:18:15 PM »
^^^ Thanks for the comments.   

This review on Ebert's site certainly struck nerves with 110+ comments and counting!  Wow!  -> https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/elvis-movie-review-2022

Controversial, "The King" lingers in "boomers'" minds far too clearly. With that, the execution of any film on Elvis must be perfect - myth or not.

Elvis's later years and performances were not always "the holy grail" of concert experiences.  Baz Luhrmann is not one of my favorite directors so strike 2 for me.  Maybe I'll catch this streaming - though I would love to see something OIT.

OIT -> https://www.rogerebert.com/chazs-blog/five-movies-to-see-only-in-theaters

I've seen "Top Gun: Maverick" and plan to see:  Till, Black Pather, Nope, Crawdads, and Cohen though.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3319 on: August 07, 2022, 11:45:28 AM »
^^^
I saw Top Gun when it came out once. I've never had any desire to see it again and I keep wondering...so why would I care to see a sequel 36 years later? Of that list of 5 films to see OIT?  None of those spark my interest to see OIT or even SAA*.
___

My knowledge of Elvis was very minimal growing up. What became most of my knowledge is when comedians and sketches kept making light of him in the later years...being overweight and the strange connection with Nixon, of which a movie was made that's quite entertaining: Elvis and Nixon (2016), followed by the incessant and, to me, annoying array of Elvis impersonators. There's also been a huge amount of movies about Elvis or featuring scenes with an Elvis portrayal of one sort or another--including a Best Picture Oscar winner. Anyone care to guess what that film is?

I have no problem with watching an "Elvis" movie and rather enjoy most of them. But I cringe at all the sideshow aspects that continually surface.
___

*See At All

(Seattle?)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 11:57:05 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3320 on: August 07, 2022, 03:07:26 PM »

--The Perfect Game

Because it seemed apropos, due to some recent posts, I wrote about this on the sports thread.
Link: HERE!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3321 on: August 12, 2022, 06:46:10 AM »
Watched Belfast last night on HBO. Didn't much care for it. Thought it was neat that it was filmed in B&W, but it seemed a little too "arty" for me.

It just didn't engage me. It was kind of like a "duty" movie: Oh, this is an important movie. I should watch it. (Besides, there was no Phillies game last night.  :laugh:  )

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3322 on: August 12, 2022, 10:24:07 AM »

:(  That's disappointing to hear, Jeff, that was my favorite Best Picture nominee last year and I don't know anyone that didn't like it; now I do!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3323 on: August 12, 2022, 12:13:12 PM »
:(  That's disappointing to hear, Jeff, that was my favorite Best Picture nominee last year and I don't know anyone that didn't like it; now I do!

Maybe if I watch it again some time I might pick up on more things, but that's unlikely because it just didn't "grab" me. I'm afraid the best thing about it for me was Jamie Dornan.  :laugh:

Of course Judi Dench is always wonderful. I didn't recognize Caitriona Balfe because in every still photo I've ever seen of her connected to Outlander (which I've never seen), she's struck me as rather plain, but I found her quite pretty in Belfast.

Even though I thought it was neat that it was filmed in B&W, it wonders me now if that might be one reason why it struck me as too "arty" for my taste, like it called too much attention to the fact that it was filmed in B&W.