The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 218168 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #3075 on: July 27, 2022, 11:07:28 AM »
It figures. Last night I went downstairs to check my mail, and while I was gone, my guy Schwarber hit a home run and got the Phillies' only run.  :(

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3076 on: August 02, 2022, 12:14:51 PM »
So, Soto goes to the Padres instead of the Dodgers. Sorry to lose him.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3077 on: August 02, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »
Yes, I hate when players that one likes leave the home team.

We have a utility player Zach McKinstry, that gets called up and down alot, for the past two years. Maybe three. He's good, but he gets little playing time because of how many others we have that are better. (In the Pride game I went to he had a pinch hit home run.) He got traded to the Cubs for a pitcher recently. Zach's now on a pretty bad team, when he was part of a good one. But, he'll get to play a lot more and hopefully get better and better. Also, I just realized, he'll get to be part of the Field of Dreams game next week. Good luck Zach.

I'm kinda glad that the Dodgers did not get Soto. The asking price, which included trading for young talent, was just too high. Plus the Dodgers were offering Gavin Lux who's been on fire recently and is part of the TEAM right now. At last look, we have a pretty good team without him, too. Sometimes these trades are a distraction more than a help with all the attention. We don't need that kind of attention right now, IMO!

The original deal with Washington was that the Padres were going to offer Jonn's Eric Hosmer to the Nationals IF he waived his no trade clause to them, but he did not, so I'm unclear what's happening with that now. Who would go in his stead?

The Breaking News I just looked up is that Hosmer is being traded to the Boston Red Sox.

The thing is, Washington did not have to trade Juan Soto anywhere for two more years, so they were after the money? Who knows? I wish players were paid more on performance than possible performance. I've seen the Dodgers acquire pitchers for millions over the years that peter out quickly and then they still owe them millions for doing nothing. In the 90's we got a pitcher for $10 million dollars. He threw one pitch and that was it.

I hate the trade season every year when individual players get blown out of all proportion and people make up wild trade scenarios for weeks. Last year we got Trea Turner and Max Scherzer. Trea helped us immensely, but Max petered out when it mattered most, then he blamed the Dodgers. Now he's with the Mets where he was out for half the season. So, there's too much press about all this stuff every year. Glad it's over for now.

We still have 12 games left with the Padres, so they could be formidable, especially if Tatis returns soon and Machado is healthy. Our first of the 12 remaining is a series this weekend. Fortunately we're currently 12 games ahead of San Diego in the Division.

Reading articles about all this stuff right now is like listening to 12 years olds who just ate a box of sugar. It's ridiculous.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3078 on: August 02, 2022, 02:01:37 PM »

Speaking of...the second Field of Dreams game, August 11:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3079 on: August 02, 2022, 02:10:25 PM »
My question is, is taking something that's sprung from passion, loyalty, enjoyment and memory and starting to transform it into something else, not such a good thing, or inevitable?

New 'Field of Dreams' Movie Site Owners Unveil Plans for Youth Baseball and Softball Complex
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mlb/2022/7315968001/

From the simplicity of the movie and of our memories, to this?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3080 on: August 02, 2022, 02:19:50 PM »
Not only that ^^^ but now this:

Field of Dreams TV Series to Begin Production in Iowa This Summer
The Peacock original series will be a limited adaptation of the film with a "reimagined mixture of family, baseball and the magic connecting those themes."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/field-of-dreams-series-exclusive-1235139599/

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3081 on: August 02, 2022, 02:24:23 PM »
As many know, Dodger Stadium is located in Chavez Ravine and often mentioned. One night in 2016, two Dodgers relief pitchers appeared in consecutive innings in the stadium for a memorable performance. (It's not perfect...but it's close!)

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3082 on: August 02, 2022, 04:01:27 PM »
 ;D

Almost as good as the time when Hu was on first!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3083 on: August 02, 2022, 06:21:56 PM »
Bryce Harper has had the pins taken out of his thumb.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3084 on: August 02, 2022, 08:36:12 PM »
It's that time again. The Little League World Series  is slated to be played August 17-28, 2022.

Lyle you had said that you wanted to know when it was played and the schedules. It is usually shown on the ESPN family of networks. The Regionals start on August 4th and go up until the beginning of the Word Series elimination games.

https://www.littleleague.org/world-series/2022/llbws/tournaments/world-series/
You have to drill down in the link to get more detailed information.

New Mexico's team is from Albuquerque and are undefeated for the season. I don't expect them to go past the first round as they have only 9 players on the team. But I'll watch them in the regionals being played in Waco, TX, starting this Thursday.

I love watching these boys play. It is true sportsmanship in it's purest form.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3085 on: August 02, 2022, 09:37:07 PM »

Thank you, Linda!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3086 on: August 02, 2022, 09:40:22 PM »
Thank you, Linda!

You are more than welcome. Lyle!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3087 on: August 02, 2022, 09:43:11 PM »

"As long as you live keep smiling because it brightens everybody's day."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3089 on: August 03, 2022, 08:07:07 AM »
Amen. Started back in Brooklyn days.