The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 330049 times)

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #2400 on: July 26, 2021, 03:52:16 PM »
U.S. wins gold in men's and women's skeet shooting at Tokyo Games

JULY 26, 2021 -  AP

Vincent Hancock gave the United States a sweep at the Tokyo Olympics on Monday after becoming the first skeet shooter to win three gold medals.

Amber English won the women's event, knocking off reigning champion Diana Bacosi of Italy to bounce back after just missing the U.S. team for the 2012 and 2016 Games.

Hancock won his third gold about an hour later at Asaka Shooting Range, setting an Olympic record by hitting 59 of 60 targets to beat Jesper Hanen of Denmark by four.

Hancock captured gold in 2008 and 2012 but had a disappointing finish at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games. The 38-year-old from Fort Worth, Texas, hit his first 26 targets in the Tokyo final and closed with 34 straight.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tokyo-olympics-skeet-shooting-us-gold-mens-women-vincent-hancock-amber-english/

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2401 on: July 26, 2021, 05:38:38 PM »
Tom Daley is such an impressive young man.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2402 on: July 26, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »
Yes, he is.   Such a great role model for young LGBT people.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2403 on: July 27, 2021, 11:33:06 AM »

Congrats to T.D.! One commentator i heard on TV yesterday said, "Now Tom has an Olympic Gold Medal to go with his husband's gold Oscar."   :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2404 on: July 27, 2021, 12:52:41 PM »
USA's Lilly King won the 100 meter breaststroke event in 2016 in Rio and was the heavy favorite to win it this time. But, in a thrilling race, 17 year old Lydia Jacoby, from Seward Alaska, scored a major upset and became Alaska's first ever Swimming Olympic Medalist. And only the 10th ever Olympic participant ever born in Alaska. One commentator said that the entire state of Alaska only has one Olympic regulation pool that she could train at.

If you're inclined, watch the event. Leading up to the win the top three were exchanging less than 1/10th of a second back and forth between them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXfOaRqcOKE

Watch Jacoby's classmates go berserk in a viewing party in Alaska:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aGpfq-Ld_4

One thing watching these Olympics has given me is some joy watching people that are happy to be there, happy to be competing and enjoying themselves with others happy for their accomplishments. We have not been exposed to much of these kinds of things on the news the past months and months. It's very welcome IMO.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2405 on: July 27, 2021, 01:11:19 PM »

Meanwhile, 33 year old Flora Duffy won Bermuda its first-ever Gold Medal on Tuesday morning, as she finished first in the women's triathlon!
___

I have been to Bermuda; I was 17!  Has anyone else ever been there?

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2406 on: July 27, 2021, 04:45:29 PM »

Well, the big news at the Olympics now is all about Simone Biles.

Why Simone Biles withdrew from the Olympic women's gymnastics team final -- 'You have to be 100%'

Alyssa Roenigk - 07/27/2021

One vault, and Simone Biles' night ended.

The final U.S. gymnast to compete during the first rotation in Tuesday's Olympic women's team finals, Biles opened early on an Amanar and seemed to lose where she was in the air. The best vaulter in the world landed low on what became a Yurchenko 1½ (instead of 2½) and took a massive step forward.

Afterward, she sat with the team doctor, surrounded by her teammates, and shook her head. "I'm fine," she said multiple times before leaving the arena.

If Biles is known for anything, it is her technical superiority and air awareness. What happened on vault was incredibly out of character, but Biles would know better than anyone else that her misfire was more than a fluke. Her routines are so difficult and the skills she performs so dangerous that had she continued to compete with her mindset shaken, she risked catastrophic injury.

"You have to be there 100%," Biles told reporters after the meet. "If not, you get hurt. Today has been really stressful. I was shaking. I couldn't nap. I have never felt like this going into a competition, and I tried to go out and have fun. But once I came out, I was like, 'No. My mental is not there.'"

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31897727/why-simone-biles-withdrew-team-final-be-100-percent

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2407 on: July 28, 2021, 02:17:56 PM »
"You have to be there 100%," Biles told reporters after the meet. "If not, you get hurt. Today has been really stressful. I was shaking. I couldn't nap. I have never felt like this going into a competition, and I tried to go out and have fun. But once I came out, I was like, 'No. My mental is not there.'"

