The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 338096 times)

Online fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #3090 on: August 03, 2022, 09:17:26 AM »
Fascinating. His stance on vaxing might be subject to change.

https://www.joemygod.com/2022/08/anti-vax-mlb-star-gets-traded-to-vax-mandate-toronto/

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3091 on: August 03, 2022, 11:49:09 AM »
That's very funny, Fritz. To me it is. Makes you wonder if the team trading him there did it on purpose.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3092 on: August 03, 2022, 11:54:35 AM »
So I read that article and the player being traded is Whit Merrifield from the Royals. I'm surprised they did that, he's one of their best players, but as we know when players are in a certain spot they have more value.

So Jonn, if you pop in here, what do you think about this trade?

And hold on to your hat:

Eric Hosmer Was Traded Twice on the Same Day

The veteran first baseman had the right to reject his inclusion in the Soto swap by the Padres, and he did just that. So San Diego turned around and sent him to the Red Sox, who weren’t on his no-trade list, for a couple prospects, including infielder Max Ferguson, Boston’s fifth-round pick from 2021.

Alas, the Padres were unable to move the money attached to Hosmer (about $46 million through three years). But we’d say they still had a pretty good day.

______

Jonn might disagree with that!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3093 on: August 03, 2022, 01:20:25 PM »
I was reading this MLB article: Hear Vin Scully’s Most Legendary Calls
Here are Scully's top 20 calls from 67 years in the booth, as voted upon by Dodgers fans.
https://www.mlb.com/news/vin-scully-greatest-calls

In 2016, the year he would be retiring, fans voted on Vin Scully's most legendary calls for the Dodgers in his 67 seasons doing so! I looked down the list to find that I was at two of these games that are featured on this list!

Sixty-seven seasons of games to choose Vin's legendary calls from and I got to see two of them. Ironically, that means that during these games I did NOT hear Vin Scully broadcasting them! So it was a treat to revisit these. I was with my friend Mark Thomson, whom I went to many games a year with for quite a long span of years. (Lost to cancer in 2018.) One of these games was a birthday gift to him from me and we attended on September 18, 2006, the day after his birthday. The other game his brother was visiting from Britain, and came with us that day and, because his brother was visiting, we took photos that day, May 22, 1999. (I also remember going to the game on 9/9/99 that year.)

Call #15:  Dodgers hit four straight homers in the ninth, Nomar Garciaparra's 10th-inning homer wins it!
https://www.mlb.com/video/vin-scully-top-20-15-4-1-hrs-c1099594883

Call #20:  Big Mac crushes a homer completely out of Dodger Stadium in 1999.
https://www.mlb.com/video/vin-scully-top-20-20-mcgwire-c1045907783

Mark and I had seen the game where Mike Piazza had hit a ball out of the stadium, too. Up until around 2015, we could say (and did!) "Only three players have ever hit the ball completely out of Dodger Stadium and we were there for two of them!"

Willie Stargell of the pirates did it first. Then Piazza (1997) and McGwire (1999). In 2015 Giancarlo Stanton (Marlins, now with Yankees) did it and in 2021 Fernando Tatis, Jr. did it (Padres). So only one Dodger has done it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 01:38:06 PM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Online killersmom

• AUNTIE
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • It's me.
« Reply #3094 on: August 03, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »
^^^^^ What great memories, Lyle! Thanks for sharing them!
"Life can only be understood backwards. Unfortunately, it must be lived forward."
... Kierkegaard

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3095 on: August 03, 2022, 03:25:15 PM »
Thanks, Linda, I appreciate this forum here to be able to do such a thing, too! I do not have a lot of baseball fans in my circle of friends. Or square of friends? Heh!  Or pink triangle of friends, lol!

A lot of my friends are not at all interested in any sports. Even of the "big event" variety like the Olympics.

And parades seem to also be a huge turnoff. Even the Pride ones. Or the Rose Parade!

???

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3096 on: August 03, 2022, 04:36:41 PM »
I love parades! But then, I'm from Noo Awlins.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3097 on: August 03, 2022, 06:05:58 PM »
Interestingly, of all the photos I've seen today of people remembering Vin Scully in different ways, this one of a tribute at the base of a mural got to me for some reason:

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3098 on: August 05, 2022, 06:02:25 PM »
^^^
ETA (can't find the photo; it's disappeared)  :(

___

MLB article about Maybelle (as seen in TDS) and the new League of Their Own series:

Maybelle Blair on Coming Out at 95
https://www.mlb.com/news/maybelle-blair-on-coming-out-at-95-and-a-new-league-of-their-own

Maybelle Blair had been living with a secret. For 95 years, the professional baseball player in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League and lifelong women's baseball advocate had kept a crucial piece of herself hidden away -- afraid of the consequences and hate she'd receive if she admitted who she was publicly.

“I hid for 95 years, trying to hide my gayness,” Blair told me in a recent Zoom interview, her signature white bouffant and sport goggles on, her baseball bat cane hooked behind her chair. “It was hard during my period, because we'd be either fired from our jobs or we would be discharged from service. It was just things that we just couldn't do. We couldn't live our lives.”
« Last Edit: August 12, 2022, 11:00:00 AM by Lyle (Mooska) »

Offline Flyboy

• A gentle word will calm the wrath...
  • Obsessed
« Reply #3099 on: August 05, 2022, 06:07:19 PM »
Lyle, of COURSE, I LOVE Eric Hosmer, wherever he is...........LORDY!! What a MAN, no? Gracious, articulate as always! Just a lovely human being.........to me anyway! That he started with Boston in KC is perfect to me, he gets a 'sorta' standing ovation before DOING anything.........gotta LOVE HIM!!  ;D :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3101 on: August 07, 2022, 12:09:41 PM »
Fritz, heh! How did that come to your attention?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3102 on: August 07, 2022, 12:10:59 PM »

Jonn, the Dodgers are coming to Kansas City in a few days, I'm sure you'll give them a royal welcome!

Online fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3103 on: August 07, 2022, 12:32:12 PM »
Fritz, heh! How did that come to your attention?

It was on the Gay Nats fans page on Facebook!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3104 on: August 07, 2022, 01:10:43 PM »

Danke!  :D