The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 97933 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #1785 on: September 10, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »

You could watch an MLB game on Youtube yesterday, so I had it on while I was doing things. It was the Brewers and Tigers and the Brewers won by a whopping 19-0!  Then last night that didn't even get mentioned on the sports news because the Atlanta Braves won a game from the Miami Marlins 29-9!

Today they said that this is the first time in 21 years an MLB game has had a score that's never been scored before. No MLB game has ever had a score of 29-9. There have been 12 games with a score of 19-0. (Or 13 if the chart below wasn't updated.) The records go back to 1871!

Turns out there's a chart for this: CLICK ON IT FOR A LARGER, EASY TO READ, VERSION

--The largest score on record is a pretty unbelievable 49-33 back when the records started in 1871.

--A 3-2 game is the score with the highest number of MLB games ever played with 11,976.

--Second, is a score of 4-3 with 11,650. No other score has 10,000 or more.

--You might wonder about the "ties". In the early days of baseball they would play to ties sometimes. Often a game was called a tie when it got too dark to play.

--There have been 9 other games recorded where a team has gotten 29 runs!

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1786 on: September 10, 2020, 01:43:00 PM »
Wow! Never saw a chart like that before.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1787 on: September 12, 2020, 01:41:02 PM »

The only Division not to have a Covid problem since the start of play now has one. The San Francisco Giants in the National League West had someone in the organization test positive right before the start of play last night with the San Diego Padres. While that is sorted it out it means at least two days of games being suspended for both those teams.

The Dodgers have played all their ten games with the Giants. We have three more important ones with the surging Padres next week. Today, we are actually playing the dreaded Houston Astros here for two games. The radio announcers keep hinting there are going to be some "trash can cut-outs" in the stands. I kinda hope they do not do that. I just hope the Dodgers play well (the last three games they have played very messy. Messily? They won 2 (in extra innings) of 3 anyway, but made a huge amount of errors and left a few dozen guys stranded on base. And Arizona is in last place.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1788 on: September 12, 2020, 01:41:31 PM »
MLB has released a play-off and World Series schedule today that has to be approved by the players association.  I'm not sure about the Wild Card round first, but the next rounds would all be played with no travel days in 4 stadiums: San Diego, Los Angeles, Arlington (TX) and Houston. MLB did not want rain or snow to be ANY factor.  L.A. and San Diego are open-air. Houston and Arlington are stadiums with roofs that can be open or closed.

BUT: CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS?  The World Series plan they came up with was originally going to be played in the Houston, Astros stadium. All 7 games. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea after their cheating scandal? I don't think it's a good idea they are used at all, but hey. The two Texas stadiums are close enough to one another, so that's why.  As for San Diego and L.A., they are not that close to one another, why the Angels stadium in Anaheim wasn't the other one...I don't know.

In any case, it still has to be approved and we'll see where it all goes.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #1789 on: September 12, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »
I hope they play it wherever there isn't a natural disaster going on, hurricanes or Wild FIRES!!!  :o :o :o

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1790 on: September 12, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
I hope they play it wherever there isn't a natural disaster going on, hurricanes or Wild FIRES!!!  :o :o :o

the way this year is going, I don't know if there is such a place.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1791 on: September 13, 2020, 01:16:41 PM »
The only Division not to have a Covid problem since the start of play now has one. The San Francisco Giants in the National League West had someone in the organization test positive right before the start of play last night with the San Diego Padres. While that is sorted it out it means at least two days of games being suspended for both those teams.

UPDATE: The Giants and Padres are going to play a double-header today because the Covid test in question was a false positive.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1792 on: September 13, 2020, 01:17:26 PM »
Today, we are actually playing the dreaded Houston Astros here for two games. The radio announcers keep hinting there are going to be some "trash can cut-outs" in the stands. I kinda hope they do not do that. I just hope the Dodgers play well (the last three games they have played very messy. Messily? They won 2 (in extra innings) of 3 anyway, but made a huge amount of errors and left a few dozen guys stranded on base. And Arizona is in last place.

The game here in Los Angeles was nearly cancelled yesterday because of the air quality. Smoke's been in the air all week because of the fire east of here. A fire that was started because of a gender reveal party where the proud parents set off an explosive that sparked the wild fire that is still not under control. Dear Baby: Your parents are idiots, hope you aren't, too. The air was sufficient enough I guess and it was deemed the game could be played by the evening start time.

Though fans aren't allowed in the stadium, it didn't stop a group of fans from gathering on the hill at the intersection below the entrance to Dodger stadium and trolling the Astros players buses as they passed by and cheering on arriving Dodger players.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1793 on: September 13, 2020, 01:17:52 PM »
And someone hired a plane to carry a banner across the smoky sky over the stadium...

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1794 on: September 13, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »
Dodger fans may well have wished the game was cancelled.

The Astros got a run in the top of the first. In the 2nd the Dodgers scored 3 and got another in the 3rd and the 5th. We were doing well and in the top of the ninth, score 5-2, we sent in our closer. He blew it big time. He got two runners on base, the third doubled in two runs. That wasn't the end. Why our manager didn't take him out sooner...well why? By the time he took him out the score was 6-5. The next pitcher faced three batters and got three outs, but one of those was a sacrifice fly and another run scored making it 7-5, the final score. And I can't tell you how angry fans were seeing that meltdown and especially seeing those Astro faces all happy and rubbing it in. Why?

...sigh...

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1795 on: September 13, 2020, 02:31:16 PM »
Well, Lyle, just for you, and only for you, I'm rooting for the Dodgers this year. I never thought I'd ever say that again.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #1796 on: September 13, 2020, 04:05:28 PM »

So, the trash-talkin' goes on even when they can't get in the arena.   :laugh:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1797 on: September 14, 2020, 11:15:28 AM »
Well, Lyle, just for you, and only for you, I'm rooting for the Dodgers this year. I never thought I'd ever say that again.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I do appreciate it, Fritz!  And I know how hard it is for you to write that!  Heh!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:32:57 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #1798 on: September 14, 2020, 11:32:06 AM »
So, the trash-talkin' goes on even when they can't get in the arena.   :laugh:

And someone hired a plane to carry a banner across the smoky sky over the stadium...

Yesterday, Sunday, there were THREE banners flying over Dodger Stadium to troll the Astros.
Two of them were paid for by a GoFundMe page (one by an Atlanta Dodger fan) and the extra
funds were donated to the Dodgers Team charity.

As one of the banner sponsors said:

"Everything with the 2017 series hurt, even without the cheating and then you add the cheating and it just really hurt," Yontz said. "And I think part of the hurt continues because there wasn't really any closure because, in my opinion, Commissioner Manfred's punishment on the players side was nonexistent. None of the players responsible were punished in any way in exchange for immunity if they talked to the investigators and the pandemic has allowed them all to remain in a bubble and not hear it from the fans in baseball stadiums all over the country who were ready to unleash on them. They're even getting away with that."

Exactly.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #1799 on: September 14, 2020, 11:55:19 AM »
My distaste for the Astros (or any Houston team) has more to do with the city itself (the way they've treated New Orleans since the 60's), but I'm glad to see that it's entirely justified!  :laugh: