The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 329722 times)

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #2385 on: July 21, 2021, 05:30:13 PM »
KC Royals win a few...........WOW! Who knew?  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2386 on: July 23, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »

Cleveland's MLB team is Now the Guardians
...and fans made so many 'Guardians of the Galaxy' jokes
https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/cleveland-guardians

After a year of considering a new name change and moving on from the “Indians” nickname, Cleveland’s MLB team will be known as … the Guardians.

That was one of the names fans seemed excited about a year ago, especially because the Guardians are some Art Deco statues on the Hope Memorial Bridge. And while some folks in Ohio may have wanted another name — if you’re me and you like dad jokes, I wanted Cleveland Rocks — the Guardians is a great name.

Of course, many fans were having fun with the name because of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies...for example, one Twitter follower said: "If they don't sing 'Let me Groot, Groot, Groot for the home team' during 'Take me out to the ballgame' I'm gonna be furious."

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2387 on: July 23, 2021, 11:29:43 AM »
I'm still wondering what the DC football team will finally choose for its nickname.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2388 on: July 23, 2021, 11:39:48 AM »
Last Sunday, the Dodgers were playing the Rockies in Colorado. If we won the game we would've been tied for first place with San Francisco. Our closer, Kenley Jansen, who has been problematic off and on the past couple years, was doing really well this year, but he blew the save and we remained 1 game back of the Giants.

We then came back to L.A. for a 4 game home series with...the Giants. So, by this morning, the Dodgers could've been anywhere from THREE games in 1st Place to FIVE games behind SF. We lost Monday. (2 games behind.) (Should I also mention that during that game the SF pitcher hit THREE of our best players, Pollock, Muncy and Turner and two of them had contusions and had to leave the game.) On Tuesday, in dramatic fashion in the 9th inning we walked it off and won. (1 game behind.) On Wednesday, our closer, Kenley Jansen, again blew a one run lead in the 9th inning and SF returned the favor from the previous night. I don't think in these situations any player should be booed, but Jansen was booed off the field. (2 games behind.) Last night the game was tied until the 6th inning, I believe and we scored 2 and going into the 9th inning it was 3-1 Dodgers. Our manager brought in Kenley Jansen again. (The fans were as nervous and jumpy as chickens on an electrified fence.) We got one out quickly. A second out, not so quickly. A third out at second appeared to end the game, but SF asked for a replay and it was overturned. Bases loaded. The next batter came up and got to a 3 balls - 2 strikes count and:

A Horrible Umpire Call on a Checked Swing
Cost the Dodgers a Crucial Game vs. Giants

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/giants-dodgers-darin-ruf-check-swing-blown-call

Does this look like a checked swing to you?

Budweiser is the only thing happy about that photo. That call walked in a run.
Dodgers now 3 games behind, instead of 1 game behind where we started the series.
NOT HAPPY.  >:( >:D >:(

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2389 on: July 23, 2021, 11:43:19 AM »
NOT HAPPY.

Frankly...I'm not happy about anything right now.
...sigh...

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2390 on: July 23, 2021, 03:49:52 PM »
One of the eight Guardians of Traffic on the Hope Memorial Bridge, where the name comes from.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2391 on: July 24, 2021, 02:15:27 PM »

Because all of the news for over a year about the Tokyo 2020 Olympics has been about the postponement and COVID issues and such, coupled with what I wrote on another thread...

[...]

I have noticed the usual media coverage has arisen the past couple weeks before these Olympics, where everything negative that can be said about hosting an Olympics and about the problems of the city and/or country that's doing the hosting are intricately spotlighted.

Of course, COVID is a particularly unique problem this time around. The other big attention getter is to wrap Global Warming around these Olympics and the dangers of competing in the higher heat and humidity in Tokyo with some news outlets reporting the athletes will be subjected to intense heat and humidity.

[...]

It all seemed like a downer and I hadn't even planned any watching, even the Opening Ceremonies. And, in fact, I was confused on Wednesday or Thursday when I heard some competition results and I thought maybe they'd already begun. I did have the TV on last night, Friday evening, and NBC was starting the ceremonies so I left it on. I was quite entertained by the whole thing. Despite all the problems, the opening ceremonies were all kinds of things. Foremost, they were entertaining. There were the welcome traditional things like the Olympic Theme which I find beautiful, the flag raising and the lighting of the flame. There was spectacle...a globe floating above the stadium?!!! There was much humor, like the imaginative recreation of each Olympic sport symbol. They had a short segment about unveiling what is the new Olympic motto. It used to be three words: The International Olympic Committee decided upon the change with the new motto being, "Faster, Higher, Stronger." It is now "Faster, Higher, Stronger - Together."  And in the world we're in now it seemed so appropriate and it was followed by a beautiful staging of the song "Imagine."

I found myself quite moved and, at the end, I had more hope in my heart than I have in a long time. That's one thing the parade of athletes from every nation does. You can't help feel this with seeing so many youthful, eager, energetic and optimistic participants filled with pride and joy.

I also enjoy seeing how each group entering the stadium is dressed. I always find that a great world wide fashion show! They were all wearing masks this time, though, which took away from seeing all the good looking people. (Oh, that half-naked greased up Tonga guy was there again! Without a mask.)

Every Olympics they have a chosen flag-bearer for the country. This year they had both a male and female athlete from each team be the flag bearers. It might stay for future Olympics. The NBC hosts thought it was great, but I didn't because those flags are not meant to be carried by two people and it was very awkward with two people trying to wave it and hang onto it together, especially if they were of various heights. Why not one for the opening and one for the closing?

I am glad that I happened to come across this and did watch it. I usually make a point of it, but I had not this time.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2392 on: July 24, 2021, 02:17:25 PM »
There was spectacle...a globe floating above the stadium?!!!

Apparently this was accomplished with the use of over 1,000 drones!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2393 on: July 24, 2021, 05:53:16 PM »
Apparently this was accomplished with the use of over 1,000 drones!

Yup, those were drones.   If you go to YouTube and search "Drone Light Show" you'll see some amazing displays made up of hundreds or thousands of drones.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2394 on: July 24, 2021, 08:13:36 PM »

Planning ahead...

Brisbane Picked to Host Summer Olympics Following Los Angeles and Paris
https://apnews.com/article/sports-brisbane-australia-cbaf0d0e504b8bb3861f35c2876b7bbb

It was announced in Tokyo this past Wednesday that Brisbane is the IOC's next choice in line for the Summer Olympics host duties, the inevitable winner of a one-city race steered by the IOC to avoid rival bids. The first-time format was designed to cut campaign costs, give the IOC more control in dealing discreetly with preferred candidates and removed the risk of vote-buying. The first-time format was designed to cut campaign costs, give the IOC more control in dealing discreetly with preferred candidates and removed the risk of vote-buying.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2395 on: July 24, 2021, 08:25:41 PM »
Why There Are Few Openly Gay Athletes In Men's Professional Sports

By Joe Hernandez - July 21, 2021

When Nashville Predators prospect Luke Prokop came out this week, it was the first time an active player under contract to an NHL team had ever publicly acknowledged they were gay.

Overnight, Prokop's announcement doubled the number of out gay athletes currently playing in the country's four major men's sports — football, basketball, baseball and hockey. Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib came out last month.

The back-to-back announcements were met with an outpouring of support from fellow players, teams, league officials and fans.

They also highlighted the dearth of openly gay players in the hypermasculine world of U.S. men's professional sports, often dubbed "the last closet" for its lack of LGBTQ representation. Though many retired former players have come out, it is more unusual for male professional athletes to say they are gay while still playing.

https://www.npr.org/2021/07/21/1018404859/openly-gay-athletes-in-mens-pro-sports-few

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2396 on: July 24, 2021, 08:39:04 PM »

This guy just won the USA's first Olympic Gold Medal in the 400mm IM.

Chase Kalisz

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2397 on: July 24, 2021, 08:40:10 PM »
One of these guys is Jay Litherland and won the Silver Medal, but I don't know which one. He's a triplet!

They live in the U.S., but he was apparently born a few miles from Tokyo. American father, Japanese mother.
(So, I presume the other two were born there as well! :laugh: )

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2398 on: July 25, 2021, 05:19:34 PM »

Here's a link to the Olympic medal count, results as of 7:20pm today (7/25).

Near the bottom of the counter you can expand it to show the medal count for all the countries.  At the top you can toggle it show a list of the athletes that have won medals.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Olympics&oi=ddle&ct=174787927&hl=en&kgmid=%2Fm%2F05gj2h#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAOMwe8QYyi3w8sc9YSmfSWtOXmN04-IJLsgvKin2TU1JzCkWMuNiDU7OL0gV0hXS5hKASiWWJGe4F-WXFgiJc7EFpyYW5-cJ8Upxc3Hq5-obmKZnGWXwLGKV98-pzC3ITFZwT8xNLVYIyc-uzFcwMjAyUMgFGw0AzJgFiHwAAAA

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2399 on: July 26, 2021, 03:46:50 PM »
Britain's Tom Daley tells LGBTQ youth 'you are not alone' after taking gold at Tokyo Olympics

By Chantal Da Silva and Kate Brannelly - July 26, 2021

The British diver Tom Daley said Monday he hoped his gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics would be a shining example for the LGBTQ community that "you can achieve anything."

Daley and his diving partner, Matty Lee, swept to victory in the men's synchronized 10-meter platform event, with the British diver crying tears of joy at the podium. This is Daly's fourth Olympics and the first time he has taken a gold medal.

"I feel incredibly proud to say that I am a gay man and also an Olympic champion," he said. "And I feel very empowered by that because when I was younger, I thought I was never going to be anything, or achieve anything, because of who I was, and to be an Olympic champion now just shows that you can achieve anything."

Daley, 27, said he was glad to see a record-breaking number of openly out LGBTQ athletes participating in the Olympic Games this year.

However, he said that when he first came out in December 2013, he had "always felt like the one that was alone and different and didn't fit in."

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/britain-s-tom-daley-tells-lgbtq-youth-you-are-not-n1275007