The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 335748 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #945 on: August 08, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »
Fritz, do you also know what the Nationals' "Baby Shark" is?
I'd seen it once on TV, but didn't know it was such a big deal.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27311162/how-baby-shark-helped-nats-take-bite-their-early-deficit

Here's a short youtube video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIamLuOg2-c

I love things like this. Something unique to different teams and ballparks that get the fans into it!
(Although the Braves tomahawk chop I always found annoying.)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #946 on: August 08, 2019, 01:10:52 PM »
Excellent Fritz!

Have you checked the MLB National League WIld Card Standings lately:

National League / Wild Card Standings

Games Behind
Washington Nationals +2
Philadelphia Phillies     -
Milwaukee Brewers      -
St. Louis Cardinals     0.5
New York Mets           0.5
Arizona D'backs         1.5
San Francisco Giants  3.5

*For anyone that doesn't know, until recently whoever was atop the Wild Card Standings went to the playoffs. In the last few years, to make it more difficult for the teams, but more exciting for the fans, the TOP TWO teams in the Wild Card standings have to play a one game playoff. The winner of that game goes to the divisional playoffs. According to the above standings, that means that if the season ended today, the Phillies and Brewers would have to play one game and the winner of that game would play the Nationals for the Wild Card spot. I have no idea what would happen if the Cardinals and Mets were also even! Long way to go, though,anything can happen it is so close here.

Hope!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #947 on: August 08, 2019, 01:12:49 PM »
Fritz, do you also know what the Nationals' "Baby Shark" is?
I'd seen it once on TV, but didn't know it was such a big deal.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27311162/how-baby-shark-helped-nats-take-bite-their-early-deficit

Here's a short youtube video of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIamLuOg2-c

I love things like this. Something unique to different teams and ballparks that get the fans into it!

New to me, I haven't been to Nationals Park yet this year, and unless the choir plans an outing, or one of my friends, I probably won't this year. Tickets have become quite expensive.

But whatever works!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #948 on: August 08, 2019, 01:59:54 PM »
Fantastic!

White Sox to Play at 'Field of Dreams' in 2020
Major League Baseball is going to build it — and the White Sox and Yankees are coming to Iowa.

An aerial view of the famous "Field of Dreams" in Dyersville, Iowa.

by Luke Meredith Associated Press
August 8, 2019

"As a sport that is proud of its history linking generations, Major League Baseball is excited to bring a regular-season game to the site of Field of Dreams," commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "We look forward to celebrating the movie's enduring message of how baseball brings people together at this special cornfield in Iowa."

A temporary 8,000-seat ballpark will be built on the site to accommodate the first major league game played in Iowa. Construction on the ballpark will begin Tuesday, one year before the game will be played. A pathway is being built through a cornfield that will take fans to the stadium. It will overlook the site where Costner's character carved a ballpark out of a field after a mysterious voice told him, "If you build it, he will come." Dimensions of the ballpark were not announced, though MLB posted a video of a rendering of the setup, which will include aspects of the White Sox's former Comiskey Park. The right-field wall will be broken up by windows to show the cornstalks beyond the wall and the ballpark's design will honor old Comiskey Park, home of the White Sox from 1910-1990.

The game will be played on a Thursday and air on Fox.

I love this movie. I wish they'd truly be fair and do a lottery for people to buy the 8,000 tickets, but I'm sure the average person has no shot at that, except to watch it on TV. The tickets will go to advertisers, Fox sports people, players families, baseball executives and people on Fox's tv programs. Such is the way of things.

I wonder why they didn't do it this year, for the 30th anniversary of the movie?

If they really want to be in the spirit of our baseball memories they'd let a timeless announcer like Vin Scully call the game.

Vin Scully recites famous 'Field of Dreams' speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl2psrwzcao
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:08:55 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #949 on: August 08, 2019, 02:34:40 PM »
Beautiful!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #950 on: August 08, 2019, 02:42:59 PM »
How I love that movie.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #951 on: August 08, 2019, 07:22:07 PM »
Linda, for the first time ever a team from Louisiana is headed to the LLWS, and the team is sponsored among others by my high school.

https://www.facebook.com/hctigerbaseball/posts/2355786798021665

https://crescentcitysports.com/eastbank-little-league-punches-world-series-ticket-with-southwest-regional-title/?fbclid=IwAR0OEPv_-gxppUpqiXJNoJx0wwU-tGBlqWPYCkTL394T3B91w_fjzZ63kF4

Geaux Tigers!

