The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 337396 times)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #3780 on: March 28, 2024, 11:37:33 AM »

P.S.: While you're there can you also register to vote and pick us all up some extra voting applications?

;D

I did have a Texas drivers license when I lived it El Paso, and kept it until I got back to New Orleans after my Army service was finished.

Coverage with the tablet will probably be spotty, since I won't be staying necessarily in places with access. But I hope to look in now and then, and catch up when I get back.

I plan to see the eclipse a ways farther south, in Kerr County.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3781 on: March 28, 2024, 08:15:45 PM »

You sure are a travelin' man. That's nice. Enjoy!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3782 on: March 30, 2024, 09:36:24 AM »

Third day of MLB Opening Week and will the Dodgers have a rainout today? It's an extremely rare occurrence here.
Dodgers have never had a rainout in March, though baseball seasons used to start in April. Now the last week of
March is in play. Only once in the 60's was there a rainout. The last quarter century's been pretty dry! I guess it
doesn't count last year when we had that hurricane come through and they rescheduled the Sunday game to a
Saturday double header

4/21/67 vs St. Louis

4/12/76 vs San Diego
9/10/76 vs Atlanta
9/11/76 vs Atlanta
5/8/77 vs Philadelphia
5/9/77 vs Philadelphia
8/17/77 vs San Francisco
4/15/78 vs Atlanta
9/5/78 vs San Francisco

4/11/82 vs San Diego
8/18/83 vs New York
9/24/86 vs San Diego
4/19/88 vs San Diego
4/20/88 vs San Diego
4/21/88 vs San Diego

4/11/99 vs Colorado

4/17/00 vs Houston

Totals by month:
April: 9 | May: 2 | June: 0 | July: 0 | August: 2 | September: 4

Looking at the weather forecast it looks like if they do decide to play today that it could be interrupted several times.
Tomorrow doesn't look good for a double header, either. Sheesh!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3783 on: April 05, 2024, 11:13:33 AM »

Jeff, mark April 12th on your calendar. The Phillies are unveiling their new City Connect uniforms:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3784 on: April 05, 2024, 11:13:58 AM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3785 on: April 05, 2024, 11:20:39 AM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3786 on: April 05, 2024, 11:20:54 AM »

So, whattaya think?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3787 on: April 05, 2024, 11:24:20 AM »

Here are the teams getting their City Connect Uniforms for the first time this year.
(Except, apparently the Dodgers are getting a second try at it.)
That will leave two teams without them, the Yankees and Athletics.
The Yankees have expressed disdain for altering their look and doing this.
The Athletics are having ownership as well as location problems and this is the least of their concerns.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3788 on: April 05, 2024, 06:34:54 PM »
So, whattaya think?

I think the Philadelphia fans won't stand for that crap, and before you can say "It's outta here" they'll be back in their proper uniforms.

Remember, we're the city that booed Santa Claus.  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3789 on: April 06, 2024, 10:03:12 AM »
Jeff, the teams are contracted to wear the Niké City Connect uniforms around once a week, so they can't opt out of them, no matter how much anyone dislikes them! When this first started two years ago, OMG it was 3 years ago already, I liked the idea, but IMO most all of them have been disappointing.

The Dodgers looked like they were wearing pajamas when they wore theirs. Last year they changed the blue pants to white and that made them more acceptable. I don't know what they're thinking this year trying it again! The only one I totally like is the Nationals uniforms.

I feel like recapping all of them!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3790 on: April 06, 2024, 10:09:03 AM »

Boston Red Sox | Debut: April 17, 2021
Design inspiration: The Red Sox launched the City Connect series with a radical idea: No red. Instead, the team went with a yellow-and-blue jersey color combo that's a nod to the Boston Marathon. There's also a sleeve patch featuring Fenway Park's "617" area code.

Miami Marlins | Debut: May 21, 2021
Design inspiration: Miami's Cuban population is celebrated with a uniform inspired by the Sugar Kings, a Triple-A team that played out of Havana, Cuba, from 1954 to 1960. The sleeve patch uses the original Sugar Kings logo, with an "MM" added to the crown.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3791 on: April 06, 2024, 10:12:31 AM »

Chicago White Sox | Debut: June 5, 2021
Design inspiration: The first of the Chicago City Connects takes cues from the city's Greystone architectural style as well as hip-hop and youth culture, highlighted by a Gothic "Southside" across the chest to represent the team's long history of calling that part of town home.

Chicago Cubs | Debut: June 12, 2021
Design inspiration: With colors that evoke their city's flag, the Cubs' look prominently features the "Wrigleyville" neighborhood that surrounds their iconic ballpark, in a font similar to Wrigley Field's famous marquee.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3792 on: April 06, 2024, 10:15:48 AM »

Arizona Diamondbacks | Debut: June 18, 2021
Design inspiration: The Diamondbacks become the "Serpientes" on their City Connect jerseys, a nod to Hispanic culture, and their choice of gold is straight out of the Arizona desert.

San Francisco Giants | Debut: July 9, 2021
Design inspiration: Fog. San Francisco's offering in the City Connect series has graphics that are emerging from the city's famous fog, including its most well-known landmark, the Golden Gate Bridge.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3793 on: April 06, 2024, 10:24:27 AM »

Los Angeles Dodgers Take 1A | Debut: Aug. 20, 2021
Design inspiration: The "Los Dodgers" lettering on both the hat and jersey is not only a shout-out to the team's Latin fan base, but was also a specific callback to "Fernandomania," when Mexican left-hander Fernando Valenzuela burst onto the scene 40 years earlier, winning the National League Cy Young Award, Rookie of the Year Award and, oh yeah, the World Series in 1981.

Dodgers Take 1B | 2023
Last year the Dodgers traded the blue pants for white and a Take 1C will be coming soon.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3794 on: April 06, 2024, 10:27:01 AM »

Washington Nationals | Debut: April 9, 2022
Design inspiration: Cherry blossoms. Among other symbols of the nation's capital, the Nats decorated their jerseys to celebrate D.C.'s iconic cherry trees, though they'll be retiring the look after the 2024 season.

Houston Astr*s | Debut: April 20, 2022
Design inspiration: Outer space. The Astros lean into Houston's most well-known explorers -- NASA -- with many elements, most prominently the "SPACE CITY" name stenciled across the chest in what the team called a "space-inspired" font.