The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 330015 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #2955 on: May 09, 2022, 11:26:32 AM »
So...I'm putting myself back in high school and thinking if this ever happened to me there'd be no way I'd keep quiet about it. I don't get why things happen to people and they keep quiet about it until years later. I had a legitimate quarrel with a school official in my high school years and I went to a school board meeting and brought up the issue. (It was not anything to do with physical abuse.)

Seriously, what happened? Did they do anything about it?

When I was in high school, I had a beef about a class I was assigned to. I asked my mother to call the school. She started to lecture me on standing up for myself, but when she paused, I said, "But, Mother, they never do anything about it unless a parent complains."

A few moments of dead silence. ...

Then, "I guess you're right."

Honestly, that was almost 50 years ago now, and I don't remember how it played out--if my mother called the school, or not--but I think I didn't get changed to another class. The class was only one semester anyway.

(Yes, I called my mother "Mother," not "Mom." )
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 07:38:53 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2956 on: May 09, 2022, 11:27:19 AM »
Anybody watch the derby?

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2957 on: May 09, 2022, 01:17:15 PM »
Lyle, I expect you know about this alread.

https://www.outsports.com/2022/5/9/23064053/los-angeles-dodgers-san-francisco-giants-pride-cap

Didn't watch the Derby, but having such a long shot win meant it must have been exciting. I really haven't watched it since a horse was competing who was owned by a friend of a friend quite a few years ago. He didn't win.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2958 on: May 09, 2022, 02:07:34 PM »
Didn't watch the Derby, but having such a long shot win meant it must have been exciting. I really haven't watched it since a horse was competing who was owned by a friend of a friend quite a few years ago. He didn't win.

I wasn't paying that much attention until the horses actually ran, but it was pretty amazing to watch Rich Strike pull ahead like he did.

In an interview I saw this morning, the trainer was calling the horse "Richie."  :D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2959 on: May 09, 2022, 02:28:55 PM »
Lyle, I expect you know about this already.

https://www.outsports.com/2022/5/9/23064053/los-angeles-dodgers-san-francisco-giants-pride-cap

^^^

I admit I DID NOT know about this Fritz! I did know L.A.'s Pride Game is on June 3rd with the Mets and if you buy a Pride ticket you get this baseball jersey:

I wish Chris Taylor would come out that night.  :)

The Dodgers wearing the Pride Cap, too, apparently was just announced today and that it will be available to purchase the June 3rd weekend at the stadium as well, while supplies last, of course. (I'm going to try and see if you can get one online.)

On the jersey is #22, which is the year, but it's also Clayton Kershaw's uniform number.

Wish I could go to the San Francisco game for the two Pride cap wearing teams; would be a nice weekend!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 02:42:00 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2960 on: May 09, 2022, 02:34:50 PM »

I should say that most school board meetings weren't attended by the public. And, NO, they didn't do a thing. In fact, they knew I would be there and they kept me waiting until they did everything else imaginable for two hours, or whatever. I think they were hoping I'd leave. Most of this I've put out of my mind and I was just trying to stand up for our class when everyone knew what was happening, and this was a way to get it on record. It was about the school principal's arbitrary issuances being followed blindly when he was just being an a-hole. If I recall correctly!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2961 on: May 09, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »

When I was in high school, I had a beef about a class I was assigned to. I asked my mother to call the school. She started to lecture me on standing up for myself, but when she paused, I said, "But, Mother, they never do anything about it unless a parent complains."

A few moments of dead silence. ...

Then, "I guess you're right."

Honestly, that was almost 50 years ago now, and I don't remember how it played out--if my mother called the school, or not--but I think I didn't get changed to another class. The class was only one semester anyway.

(Yes, I called my mother "Mother," not "Mom." )

We called our mom 'Mother' as well. But we called my dad ''Daddy'
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2962 on: May 18, 2022, 10:18:32 AM »
Occasionally I mention the names of baseball teams, other than MLB teams, when their team names are unusual, weird, amusing or what have you. Today I came across this line in an article: "On Tuesday afternoon, the Tulsa Drillers slugged nine dingers against the Amarillo Sod Poodles."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2963 on: May 18, 2022, 10:32:49 AM »
So, I did a bit of research to see how that name was chosen. According to an article about the team which came to be in 2018, I read this: "Sod poodle is apparently an old-fashioned nickname for a prairie dog*, and the name was 'designed to cause a ruckus,' says the sports-marketing company that helped create it."

