The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 335685 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #750 on: April 14, 2019, 08:14:27 PM »
I liked Bull Durham, Sarandon was amazing in that film, IMHO, you understand?  :o :o :o

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #751 on: April 14, 2019, 08:15:34 PM »
KC wins the SWEEP over Cleveland!!! OMG, Cleveland was the FIRST PLACE TEAM in the division!!! amazing!!!  :o :o :o :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #752 on: April 15, 2019, 10:11:26 AM »

KC at the bat this weekend!

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #753 on: April 16, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
KC's 3 game winning streak is over now!! bummer, they blame the bullpen again....who knows? Maybe they should have invested in better Pitchers instead of better hitters and base stealers? Something's gotta give........ :o.....stands aren't even HALF FULL, looks to me like.....I always laugh when the announcers say the CROWD goes wild!! What CROWD??!  ;D :o :P :laugh:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #754 on: April 16, 2019, 12:35:07 PM »

Question of the Day:

Why Do the Nationals Celebrate Big Wins by Flinging Cabbage Around in the Clubhouse?
https://www.mlb.com/cut4/why-the-nationals-celebrate-wins-with-cabbage

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #755 on: April 16, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »
[...]
Since there have been so many numerous baseball films of all types and most of them popular, maybe tomorrow I'll discuss some
baseball themed TV series and ponder why none of them have been popular.

^^^
Question from another day!

Since I like baseball and baseball movies, I've always wondered why baseball themed TV series don't inspire viewers. Every once in awhile they will appear on the networks, but they usually disappear quicker than the recent Orioles chances to rise out of last place.

I HAVE THE ANSWER!

Or "an" answer. (Not that any of you were clamoring for one since I brought it up a couple days ago.)  ;)

First, can any of you even name a baseball themed TV series? Here are some listed by the year they were on:

Ball Four (1976)
The Bad News Bears (1979)

Bay City Blues (1983)

A League of Their Own (1993)
Hardball (1994)

Clubhouse (2004)
The Bronx Is Burning (2008)
Eastbound & Down (2009)

Back in the Game (2013)
Pitch (2016)
Brockmire (2017)

I remember watching Ball Four when it came on and in trying to find a list of baseball themed TV series I was really surprised that 1976 is the first year there were any? It seems odd no one tried one before then in the 50's and 60's! I don't know how accurate any list I found is, because one of my recent favorites (if recent is 15 years ago) that was yanked so quickly was "Clubhouse." That one even had recognizable actors in it like Dean Cain, Christopher Lloyd and Mare Winningham, and not one list included it!

Back to Ball Four, though. That was based on a fictional book by Jim Bouton and only lasted a month, but It's noteworthy, however, because it featured a gay character (a player, no less), which seems a bold move in 1976. It actually seems pretty unbelievable. (Although Bouton wrote about unnamed gay players in his book.)

Until I was googling some stuff right now I have to say I do not even recall there was a series of A League of Their Own. There was?  Even Penny Marshall and Tom Hanks directed an episode. The article I was reading had a link to a youtube video of the theme song and one reason it may not have lasted is that there wasn't one person in the cast I've ever heard of. But it rings absolutely no bell with me. It's hard to remembershows that didn't last and only aired a few episodes.

I really loved the sitcom Back in the Game from 2013, which seems like it was on yesterday, but that was 6 years ago. It starred James Caan and I thought it was a hoot.

The few recent ones (The Bronx Is Burning [a true story], Eastbound & Down and Brockmire appeared on cable or HBO. I haven't seen those.

Back to my reason for why I don't think baseball themed series catch on: They all premiere in the fall when the regular baseball season is over and the play-offs and World Series are on. I remember when Clubhouse was on I was taping it because it actually was airing against play-off games. Baseball fans aren't going to be tuning in to new shows when actual games are happening. Baseball themed series should premiere in the spring right before regular MLB games start and after a few month lull in the sport.  That's my opinion.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #756 on: April 16, 2019, 02:34:23 PM »

Coincidentally, while I was searching for some info in my above post, I discovered these very recent articles:

'The Sandlot' Will Get a TV Series Reboot
https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/the-sandlot-will-get-a-tv-series-reboot-with-the-original-baseball-cast-set-to-reunite/

A TV series inspired by the 1993 movie is apparently in the works, and several original cast members from the film are set to reprise their roles for the television show. This is according to the film's writer and director, David Mickey Evans, who revealed the news to the baseball podcast The Rain Delay.  The show reportedly already has a two-season order from an undisclosed streaming service.
_______

Pitch: Season Two? Disney May Revive FOX’s Cancelled Baseball Drama
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/pitch-season-two-disney-may-revive-foxs-cancelled-baseball-drama/

The Hollywood Reporter says Disney’s 20th Century TV is interested in reviving the cancelled series to keep creator Dan Fogelman at the studio. FOX cancelled Pitch in 2017 after only one season, but there may still be some hope for the baseball drama.
_______

‘A League Of Their Own’ Series in the Works at Amazon
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/a-league-own-tv-series-works-at-amazon-1089196

"A League of Their Own is a half-hour comedy infusing the warmth, humor and DNA of the classic film, while taking a contemporary spin on the stories of the women surrounding the American Girls Professional Baseball League. The show will begin with the formation of the league in 1943 and follows the Rockford Peaches, season to season as they struggle to keep the team alive."
_______

Notice that all would be from streaming services.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #757 on: April 16, 2019, 02:55:20 PM »

When talking about The Natural a couple days ago I wanted to mention that there was a 1999 episode of THE X-FILES that was written and directed by David Duchovny and it was about discovering an alien being who had a fondness for baseball. The episode was called "The Unnatural."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #758 on: April 16, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »

After nearly three weeks of baseball, here are the teams in first place:

AL East
Tampa Bay Rays

AL Central
Minnesota Twins

AL West
Seattle Mariners

NL East
New York Mets

NL Central
Milwaukee Brewers

NL West
San Diego Padres

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #759 on: April 17, 2019, 05:16:34 PM »
KC wins one on the ROAD!! At least we aren't on another losing streak!!  :o :o :o

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #760 on: April 19, 2019, 10:14:02 AM »
OMG!! KC wins AGAIN last night!!  :o :o :o

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #761 on: April 19, 2019, 10:46:43 AM »

KC has a pitcher named Richard Lovelady.
Sometmes the fates are cruel to a child!    :)

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #762 on: April 19, 2019, 06:05:34 PM »
Bwwwaaaahhhhaaaaa!!! Well, he is a LOVE for KC, for sure!! Don't know about the Lady part........

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #763 on: April 20, 2019, 08:14:22 AM »
Some good things never last............isn't that a Song title? I think so........

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #764 on: April 21, 2019, 10:32:59 AM »
KC loses badly on Saturday!! dang it!! Yes, I'll be watching today's game as well........ :o