The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 81593 times)

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #1575 on: May 17, 2020, 05:36:23 PM »
Speaking of gentler times, have you heard Shelby Foote’s Babe Ruth story? Shelby had a small segment in Ken Burn’s Baseball Inning 5.

Many years ago, fourteen year-old Shelby, his uncle Roy, and his nine year-old cousin James lived 150 miles south of Memphis. The Yankees were visiting Memphis on a barnstorming trip. The trio decided to “go see Babe”, and they got in their car and drove to the Peabody Hotel.

There, uncle Roy went to the desk clerk and asked simply, “What room is the Babe in?” The clerk told him, and the trio took the elevator up to the proper floor, got out, and found the room. They knocked.

A large man opened the door and asked “What can I do for you?”, and uncle Roy said, “Is the Babe in?” The large man called  over his shoulder, “Babe, they're some folks here to see you.” The Babe appeared, and the large man went back into the room. (At that instant, boy Shelby suddenly realized that the large man was Lou Gehrig.)

The Babe said, “Hello.” He had a big cigar in one hand and a drink in the other. Uncle Roy said, “Babe, these boys have come up to see you, they’re great fans of yours.” The Babe said, “Well, I’m glad to hear it.” He shook James’ hand, then shook Shelby’s hand, and said. “I’m glad to meet you.” Then he stepped back into the room and shut the door.

Then Shelby says, with a great big smile, “And that’s my Babe Ruth story!”

~~~fia

Those were the days of TRUE sports heroes.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1576 on: May 20, 2020, 01:33:32 PM »
It hadn't occurred to me that, because of the current situation, the team hasn't gotten their reward yet...

Washington Nationals to Hold Virtual World Series Ring Ceremony Sunday

After facing uncertainty because of the pandemic as to how and when the Nationals would receive their rings to commemorate their 2019 World Series championship, the team announced it will hold the first virtual ring ceremony in Major League Baseball history this Sunday at 7 p.m. ET.

“This virtual ring ceremony allows us to gather together remotely to share a moment of joy in these uncertain times,” managing principal owner Mark Lerner said. “We’ll be bringing fans up close and personal with the team in a way that wouldn't be possible in a typical ring ceremony.”

The date of the ceremony was selected for its place in the Nats' title run. On that evening a year ago, they began to turn around their 19-31 start with a 12-10 win over the Marlins. From there, they went on to finish the regular season with a 93-69 record.

Celebration to be simulcast on Nationals.com, MLB Network, MASN, Nationals' Facebook and YouTube channels

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1577 on: May 20, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »
Yes indeed! Geaux Nats!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1578 on: May 20, 2020, 01:48:55 PM »
Wonder what it'll look like? IMO it should have the Baby Shark on it! Would be fitting!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1579 on: May 20, 2020, 01:51:40 PM »
Meanwhile...

Astros block auction of 2017 World Series ring, despite proceeds going toward coronavirus causes

Maybe the Astros could have a "return your world series ring" ceremony.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1580 on: May 24, 2020, 11:17:29 AM »
So, now the Nationals are not going to get their WS rings today...

Initially, the team announced on Tuesday its plans for a virtual presentation of the rings. The format of the Sunday event has changed at the preference of the players to wait until they could receive their rings in person, the Nationals said in a statement on Saturday.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1581 on: May 24, 2020, 11:36:14 AM »
Darn.

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #1582 on: May 24, 2020, 11:49:08 AM »
In his press conference today Andrew Cuomo said teams can start to report for training camp.  I'm looking for details, I didn't hear if it was for baseball, basketball or NFL......but it's a good sign...I guess no fans, will they play crowd noise on the loud speakers?

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1583 on: May 25, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »
Well, I MISS watching my KC Royals on Tee-Vee!! I didn't miss the NBA cause I never watched them anyway, but I do watch college basketball, but that was nearly over, except for March Madness. If the MLB doesn't start up soon, it'll be a LONG Summer for me! Sports-wise anyway!  :o

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1584 on: May 25, 2020, 08:58:28 AM »
^^^^^ Well NASCAR has started back up sans fans and very reduced teams for the drivers and strict distancing rules. All the prerace things are played remotely on a big screen. The drivers cannot stay overnight in their motorhomes, getting to them 4 hours before the start of the race and cannot leave until it is time to get in the car. They can only be in contact with their teams remotely. The different teams have to work separately with no more than 5 on each team.  Masks are mandatory for EVERYONE.

There is only the CUP race on the weekends, the Xfinity and truck races are raced during the week, which is no problem since there are no fans attending.

Of course this is not helpful to those who are not NASCAR fans, which is everyone here besides me. :laugh:

I really have posted this as all the major sports teams are looking at what NASCAR is doing to help the other sports come up with what will work to get them all back to playing.
Nature has cunning ways of finding our weakest spot.
Call Me By Your Name

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1585 on: May 25, 2020, 01:25:00 PM »
Wonder what it'll look like? IMO it should have the Baby Shark on it! Would be fitting!

OMG, I was on to something...I love them for doing this:

The Natonals had their online program yesterday and they revealed the design of their World Series rings...
and the Baby Shark IS on it! This is great! (Not that I wanted to see L.A. losing 3 games to 2 games on there.  ??? )

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1586 on: May 25, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »
Well, I MISS watching my KC Royals on Tee-Vee!!

I miss MLB, too. I love the games of the week, watching different teams.
Listening to some on the radio. I miss Vin Scully on the radio, too!
There is a whole lot of missing things lately. Best not to dwell on it
too much, I suppose. But.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1587 on: May 25, 2020, 01:40:03 PM »

Details!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1588 on: May 25, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »

OMG, I was on to something...I love them for doing this:

The Natonals had their online program yesterday and they revealed the design of their World Series rings...
and the Baby Shark IS on it! This is great! (Not that I wanted to see L.A. losing 3 games to 2 games on there.  ??? )

First I've seen of the ring design, that's fantastic!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1589 on: May 25, 2020, 03:23:32 PM »
Details!

But Strasburg??!!

Surely they could have picked a more representative player from that season!

Unless of course it's a dig at him, then completely warranted!