Oh cool, Fritz. I'll be watching all the games when the LLWS starts next week, so I'll be sure to watch. I like having teams to root for! I put in the Diner about Virginia and DC. Virginia is already in, DC is playing a regional game today.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #952 on: August 08, 2019, 07:25:44 PM »

There are a couple of college football teams that have this too, and it drives me NUTS!  I sometimes have to mute the game it gets so bad! >:(
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #953 on: August 08, 2019, 07:27:30 PM »
How I love that movie.

ME TOO! One I will always watch when it comes on TV.
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #954 on: August 08, 2019, 07:46:41 PM »
Lyle, the MLB Little League Classic will be played on August 18. The Cubs and the Pirates will be playing. This is the third year they are doing this. Every year it is different 2 teams.
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #955 on: August 08, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »
Also in case Lyle and Fritz are interested, all the games are on ESPN, unless there is a rain delay, so they move them to ESPN news.
... Kierkegaard

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #956 on: August 08, 2019, 08:34:10 PM »
Thanks, Linda.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #957 on: August 09, 2019, 10:44:12 AM »
Lyle, the MLB Little League Classic will be played on August 18. The Cubs and the Pirates will be playing. This is the third year they are doing this. Every year it is different 2 teams.

Thanks, Linda!

I read in the article about the Field of Dreams game, this:

Will this 8,000 seat ball park be the smallest facility to house an MLB regular-season game?
No, BB&T Ballpark at Historic Bowman Field in Williamsport, Pa., where the Little League Classic is held, is the smallest, with a capacity of 2,366.

How great for the Little League attendants to see an MLB game in their midst. It must be very inspiring. A different field of dreams.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #958 on: August 09, 2019, 11:57:37 AM »

How I love that movie.

ME TOO! One I will always watch when it comes on TV.

Three points of interest about the Field of Dreams movie:

1.) It was filmed in 1988 and at the time the weather in Iowa was record setting heat. There was also a farm crisis going on and farms were going under right and left. The grounds were all brown and dry and the art director and set decorator and their crews are largely responsible for the lush green corn fields and scenery we remember in the film! You wouldn't know the filming conditions from the look of the film we remember! Also, the scene where the ballplayers first come out of the cornfield at dusk and Ray sees them...it is twilight and this ethereal cloud of fog is descending around them...that was not a special effect, nor planned, it was an accident of when they were filming it. As the evening progressed the temperature began dropping, moisture came into the air and it caused this fantastic look that the director and crew were just in wonderment!  Nice to know it wasn't visual effects!

SIDEBAR:  That's one thing about movies today...  When you see a scene filmed outside and there's some kind of weather pattern or you see the sky with a great moon, now my mind just supposes it's a visual effect they put there, not that it was something natural they painstakingly waited for to capture or an accident of filming at the right time. To me that notion they just did it, makes it less special, even if it is natural now...who's to know?

2.) When the movie was filmed in 1988, Ben Affleck and Matt Damon were trying to make their way into the business. They knew that they were filming some scenes or location footage at a Boston Red Sox game the night that they did that, and they made their way there to be in Fenway Park that same night. So somewhere in that stadium scene are Matt & Ben!

3.) The movie is based on the novel Shoeless Joe by W.P. Kinsella. The movie's director wanted to keep that name for the movie, but Universal didn't really like it and was testing different titles with preview audiences and "Field of Dreams" was the one audiences liked more than the others. (I wish I knew what some of the other titles they tested were.) So, Universal decided, over the director's objections, that Field of Dreams would be the name of the film. The director was unhappy and did not want to tell the book's author the title was going to be changed, but he finally made the call. "I have to tell you something," he said. "I fought for it, but Universal has decided not to use the name of your novel as the title. It's going to be called Field of Dreams, instead."  To the director's surprise, he heard this on the other end of the line, "Oh, that's okay. Shoeless Joe was the book publisher's idea. I didn't come up with that title. I wanted to call it "Dream Field."   LOL!

A couple other items of interest: The author of the book is Canadian! The character that James Earl Jones plays in the movie is a fictional character, but in the novel that person is J.D. Salinger, who wrote Catcher in the Rye. I don't know if they couldn't use Salinger's character in the film or chose to make it a fictional person, but I think it was a wise choice. The real Salinger persona would've distracted audiences from the story in a way it doesn't in the book.

Also not a visual effect: 2500 cars line the road to create the final magic:

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #959 on: August 09, 2019, 01:07:30 PM »
How great for the Little League attendants to see an MLB game in their midst. It must be very inspiring. A different field of dreams.

It is so exciting for the kids who are at the games. They get to meet some of their favorite players, and the MLB players come early in the day and spend hours with the kids before they play their game in the evening. It is such a great time for both the kids and adults.
... Kierkegaard