The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 330085 times)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #2190 on: May 01, 2021, 11:50:31 AM »
Chuck, my friend who works at a high-end restaurant in Beverly Hills, that just recently opened back up a week ago after closed more than a year, said that Michelle Kwan was in there a couple nights ago.

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2191 on: May 01, 2021, 12:32:32 PM »
Chuck, my friend who works at a high-end restaurant in Beverly Hills, that just recently opened back up a week ago after closed more than a year, said that Michelle Kwan was in there a couple nights ago.

Oh, that is soooo cool!

I consider Michelle Kwan one of the G.O.A.Ts of the sport of figure skating.   For those who don't know, G.O.A.T is "greatest of all time". 

Most figure skaters seem to be around for a 4 year cycle, always retiring after an Olympic year.

Michelle Kwan made her senior level debut in 1993 (her coach, Frank Carroll advised against taking the test to become a senior level skater, Michelle did it behind his back).  1996 was her breakthrough year, winning the gold medal at Skate America, Skate Canada, Nations Cup (Germany), US National Championships, the Grand Prix final, and the World Championships.

Michelle never won a gold medal at the Olympics, she was denied at both Olympics by young upstarts who quickly retired and faded away (Tara Lipinski & Sarah Hughes).

Michelle's competitive years ranged from 1993 to 2005.   In those 12 years, Michelle won:

Goodwill Games:  2 silvers and 1 bronze
Trophée Lalique (France):  1 bronze and 1 gold
Skate Canada:  3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze
Skate America:  7 gold, 1 silver
Nations Cup (Germany): 1 gold
Grand Prix Final:  1 gold, 4 silver
World Championships:  5 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze, and 2 fourth place finishes.  Her last appearance, she finished fourth, just missing the bronze medal by 0.37 points.
98 Olympics:  Silver Medal
02 Olympics:  Bronze Medal

She was very consistent in her skating, and was a quick learner.  Some skaters never learn how to interpret the music, how to mature their style.  Here are two examples to show how quickly Michelle evolved.  The videos are the short (2:30 minute) programs.  The first is her 1994 US Nationals program.   The second is also the US Nationals, just two years later.

What a huge difference in style and presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_rNkV3W_s   - age 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTm4pLuS1w  -  age 15
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:38:37 PM by CellarDweller115 »

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2192 on: May 01, 2021, 12:43:07 PM »
Ian Book will be quarterback for the Saints. A worthy successor of Drew Brees.

https://theathletic.com/news/nfl-draft-saints-take-notre-dame-qb-ian-book-in-round-4/KhHnsOOgzBh6

Geaux Saints! Geaux Irish!

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2193 on: May 01, 2021, 01:23:35 PM »

https://theathletic.com/news/nfl-draft-saints-take-notre-dame-qb-ian-book-in-round-4/KhHnsOOgzBh6

This is wonderful news, Fritz!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2194 on: May 01, 2021, 01:26:58 PM »
Oh, that is soooo cool!

I consider Michelle Kwan one of the G.O.A.Ts of the sport of figure skating.   For those who don't know, G.O.A.T is "greatest of all time". 

Most figure skaters seem to be around for a 4 year cycle, always retiring after an Olympic year.

Michelle Kwan made her senior level debut in 1993 (her coach, Frank Carroll advised against taking the test to become a senior level skater, Michelle did it behind his back).  1996 was her breakthrough year, winning the gold medal at Skate America, Skate Canada, Nations Cup (Germany), US National Championships, the Grand Prix final, and the World Championships.

Michelle never won a gold medal at the Olympics, she was denied at both Olympics by young upstarts who quickly retired and faded away (Tara Lipinski & Sarah Hughes).

