The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 335435 times)

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #1635 on: June 23, 2020, 05:55:24 PM »
It looks like the noose has been there for several months, even before Wallace was assigned to that garage, and apparently a rope pull in the form of a noose, so it might be innocent.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1636 on: June 23, 2020, 06:04:15 PM »
I just don't get it.

Neither do I, Lyle. As all the drivers said, we still have a hell of a long way to go still!!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #1637 on: June 23, 2020, 06:07:09 PM »
It looks like the noose has been there for several months, even before Wallace was assigned to that garage, and apparently a rope pull in the form of a noose, so it might be innocent.

I find it a little suspect that there is this convenient explanation right after the Confederate Flag has been banned by NASCAR. It seems someone would have noticed this before now.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1638 on: June 24, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »

Play Ball: MLB announces 2020 regular season

Major League Baseball has officially announced a plan to return to play that features players reporting for training by July 1, leading up to a proposed 60-game regular-season schedule anticipated to begin on July 23 and 24.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-announces-2020-regular-season

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1639 on: June 24, 2020, 11:31:44 AM »

FAQ: All you need to know about 2020 season
https://www.mlb.com/news/faq-for-2020-baseball-season

20 reasons to be excited for the 2020 season
https://www.mlb.com/news/reasons-to-be-excited-for-2020-baseball-season

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1640 on: June 24, 2020, 11:39:28 AM »
Hoping it works out OK.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1641 on: June 24, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »

MLB hosts virtual panel discussion for Pride Month

https://www.mlb.com/news/working-out-at-mlb-pride-month-virtual-panel

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1642 on: June 24, 2020, 12:50:33 PM »

I haven't immersed myself in all the FAQ's and whatnot...but as to how the game will be played...a couple things have stood out to me...

They're going to use the DH rule in the National League. (AL already uses that. Though the universal DH for both 2020 and 2021 was part of a proposal rejected by the players, it remains a piece of the 2020 health and safety protocols. With an abbreviated "second Spring Training," an effort is being made not to overtax pitchers by having them hit. So for now, it is possible that the NL could return to its traditional rules with pitchers hitting again in 2021.

I don't like getting rid of that rule because it's a slope that might mean it's demise permanently at some point. I like it the way it is now because both sides of the issue get to have it their way.

They're also going to use a minor league rule for extra innings: With a tight schedule and a desire to limit time on the field, the Minor League rule for extra innings will be in effect. That means every half-inning after the ninth will begin with a runner on second base. The designated runner would be the player who made the final out in the prior half-inning (or a pinch-runner for that player), and the pitcher would not be charged with an earned run if that runner scores (it would be scored as if the runner had reached on an error). Please note that this rule is only in place for 2020 and only in effect for the regular season. Extra innings in the postseason would not begin with a runner on second.

That one isn't an issue because it's only for now.

There are two other rules that were to take effect this year, and one alteration, their status:

WILL NOT BE IN EFFECT THIS YEAR 1. Position players pitching: There was supposed to be a new restriction for 2020 that said position players could only pitch if the game was in extra innings or their team was ahead or trailing by more than six runs. There will be no such requirement for this season.

WILL BE IN EFFECT THIS YEAR 2. Three-batter minimum: This is an offseason rule change for 2020 that will remain. Relievers who enter the game must face at least three batters or finish an inning before being removed (with exceptions for injury or illness).

CHANGE FOR THIS YEAR 3. Suspended games:  If a game gets cut short due to weather before it becomes official (less than five innings), it will be continued at a later date instead, rather than started from scratch.

All that's just the start...who will be playing who and where they'll play and what happens if, are all in play. It's pretty meticulous so they've obviously been hard at work the last weeks trying to cover all the bases, so to speak.  ;)

Someone even wrote a what if article about the past decade:
What if recent MLB seasons had been 60 games?
https://www.mlb.com/news/recent-mlb-seasons-after-60-games

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1643 on: June 29, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »

Last year: There's no crying in baseball.
This year: There's no crying in baseball?

There's been no official word as to what's happening with the two MLB special events planned for 2020.

The annual All-Star Game scheduled to be in Los Angeles this year.

The Field of Dreams game scheduled in August between the Chicago White Sox and the Yankees.

Neither have been officially scheduled, cancelled or postponed.

It seems to me unlikely that they would play either of these "without" spectators.

If a 2021 MLB Season was back to normal, could they have two All-Star Games? (Did you know that from 1959-1962 MLB did have two All-Star games each season? See why here: https://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/sports/baseball/15sandomir.html?ref=sports )

The 2021 is scheduled for Atlanta. Would they have L.A. hold it in 2021 and push Atlanta's back a year. (No city is scheduled so far after Atlanta.) Or will L.A. get screwed again? (They remodeled and added new elements to the stadium this past off-season.) L.A. is the longest time between hosting the All Star game of any city and team. Some cities have hosted the All Star game 2 and 3 times since L.A. last did, 40 years ago! Back when Jimmy Carter was President.

