The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 193924 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #2955 on: May 09, 2022, 11:26:32 AM »
So...I'm putting myself back in high school and thinking if this ever happened to me there'd be no way I'd keep quiet about it. I don't get why things happen to people and they keep quiet about it until years later. I had a legitimate quarrel with a school official in my high school years and I went to a school board meeting and brought up the issue. (It was not anything to do with physical abuse.)

Seriously, what happened? Did they do anything about it?

When I was in high school, I had a beef about a class I was assigned to. I asked my mother to call the school. She started to lecture me on standing up for myself, but when she paused, I said, "But, Mother, they never do anything about it unless a parent complains."

A few moments of dead silence. ...

Then, "I guess you're right."

Honestly, that was almost 50 years ago now, and I don't remember how it played out--if my mother called the school, or not--but I think I didn't get changed to another class. The class was only one semester anyway.

(Yes, I called my mother "Mother," not "Mom." )
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 07:38:53 PM by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2956 on: May 09, 2022, 11:27:19 AM »
Anybody watch the derby?

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2957 on: May 09, 2022, 01:17:15 PM »
Lyle, I expect you know about this alread.

https://www.outsports.com/2022/5/9/23064053/los-angeles-dodgers-san-francisco-giants-pride-cap

Didn't watch the Derby, but having such a long shot win meant it must have been exciting. I really haven't watched it since a horse was competing who was owned by a friend of a friend quite a few years ago. He didn't win.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #2958 on: May 09, 2022, 02:07:34 PM »
Didn't watch the Derby, but having such a long shot win meant it must have been exciting. I really haven't watched it since a horse was competing who was owned by a friend of a friend quite a few years ago. He didn't win.

I wasn't paying that much attention until the horses actually ran, but it was pretty amazing to watch Rich Strike pull ahead like he did.

In an interview I saw this morning, the trainer was calling the horse "Richie."  :D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2959 on: May 09, 2022, 02:28:55 PM »
Lyle, I expect you know about this already.

https://www.outsports.com/2022/5/9/23064053/los-angeles-dodgers-san-francisco-giants-pride-cap

^^^

I admit I DID NOT know about this Fritz! I did know L.A.'s Pride Game is on June 3rd with the Mets and if you buy a Pride ticket you get this baseball jersey:

I wish Chris Taylor would come out that night.  :)

The Dodgers wearing the Pride Cap, too, apparently was just announced today and that it will be available to purchase the June 3rd weekend at the stadium as well, while supplies last, of course. (I'm going to try and see if you can get one online.)

On the jersey is #22, which is the year, but it's also Clayton Kershaw's uniform number.

Wish I could go to the San Francisco game for the two Pride cap wearing teams; would be a nice weekend!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 02:42:00 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2960 on: May 09, 2022, 02:34:50 PM »

I should say that most school board meetings weren't attended by the public. And, NO, they didn't do a thing. In fact, they knew I would be there and they kept me waiting until they did everything else imaginable for two hours, or whatever. I think they were hoping I'd leave. Most of this I've put out of my mind and I was just trying to stand up for our class when everyone knew what was happening, and this was a way to get it on record. It was about the school principal's arbitrary issuances being followed blindly when he was just being an a-hole. If I recall correctly!

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #2961 on: May 09, 2022, 02:51:42 PM »

When I was in high school, I had a beef about a class I was assigned to. I asked my mother to call the school. She started to lecture me on standing up for myself, but when she paused, I said, "But, Mother, they never do anything about it unless a parent complains."

A few moments of dead silence. ...

Then, "I guess you're right."

Honestly, that was almost 50 years ago now, and I don't remember how it played out--if my mother called the school, or not--but I think I didn't get changed to another class. The class was only one semester anyway.

(Yes, I called my mother "Mother," not "Mom." )

We called our mom 'Mother' as well. But we called my dad ''Daddy'
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2962 on: May 18, 2022, 10:18:32 AM »
Occasionally I mention the names of baseball teams, other than MLB teams, when their team names are unusual, weird, amusing or what have you. Today I came across this line in an article: "On Tuesday afternoon, the Tulsa Drillers slugged nine dingers against the Amarillo Sod Poodles."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #2963 on: May 18, 2022, 10:32:49 AM »
So, I did a bit of research to see how that name was chosen. According to an article about the team which came to be in 2018, I read this: "Sod poodle is apparently an old-fashioned nickname for a prairie dog*, and the name was 'designed to cause a ruckus,' says the sports-marketing company that helped create it."

*Although the article also says: "Supposedly, sod poodle is an archaic nickname for a prairie dog, although no one but people with the baseball team seems to have ever heard it before."

The five finalists were the Long Haulers, the Bronc Busters, the Boot Scooters, the Jerky and the Sod Poodles.

(I kinda like the Boot Scooters.)

The marketing company's head (Klein) has worked with dozens of minor league ball clubs, and his company has a penchant for outlandish names, including the Hartford Yard Goats, the Binghamton Rumble Ponies and, most recently, the Rocket City Trash Pandas. He says it’s all part of a strategy. “People always ask us, ‘Isn’t it the worst thing when someone hates what you create?’ and we say, ‘No. The worst thing is if they’re apathetic about it,'” Klein says.

The Sod Poodle's logo:

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #2964 on: May 18, 2022, 10:55:18 AM »
Why not?

But I had to look at the logo closely to figure out which was the nose end.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."