*Although the article also says: "Supposedly, sod poodle is an archaic nickname for a prairie dog, although no one but people with the baseball team seems to have ever heard it before."

The five finalists were the Long Haulers, the Bronc Busters, the Boot Scooters, the Jerky and the Sod Poodles.

(I kinda like the Boot Scooters.)

The marketing company's head (Klein) has worked with dozens of minor league ball clubs, and his company has a penchant for outlandish names, including the Hartford Yard Goats, the Binghamton Rumble Ponies and, most recently, the Rocket City Trash Pandas. He says it’s all part of a strategy. “People always ask us, ‘Isn’t it the worst thing when someone hates what you create?’ and we say, ‘No. The worst thing is if they’re apathetic about it,'” Klein says.

The Sod Poodle's logo:

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2964 on: May 18, 2022, 10:55:18 AM »
Why not?

But I had to look at the logo closely to figure out which was the nose end.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline BlueAmber63

• Striped socks and dusty shoes
  • Obsessed
« Reply #2965 on: June 01, 2022, 07:44:36 PM »
I thought Chuck would appreciate this !!  :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJaXXgJStRE
Wanting him to come back... before anyone notices
part of the world has not moved...since he left.

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #2966 on: June 01, 2022, 08:19:12 PM »
I've actually seen that performance live.  :laugh:

In the late 90s and early 00s, I regularly went to see "Champions On Ice", and that's where he performed that routine.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2967 on: June 02, 2022, 03:33:22 PM »
Dodgers Pride Night

Dodgers Have Sold Over 15k Pride Night Tickets, Shattering Pro-Sports Record
by Cyd Zeigler | Outsports

The L.A. Dodgers annually host the largest Pride Night in all of sports. Their game on June 3 will set another record. Given Dodger Stadium’s capacity of about 56,000, that means that as of a week ago, May 26th, over a quarter of the entire stadium will have bought Pride Night ticket packages, over a week ahead of the game which is tomorrow, June 3rd.

Glenn Burke Honored
The life and times of Glenn Burke are too big to squeeze into one night, but the Los Angeles Dodgers are finally giving it their best shot. Burke played parts of three seasons with the Dodgers and was part of their 1977 World Series team. In staging their ninth annual LGBTQ+ Pride Night, they will celebrate their former outfielder — and the first major leaguer to have come out as gay — on Friday during their series with the Mets. In all, more than 40 of Burke’s family and friends are expected to be at Dodger Stadium: 3 of Burke’s sisters (Lutha, Joyce, Paula), his lone brother (Sidney), 13 nephews, 9 nieces and assorted friends.

The Burke family will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Burke was traded to the Oakland A's after he was with the Dodgers. Although he was shunned there and subsequently forced out of baseball, the Oakland A's, as of last year, have named their Pride Night in honor of Burke.

I think the Dodgers should do that, too! A nice giveaway for a Pride Night would be a new Glenn Burke baseball card!

Offline killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2968 on: June 02, 2022, 09:14:50 PM »
Lyle you might appreciate the stats for the second game of the Pac12 tournament between UCLA and Oregon State University Saturday afternoon. The double elimination game winner, went on the meet Sanford in the Pac12 championship game.

At the bottom of the 9th inning, UCLA was behind 21-12. By the end of regulation play, the game was tied 21-21. In the bottom of the 10th inning with two outs, UCLA was behind by 1 run. UCLA hit a 3 run homer winning the game 25-22.

Here are the stats:

⚾ 47 combined runs
⚾ 53 combined hits
⚾ 527 pitches thrown by 16 pitchers
⚾ 20 walks
⚾ 79 base runners
⚾ 26 different players had at least one at bat
⚾ Time of game: 5 hours, 44 minutes
⚾ 9-run, 9th inning comeback by UCLA
⚾ game-tying balk in extras
⚾ Walk-off three-run HR from Tommy Beres

Since this win by UCLA gave each team a win, they had to play a double header the same night because the Pac12 championship game against Stanford was the next morning. They had a 45 minute break and started the third game.

IT WAS SO MUCH FUN TO WATCH!!!!

Oh and a Michigan pitcher was ejected from the game with Iowa, as he got caught with a foreign substance in his glove. He can't play for 4 games.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 09:33:48 PM by killersmom »
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2969 on: June 03, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »

Thanks Linda! I happened to read an article about that double header and saw some video clips, but those additional details you provided are insane!

I can't imagine the UCLA high of winning a game like that, and no time to savor it with a second game almost immediately that you end up losing!  Very wild!

What station/network was this on that you saw it?!