As for the Field of Dreams game, they have continued all the work on it necessary to have the game played, so it'll just probably be "when" they would do it. If they did do it this year I predict it would likely be the most watched MLB baseball game in history. It would be the TV event of the year. Because there's very little sports on TV, or much of anything really new on TV and no preoccupation with much else.

However, as conceived, this game would count in the team standings of both the White Sox and Yankees. The 60 game seasons this year will include each team playing the other teams in their division 10 times, which accounts for 40 games. The other 20 games would be 4 games each with the teams in their same geographic region, meaning NL East plays the AL East Teams. The White Sox are in the Central Division.

So its unlikely to happen this year.

The Astros in Texas are in the Western Division, which means the Dodgers would play the Astros 4 times. The Astros sure got out of this season easy when they were going to be heckled and jeered at the start of the season for their admitted heating and who knows how long it would go on. With no fans in the stands they're going to escape it even further. Is there any justice? With a shortened season even their suspensions of the manager and operations manager seem superfluous.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1644 on: July 03, 2020, 01:06:16 PM »

"Welcome back, welcome back!"

MLB welcome back opening day commercial...
https://www.mlb.com/video/welcome-back-welcome-back?20200703/MLB

Notice the question mark in the link (welcome-back?). Heh! FWIW, one of our local sports writers insists MLB still might be cancelled
by the time three weeks comes around.

Nice to have a little hope, though.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1645 on: July 03, 2020, 01:14:18 PM »
No hope here, though...L.A.'s forty years of drought to host the All-Star Game will continue:

2020 All-Star Game Cancelled

Major League Baseball announced today that the 2020 All-Star Game, which was scheduled to be hosted by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the City of Los Angeles, is being cancelled. With the Atlanta Braves already named as host of the 2021 All-Star Game in Atlanta, the Dodgers will host the next available Midsummer Classic year after that.

Major League Baseball, the Los Angeles Dodgers, and the Dodgers Foundation (LADF) will still honor their commitment to four All-Star Legacy Projects totaling $1.7 million that were originally scheduled to be revealed leading into the All-Star Game this year, the four projects will be unveiled at another time in 2020 (or when it is safe to gather) and will benefit the communities of South Los Angeles, Downtown Skid Row, Lincoln Heights and Chinatown.

___

I had figured this would be cancelled, but I don't see why they can't push both the Dodgers and Atlanta's games back one year. instead of making L.A. the one to wait another two years. Atlanta's hosted twice since Los Angeles has. So the wait continues...42 years.

I wonder if fans can return all the All-Star Game souvenir merchandise that's been sold for the last year plus, for a refund?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1646 on: July 03, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »

I took a closer look at this picture...there is no such skyline in back of the stadium like that, I don't even think with a telephoto lens. The building behind the lightstand on the right is the Dororthy Chandler Pavilion. I don't even think with binoculars you could see it from the hill. The photo credit on the side says GET TV images. That's a retro TV channel as far as I know. Curious. If that is indeed somehow a real photo with some kind of telephoto lens, it's misleading at best. It was on a news page that I was reading about the cancellation, but not affiliated with MLB.

P.S.: I bought one of those All-Star game pins.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1647 on: July 03, 2020, 02:13:14 PM »

ETA:  That photo prompted me to search for other photos of Dodger stadium. There are some other telephoto views of Dodger stadium from the hills beyond the outfield parking lots, ones that bring the downtown view close, making it look like it's right outside, but they are very misleading. It's not a view anyone up at Dodger stadium would have without a camera lens like that.

Last night's clear and beautiful full moon made me think of that particular view up there!  Just gorgeous...and a gorgeous moon last night!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1648 on: July 04, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »

MLB, MLBPA reveal first COVID-19 test results
July 3, 2020

Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association jointly announced Friday the first set of results for the COVID-19 testing conducted as part of the mandatory Intake Screening process under MLB’s COVID-19 Health Monitoring & Testing Plan, prior to the workouts and full baseball activities that are beginning Friday. The independent Utah laboratory has reported the results through the first week of intake testing.

The total number of positive tests is 38, which is 1.2% of the 3,185 total samples collected and tested.
Thirty-one (31) of these 38 positives are players and seven (7) are staff members.
Nineteen (19) different Clubs, of thirty (30), have had one or more individuals test positive during intake testing.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1649 on: July 06, 2020, 06:38:36 PM »

Things are moving along despite uncertainties...

MLB Announces Full 60-Game Schedule Today

First up on opening night:              July 23rd
                                                   Nationals-Yankees 7 p.m. ET
                                                   Dodgers-Giants  7 p.m. PT

MLB announced Monday that the 60-game season will be held over the course of 67 days with Nationals vs. Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers vs. San Francisco Giants highlighting Opening Night before the rest of the league begins their respective campaigns the following day.