The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 146715 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #2280 on: June 02, 2021, 11:59:20 AM »
I know that I am probably the only person interested in watching this, but the NCAA Women's Softball World Series starts tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hopefully someone beating Alabama. The only team I'm really rooting for is UCLA and maybe Arizona.

Teams playing are Alabama, Arizona, Florida State, Georgia, James Madison, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and UCLA.

I'm afraid Alabama is going to sweep.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2281 on: June 02, 2021, 05:07:17 PM »

After their MLB Pride Night game on June 5th, San Francisco's MLB Pride Celebration this year includes something new:

The first ever Pride Movie Night at Oracle Park
A week later, on Friday night July 11th while the Giants are in Washington D.C., Oracle Park will be hosting a Warner Bros. screening of IN THE HEIGHTS, the same day it opens across the U.S. in theaters. On Saturday night, 20th Century Fox is having an advance screening of EVERYBODY'S TALKING ABOUT JAMIE, which won't appear in theaters until September 17th this year.

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2282 on: June 02, 2021, 05:35:18 PM »
I know that I am probably the only person interested in watching this, but the NCAA Women's Softball World Series starts tomorrow. I'm looking forward to hopefully someone beating Alabama. The only team I'm really rooting for is UCLA and maybe Arizona.

Teams playing are Alabama, Arizona, Florida State, Georgia, James Madison, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and UCLA.

I'm afraid Alabama is going to sweep.

Darn.

I'm afraid I lost interest after Notre Dame dropped out.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2283 on: June 02, 2021, 05:43:38 PM »

OUTSPORTS, the online sports website devoted to LGBT news and such, when writing about S.F.'s gay themed colors added to the Giants uniforms, wrote:

Until this point, Giants jerseys evoking pride in San Francisco mostly revolved around the numbers 24 and 28. With this announcement, the Giants have become the first team in baseball history to wear the colors of the Pride flag on their on-field uniforms during a game, and doing it intertwined with their log.

I kept going back to that wondering about the numbers 24 & 28. My research says, by Pride, they mean great Giants players of the past/present, as Willie Mays was #24, and currently, Buster Posey is #28. I also noticed that, yes, they posted "and doing it interwined with their 'log'." A Freudian slip, perhaps? I'm assuming they meant logo.

In reading OUTSPORTS Pride events in MLB coverage, I knew that last year they'd written that only 2 teams in MLB had never had any Pride events at their ballparks over the years. And both teams in Texas. The Houston Astros and Texas Rangers. This year, they report that on June 16th, the Houston Astr*s are having a first ever Pride Event. I will admit that fans who buy event tickets for that game are getting a nice looking promo item:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2284 on: June 02, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
Depending on what OUTSPORTS considers "first", I was looking to see who first had a Pride night in the MLB. They have conflicting information. One article says: The Chicago Cubs started the Pride Night tradition among MLB clubs in 2001, and their event is now called Out at Wrigley Field. Another article says: The Dodgers have a long history of supporting the LGBTQ community. They hosted the first “Gay Night” we know of in pro sports, in 2000, when the team rallied to support a gay couple who had been mistreated by security at a previous game. In 2019, the team sold approximately 12,000 LGBTQ+ Night packages — the most ever for an LGBTQ night — in what was the team’s most-attended game in seven years.

I guess it doesn't matter who was first, it's nice that all the teams have jumped on board, except, so far, those Texas Rangers. But the Rangers will get their fill of Pride anyway. They'll be at the Astr*s first Pride night on June 16th, and also the Dodgers (!) on June 11 according to Outsports: Professional sports’ largest LGBTQ Pride Night, the Dodgers will host the LGBTQ community, and the Texas Rangers, on Friday, June 11. The game will be one of the few in-person celebrations for LA Pride this year.

I read that Pride celebrations are being heavily promoted and attended at many ballparks this year as most cities are not having Pride parades and few in person events as the country is just opening up in June. Makes sense. The last couple years I've been trying to get someone to go to one at Dodger Stadium. Which means my friends Ken & Robert are the only choices. They couldn't go last year and this year, it's the weekend before the stadium is full capacity so we really didn't want to get the seats they were offering. If one is spending a lot of money, we'd rather go another game this year with better seats!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 11:39:19 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2285 on: June 02, 2021, 05:49:03 PM »
They hosted the first “Gay Night” we know of in pro sports, in 2000, when the team rallied to support a gay couple who had been mistreated by security at a previous game.

Article about that, if interested:

https://www.outsports.com/2011/7/18/4051562/moment-84-lesbian-couple-ejected-from-dodgers-stadium-for-kissing

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2286 on: June 02, 2021, 10:42:22 PM »
If I lived in LA, Lyle,  I'd go with you to any games we could get good seats for!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2287 on: June 03, 2021, 11:40:21 AM »

Linda!  This thought makes me feel warm all over!
Thanks for that!  :-*

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2288 on: June 03, 2021, 12:04:18 PM »
I wish we had made a Stompers game before Sean Conroy left, Lyle!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2289 on: June 03, 2021, 02:05:22 PM »
Linda!  This thought makes me feel warm all over!
Thanks for that!  :-*

You're welcome, Lyle. ♥️

We actually have a good minor league team here in Albuquerque. The Albuquerque Isotopes. They are the minor league team for the Colorado Rockies.
... Kierkegaard

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2290 on: June 04, 2021, 09:09:01 AM »
KC wins a couple in a row! Still 5 out from 1st place! YIKES!  :o :o :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2291 on: June 04, 2021, 11:01:45 AM »
I wish we had made a Stompers game before Sean Conroy left, Lyle!

That woulda been something, Fritz!

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2292 on: June 05, 2021, 10:06:54 AM »
And KC wins another one!! Still 5 games back though........ :o

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2293 on: June 05, 2021, 10:40:23 AM »
Yeah, standings depend not only on your team winning but the other teams losing.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2294 on: June 06, 2021, 11:19:42 AM »
^^^

Don't I know it! The three best records in baseball this morning are

Last 10 Games
San Francisco Giants     -                8-2
San Diego Padres         2                4-6
Los Angeles Dodgers    3                4-6

...and San Francisco won't lose lately. And absolutely no one thought they'd be doing anything half as spectacular at the beginning of the season. They just won 2 games from the Cubs who in May had the Best Record in baseball. The next two weeks the Giants are playing teams who are 4th and 5th in their divisions.

Only 4 months to go! Heh! And I'm already  :-\ ??? :o !