The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 335787 times)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #630 on: January 21, 2019, 08:06:06 AM »
Yeah, same for the Saints!

I expect that the city will party when the team comes home. New Orleans likes any excuse for a party!

mod: I mean, the team is home, but there will be something to thank them for a division title, at least!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 01:43:41 PM by fritzkep »
Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #631 on: January 21, 2019, 08:56:52 AM »
Well I know one person who has ZERO interest in watching the Superbowl. I'll find better things to do that day.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #632 on: January 21, 2019, 03:10:22 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #633 on: January 23, 2019, 09:39:54 AM »

It's always unfortunate when an outcome is tainted because of a bad call or no call.
I wonder why, at least in a championship game like this, there is no replay allowed
for this particular thing?

Because I don't know, what would have happened if there was a call on that play?
The game was tied at that point wasn't it?

Too bad it didn't happen to the Patriots. No one would've been as upset.  :)

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #634 on: January 23, 2019, 09:43:42 AM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D

Yes, it was tied so it went into overtime.

Even the Ram who ran into the Saint admitted it was pass interference.

I'm planning to not watch.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #635 on: January 23, 2019, 06:46:49 PM »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #636 on: January 24, 2019, 11:12:37 AM »

LOL!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #637 on: January 26, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »
Major Upset at the European Championships in the Women's Discipline.

This weekend was a major international competition for the European countries, which is considered a precursor to the World Championships.

Favored to win the event was Russian skater Alina Zagitova.  She won the gold medal at the Olympics last year, but has since not won any major competitions.  After the Olympics in 2018, she placed 5th at the World Championships a month later.   Her new season found her to have some spotty skating, but she was still good enough to win her two stops on the Grand Prix tour, Skate Finland and Rostelecom Cup (Russia).  However, when she faced all the other skaters who won their stops as well, at the Grand Prix Final, she ended up with a silver medal, behind Japan's Rika Kihira.

Russian National Champions came, and she ended up placing fifth, not earning any medals.  Many felt that her skate at the Europeans would be her shot at redemption, and would seal a spot on the World Team.  Three of the competitors who beat her at the Russian Nationals are under 16, and therefore can't compete there, so Russia needs to send other ladies.

Alina faltered on two of her jumps, and ended up finishing second, behind fellow Russian Sofia Samodurova.

Here are their final programs.  Alina skates to the music of Carmen.  Sofia to music from the Cher movie "Burlesque".

Alina >>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw0buVUS0iA

Sofia>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JurVfqNv-4o

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #638 on: January 26, 2019, 08:38:43 PM »
Leaving the Sport On Top!

Javier Fernández López was born on 15 April 1991 in Madrid.  He is the younger of two children born to Enriqueta, a mail carrier, and Antonio, an army mechanic.  Fernández started skating at the age of six, after his older sister began taking lessons. For a while, he also played soccer, tennis, and ice hockey, but dropped the other sports to focus on skating at age eight. Their father stated, "Between the two children we were spending €450 a month when my earnings were less than €1,500".

Figure skating was not a popular sport in Spain, but Javier showed promise, and continued to move up in the ranks while representing Spain at low-level competitions.  When Javier went to the United States to train, Antonio took a second job repairing helicopters to cover the expenses.  His older sister, Laura, competed in ladies' singles and ice dancing. 

Due to his natural good looks, Javier developed a large fan base among female figure skating fans, and his successes on the rink continued to draw attention in figure skating circles.

When he reached the senior levels of competition, he became a star.  He became the first Spanish figure skater to win medals on the Grand Prix Tour, the European Championships, the World Championships, and the Olympics.  He won the gold medal at the National Championships of Spain 8 times.  At the Grand Prix Final, he won 1 bronze medal, and two silver medals.  At the World Championships, he won 2 bronze medals and 2 gold medals.  At the 2018 Winter Olympics, he won a bronze medal.

His crowning achievement was winning 6 consecutive gold medals at the European Championships.

This year Javier announced his retirement, but said he would compete at the 2019 European Championships, which would be his last event.  He faced stiff competition from two Russians, a French skater, and an Italian.  After the short program he was in 3rd place.   His long program was not error free, but it was near perfect and very artistic, and he was moved into 1st place, to win his 7th consecutive European Championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8tXAv0ph14

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #639 on: January 27, 2019, 10:48:23 AM »
^^^

That was great!  And I like the music from Man of La Mancha.

Due to his natural good looks, Javier developed a large fan base among female figure skating fans., and his successes on the rink continued to draw attention in figure skating circles.

Not just the ladies I'm guessing.

Retiring at 27. I can't even remember when I was 27. Wonder what he will do next.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #640 on: January 27, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »
^^^

That was great!  And I like the music from Man of La Mancha.

Not just the ladies I'm guessing.

Retiring at 27. I can't even remember when I was 27. Wonder what he will do next.

I'm sure not just the ladies!  I think he's adorable!  ;)

In regards to his retirement, he said he wants to stay in the world of skating, but not compete.  He wants to do what he can to raise the profile of the sport in his home country.  Already it appears to be working.  The year he announced his retirement, the skating world started to pay attention to a new pair team that is from Spain, and working their way up in the standings.  It's surmised that between their new successes, and Javier's work to bring more attention to skating will bring in a new crop of young skaters.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #641 on: February 03, 2019, 09:08:54 AM »
Who all in here is going to watch the Super Bowl today? I'll be watching just to see that young LA QB play!! LOL....I've only seen him play ONE time this season. I hope he's not intimidated by Brady and all that bunch!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #642 on: February 03, 2019, 10:07:12 AM »
I won't be watching.  LOL

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #643 on: February 03, 2019, 10:55:34 AM »

I've never seen one!  I hope L.A. wins, though, especially after two years of losing the World Series.
And Boston (New England) doesn't need to win again, they just won the World Series and the Patriots
could use a comeuppance.

Someone brought up that interference play against the Saints that wasn't called on a program I was watching
which Michael Moore was on. He interrupted and said he was tired of hearing about that call. He said there were
4 instances in that same game that could've been called against the Saints, but were not and reminded people
the Saints were the team that once had instructions "to crush the other sides bones" or something like that.
Anyone who knows about football agree with what he said?

It seems from casually hearing things around the news that most people are rooting against the Patriots more
than for anything this time around.

Enjoy it for those who are watching!

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #644 on: February 03, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »
I'm watching because it's the last game until August...I'm already counting down to next fall  ;)

As for the bad call in the Saints game

Bye, Felicia

"What a maroon."  Bugs Bunny

"I try to be good...I only manage it in streaks."