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/31897727/why-simone-biles-withdrew-team-final-be-100-percent

I think her self-awareness is great. It would have been really tragic if she had been seriously hurt.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2408 on: July 28, 2021, 06:54:50 PM »
At some point in the past week or so, KC had the winningest streak in MLB! You have to take what crumbs you can get when your Win record sucks sooooooo BAD!!  ;D ;) :P :laugh:

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2409 on: July 29, 2021, 06:39:11 PM »
A record number of out athletes are competing — and winning — at this year's Olympic Games.

The Summer Olympic Games in Tokyo are finally underway — and with a record number of LGBTQ+ athletes!

While they are happy to compete as out athletes, their focus is on bringing home medals for their teams and countries, and so far, there have been 10 medals awarded to LGBTQ+ athletes, with plenty more sure to come! The most recent LGBTQ+ Olympian medalist is rower Katarzyna Zillmann of Team Poland who took home silver in the Women’s team quadruple sculls event. Congratulations, Katarzyna!

Here are all the athletes who’ve won a medal (so far) at the Tokyo Olympics.

https://www.out.com/sports/2021/7/27/all-lgbtq-olympians-whove-won-medals-tokyo-games-so-far?fbclid=IwAR32V4Q2eSXD3FJblqzbZh2SdXtX7kDPuX8cdedtfnio22K0xcCeDj-KZbY#media-gallery-media-3

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2410 on: July 30, 2021, 11:48:56 AM »
^^^

Thanks for that, Chuck, that was interesting.

I was thinking, it's fine for the Outsports site as it's focus is LGBT Olympians, but I have read and seen several spots about Tom Daley winning a Gold Medal and even though he is well-known from past Olympics and such, his "synchronized" teammate doesn't ever get mentioned. They should write "Tom Daley and his diving partner Matty Lee, won Gold Medals" etc.

Anyway, I liked that in Gold Medal Ceremony, when they held the medals up on the tray for the athletes, because this year the athletes themselves put on their own medals, that Tom and Matty put their medals around each others necks. That was great.

(It's hard to find ANY footage of the medal ceremonies on youtube or anyplace, else. Does the IOCC forbid it or something. I rarely even see it on the Olympic coverage.)

Here's a cool interview with Matty Lee, though, from a British morning show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfGJjj9yQv4

(The Olympic photos and video they show are blurred. ? IOCC or something?)

Anyway. These two are great!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2411 on: July 30, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »

MLB musical chairs...it's that time of year...last day for MLB trades...

Well, Jonn and Fritz, it looks like the Dodgers have just acquired players from your teams. Danny Duffy from the Royals and both Trea Turner and Max Scherzer from the Nationals, whom both the Giants and Padres were after.
ow we have two Turners!

And the Yankees just got hot hitting Joey Gallo from the Rangers and Anthony Rizzo from the Cubs. Former Cub Kyle Schwarber went to the Red Sox from the Nationals, who also sent their WS hero Daniel Hudson to the Padres. 

Who's (and/or what's) next?

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2412 on: July 30, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »
Yep, looks like the Nats leadership has given up.

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2413 on: July 30, 2021, 03:50:14 PM »
Don't know what to tell you, Lyle! Good luck with Duffy. KC has dug out of last place now, more digging to go!! :o :o :o :laugh: :P

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2414 on: July 30, 2021, 04:05:24 PM »
MLB musical chairs...it's that time of year...last day for MLB trades...

Well, Jonn and Fritz, it looks like the Dodgers have just acquired players from your teams. Danny Duffy from the Royals and both Trea Turner and Max Scherzer from the Nationals, whom both the Giants and Padres were after.
ow we have two Turners!

And the Yankees just got hot hitting Joey Gallo from the Rangers and Anthony Rizzo from the Cubs. Former Cub Kyle Schwarber went to the Red Sox from the Nationals, who also sent their WS hero Daniel Hudson to the Padres. 

Who's (and/or what's) next?