The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 335288 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #915 on: July 10, 2019, 09:25:52 AM »

So, the MLB All-Star game last night produced at least one
amusing headline story this morning...

George Washington Bodyslams a Hot Dog
All-Star mascot race ends in chaos.

LOL!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #916 on: July 10, 2019, 12:08:55 PM »
^^^^ Yeah, I saw that! It was funny. Not a very interesting game, I must say. It did get close at the end though. National League came up short....... again!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #917 on: July 11, 2019, 10:37:36 AM »

I agree...I think they rarely are interesting games, there's too much substituting players so they all get a chance, and each league seems to go on streaks of winning for years on end, and these games started in the first place for the average fan to have a chance to see different players in person, but the average fan doesn't get to buy these tickets and if they did they couldn't afford them!  I think that's why they've added things to the event, like the home run derby and the All-Star parade and such. It is a nice break, though, if you follow a team. You can rest for several days! Heh!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #918 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »

Fritz, your Nationals went on a spree before the All Star game and now are in the thick of things!
They're at the top of the list in the Wild Card standings heading into the second half!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #919 on: July 11, 2019, 10:55:20 AM »

Robot Umpires and stealing first?

Sometimes MLB tries out various different "rules" to see how they'd play out if adopted.

Batters in the Atlantic League will get the chance to try a new series of experimental rules announced Thursday. As the independent minor league prepares to expand the use of "robot umpires" leaguewide, Major League Baseball and the Atlantic League added four more rules to the second half of the season.

1.) Batters may try to steal first base on any pitch that was not caught in flight. It expands the traditional dropped third strike rule to all pitches, and batters can be thrown out if they try to run.
2.) One foul bunt is allowed with two strikes before it becomes a strikeout.
3.) Pitchers are required to step off the rubber to try a pickoff.
4.) A relaxation on check swings to be more batter-friendly.

And if you're interested in how the robot umpires work, this article is quite interesting:
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27164197/robot-umpires-debut-atlantic-league-asg

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #920 on: July 11, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
MLB has:

This month's not-so-great (maybe) event to watch:

MLB: Mets at Giants
(July 20, 4:05 p.m. ET)

The Mets spent the early summer hiring 82-year-old coaches and threatening reporters, while the Giants were yelling about other teams home run celebrations. It can lead to only one thing -- Get Off My Lawn Day at the ballpark!

LOL!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #921 on: July 11, 2019, 11:11:00 AM »

ESPN's satire page titled "You Cannot Be Serious" has some amusement with
promotions for some teams to increase sagging attendance. Here's a couple
that I thought were particularly amusing:

New York Mets
By purchasing any single-game ticket, fans are automatically entered in a raffle to win tickets to a Yankees game.

Arizona Diamondbacks
By encouraging fans to seek shelter in the stadium before an asteroid strikes Phoenix, the team has boosted attendance by 3 percent while simultaneously creating mass hysteria.

Houston Astros
As part of a season-long campaign, stadium hot dogs will now be cooked to appropriate temperatures on select nights during the season.

;D

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #922 on: July 11, 2019, 11:33:38 AM »
Fritz, your Nationals went on a spree before the All Star game and now are in the thick of things!
They're at the top of the list in the Wild Card standings heading into the second half!

Yay!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #923 on: July 12, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »

My friends Ken & Robert have just returned from a trip to Canada, where Ken is originally from and when they returned we chatted about going to another Dodger game this summer like we did last year! Decent seats for teams like the Yankees (our inter-league schedule this year is with the American League East) and our Angels rivals among others are way out of our price range, unless we want less than desirable seats, and if you only go to one game a year, you'd like some decent seats!

So I discovered we could see the Toronto Blue Jays and a rare Canadian team play in Dodger stadium next month. (Which Ken is thrilled with.) I found some comparable seats to the ones we had last year and not only that, they were being sold at half the original face value on a ticket site. So, our per ticket price each is going to be $23! Last year we paid more than $70 per seat and that wasn't even the total of all three of these tickets, which are just as good seats!  So, really, we lucked out this time. Now I can have an extra Dodger Dog to eat!

We'll be going in five weeks, August 20th, so something to look forward to!  I just hope it's a mild weather day. (Or cold weather day, but I'm being realistic!)

P.S.: For $70 you could buy seven good seats for an Ultimate Disc game!  :)

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #924 on: July 12, 2019, 03:06:24 PM »
Ticket prices are out of sight, here too! In the past our choir has gone to games, but we didn't schedule one this year.

Big hugs to Ken and Robert, I so loved the party at their home way back when!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #925 on: July 13, 2019, 12:52:42 PM »
I'll them you said so, Fritz!  When I mentioned that party for some reason over there earlier this year...oh, yeah...I asked if they remembered John/BayCityJohn...and they asked if I had heard of or talked to a few others they remembered and you were one of them!

Ticket prices are out of sight, here too! In the past our choir has gone to games, but we didn't schedule one this year.

And I keep reading articles about WHY attendance at MLB games is way down this year and not one of these articles mentions the price of tickets, programs, souvenirs, food, parking...!  Parking at Dodger stadium is $20! (We're taking a bus!) For last year's World Series at Dodger Stadium, they charged $40 for parking in advance, and $60 at the gate!

At Dodger stadium, however, our attendance is NOT down. It's as high as ever. I sometimes see a game on TV and look at some in the crowd and wonder "How can you guys afford it all?"

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #926 on: July 13, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »

Dodgers are having some trouble right now. We lost our 4th game in a row for the first time this year. Three before the All-Star game and then last night at Fenway Park. Dodgers must hate Fenway Park. We lost the first two WS games there last fall in freezing temps. Last night they had an hour rain delay in the 7th inning when winning the game was still possible. We better win today's game! It's Fox's game of the week, so I'll get to see it on TV.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #927 on: July 13, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
It's the Green Monster.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #928 on: July 14, 2019, 02:54:33 PM »
Fritz, did you know the Nationals have had the best W/L record in MLB since May 21st, or thereabouts?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #929 on: July 14, 2019, 02:57:49 PM »
It's the Green Monster.

^^^

The Dodgers tamed the Green Monster last night with 4 home runs and winning 11 - 2.  Cody Bellinger hit his league leading 31st home run on his 24th birthday. Can you imagine being a huge baseball star at age 24?  FOX Sports was so embarrassed for the Red Sox that at the final box score at the end of the game they had the Red Sox listed as St. Louis.  :)

You can see that here if you want at 5:15 on the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWK3IGNFNc8

There were so many Dodger fans in the stadium you could often here the "Let's Go Dodgers" chant, they sang "Happy Birthday" to Cody in right field, and chanted MVP when he came up to bat.  By the later innings the Red Sox fans were mostly gone and the Dodger fans were left.

Besides traveling all over to every stadium:
So, what's that I always hear Red Sox fans, about Dodger fans not staying through every inning of a game and leaving early?