The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 330033 times)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #2655 on: October 07, 2021, 12:37:54 PM »
Fritz,

There was a Washington Nats vibe in the stadium last night for awhile. On the big screen they showed, occasionally, some famous people who were in attendance, like Magic Johnson, Billie Jean King, Rob Lowe, Brendan Hunt (from Ted Lasso) and George Lopez.

Early in the game they showed Nationals superstar Juan Soto, and he was wearing a Nationals jersey and fans started booing him (why I don't know, there wasn't really a reason to last night) but then he turned around to show he was wearing a Nationals Trea Turner jersey and the fans changed their tune. Apparently he and the Nationals pitching coach, who was wearing a Scherzer Nats jersey, came to support Trea and Max and enjoy the game. And why not, they got seats behind the batters box. Max & Trea did not know they were there and were surprised and excited seeing them on the screens. It was a nice moment.

Yes, I've been hearing about that. Nice!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2656 on: October 07, 2021, 03:52:42 PM »
WOW, Lyle! Sounds like you had a great time and the WIN made all the more memorable for you!  :-*

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2657 on: October 08, 2021, 11:48:33 AM »

Jonn: Yes, I'm still pumped up about the great time I had!

1 win down, 11 to go!  :)

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2658 on: October 09, 2021, 08:29:34 AM »
Tough game in SF for the Dodgers! Sorry, Lyle.....next one has to be better, right?  ;)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2659 on: October 09, 2021, 01:42:46 PM »
^^^

I was going to complain about the umpires calling third strike outs on the Dodgers when they were clearly balls, but felt like maybe it was just me and part of the game where it happens sometimes, but this morning I found out I was not the only one who felt this way and read an article detailing it.

The Dodgers are a team whose players have long at bats because they don't swing a lot at off the plate pitches. But in the early innings, at least, the umpire was calling strikes that clearly were balls and so I guess the players started swinging at everything. I mean, the Dodgers have often gone to 3-2 counts and gotten on base, either with a hit or a walk. They often have long at bats making the pitcher throw 7-8-9+ pitches to them. Last night we had one player that went 6 pitches. Everyone else was less than that. WTF? The game, a play-off game, was really short:

Yesterdays game times:
Brewers/Braves 3 hrs. 10 min.
White Sox/Astr*s 4 hrs. 1 min.
Red Sox/Rays 3 hrs. 56 min.
Dodgers/Giants 2 hrs. 39 min.

That is not like the Dodgers. That is the shortest game time of all games we've played with the Giants this year.
But what can you do? Like I say, none of this matters if you win. But I do not like to lose because of possible
problematic umpire calls and that's happened in several of the games with the Giants this year.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2660 on: October 09, 2021, 04:52:20 PM »
This was exactly my thoughts, Lyle! When watching 'most of the game' I started thinking WHY are the Dodger batters swinging at pitches that are obviously going to be balls? HUH? And they kept doing it! I didn't catch the early innings, now I see why, the plate umpire kept calling strikes on pitches that in no way were strikes! Such is a baseball game sometimes. Did they just WANT Webb to have an outstanding game? Who knows? I don't usually pay much attention to the announcers, cause half the time they miss the pitches cause they're busy telling some trival pursuit type info about a player, or some game 10 years ago!! haha.........IMHO, you understand? Surely they commented on the bad plate calls though, no?

It was truly crazy to me though, all those off the plate swings.........weird.  :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2661 on: October 09, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »

The broadcasters of nationally televised ballgames might hint at calls like that, but they don't often blatantly call them out. The Dodgers broadcasters mention those things more often; I wonder what protocol there is about talking about the umpires calls? People generally don't pay as much attention if the umpire is doing it with both teams, calling the pitches the same way in the same locations.

Dodgers manager Dave Roberts was more diplomatic: “We just chased a lot more than we should have,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. “If you don’t make adjustments then they’re going to keep going to the well. That was the story.”

Here's an example: The first time our catcher Will Smith was at bat. Even Buster Posey knew it was a ball as he raised his mitt as quickly as he could into the strike zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOnzlDIKvYc

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2662 on: October 10, 2021, 12:13:21 AM »

"Now we're cookin' with gas!"

Dodgers 9 - Giants 2

Game time: 3 hrs. 27 min.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2663 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:32 AM »
Someone is a HAPPY CAMPER today!  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2664 on: October 10, 2021, 11:14:06 AM »

Yes indeed!   ;)

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2665 on: October 10, 2021, 11:27:44 AM »
KC Chiefs are on ABC network tonight, so I'll have to record both football and the baseball playoff! I might be up ALL NIGHT here!!  :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2666 on: October 10, 2021, 11:37:35 AM »

And why not!!!  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2667 on: October 10, 2021, 12:57:35 PM »

5 & 6

"Meet me after the game."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2668 on: October 10, 2021, 01:01:15 PM »
They could make beautiful music together.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2669 on: October 10, 2021, 08:48:05 PM »

I don't know why I do, but I like that they're both stepping on the base.