Michelle's competitive years ranged from 1993 to 2005.   In those 12 years, Michelle won:

Goodwill Games:  2 silvers and 1 bronze
Trophée Lalique (France):  1 bronze and 1 gold
Skate Canada:  3 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze
Skate America:  7 gold, 1 silver
Nations Cup (Germany): 1 gold
Grand Prix Final:  1 gold, 4 silver
World Championships:  5 gold, 3 silver, 1 bronze, and 2 fourth place finishes.  Her last appearance, she finished fourth, just missing the bronze medal by 0.37 points.
98 Olympics:  Silver Medal
02 Olympics:  Bronze Medal

She was very consistent in her skating, and was a quick learner.  Some skaters never learn how to interpret the music, how to mature their style.  Here are two examples to show how quickly Michelle evolved.  The videos are the short (2:30 minute) programs.  The first is her 1994 US Nationals program.   The second is also the US Nationals, just two years later.

What a huge difference in style and presentation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o_rNkV3W_s   - age 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTm4pLuS1w  -  age 15

I have just always felt that women's ice skating was so much more elegant and refined back then. Now these are just my opinions and feelings, but today it seems too technical and robotic. For me the elegance is missing.
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Online CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2195 on: May 01, 2021, 02:10:43 PM »
I have just always felt that women's ice skating was so much more elegant and refined back then. Now these are just my opinions and feelings, but today it seems too technical and robotic. For me the elegance is missing.

Trust me, you're not the only one who feels that way.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2196 on: May 01, 2021, 03:51:20 PM »

Why didn't they just take Aaron Rodgers?! Apparently he's 'on the Market' now!  :o :o :o

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2197 on: May 01, 2021, 06:09:42 PM »
Why didn't they just take Aaron Rodgers?! Apparently he's 'on the Market' now!  :o :o :o

I do wish he'd appear shirtless more often.

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2198 on: May 01, 2021, 07:34:38 PM »

Trust me, you're not the only one who feels that way.

Oh good. I thought it was just me.
... Kierkegaard

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2199 on: May 02, 2021, 05:11:35 PM »
Dang it, anyway!!  >:( :( ??? :"> :'(

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2200 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:05 AM »
KC loses, again! Oh, MY!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2201 on: May 04, 2021, 09:13:43 AM »
It sounds like KC is up and down this year.
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2202 on: May 04, 2021, 02:32:34 PM »

Even so, Jonn, you and Fritz can share the fact that your teams are in 1st place today!
___

Dodgers have the same amount of wins as the first place team, but have an extra loss.
I was hoping to be included in the first place line, but our 1st game in Chicago was rained
out yesterday, so we're playing two of those 7 inning double headers today with the Cubs.

How do you guys feels about playing 7 inning double headers instead of regulation 9 innings?

Even though we're currently at sea level, the last two weeks the Dodgers have averaged 1 new
person on the IL every day. A lot of pitchers. Our starter Dustin May didn't even last two innings
on Sunday and now is OUT for the whole season plus most of next season. Now that's being on
the IL.  :o  Ugh! I need some good news.

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2203 on: May 04, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »
 ;D

It helps to be in a (so far) relatively weak division.

The fewer innings in a double header, I guess something to be put up with to move things along, I guess.

Offline Flyboy

• Obsessed
« Reply #2204 on: May 04, 2021, 04:00:39 PM »
Even so, Jonn, you and Fritz can share the fact that your teams are in 1st place today!
___

Dodgers have the same amount of wins as the first place team, but have an extra loss.
I was hoping to be included in the first place line, but our 1st game in Chicago was rained
out yesterday, so we're playing two of those 7 inning double headers today with the Cubs.

How do you guys feels about playing 7 inning double headers instead of regulation 9 innings?

Even though we're currently at sea level, the last two weeks the Dodgers have averaged 1 new
person on the IL every day. A lot of pitchers. Our starter Dustin May didn't even last two innings
on Sunday and now is OUT for the whole season plus most of next season. Now that's being on
the IL.  :o  Ugh! I need some good news.
I think they should play the whole 9 innings in both games. I can't even remember when they changed that, this year?