The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II  (Read 218175 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
Re: Sports: Football, Baseball, Bball, Hockey, Etc. Vol. II
« Reply #3150 on: September 12, 2022, 04:56:04 PM »
Ice sounds cool.  :)

Goes well in scotch.  ;D

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3151 on: September 14, 2022, 03:50:55 PM »

A group called NO WIN released an album, not quite a month ago, with a title that drew my attention:

The group's lead, Danny Nogueiras, says the album started coming to life early in the pandemic, but instead of letting that negativity manifest itself as gloom, he inadvertently found himself making art as a way to boost morale. The California lifestyle had an impact on the album, which takes its name from the baseball stadium where the Los Angeles Dodgers play. “It’s always been this center of culture in Northeast LA for me,” he says of the landmark. “In the past year, while we were making this record, I was there at least once a week for COVID testing. I got vaccinated there. I got to vote against Donald Trump there.” The arena became a symbol of hope for Nogueiras and the group as they yearned for the return of live shows.

I listened to two songs from it, "Where You From?" and "Hit the Line." Can't say I know much about the current music scene in most regards, and a lot of times I check out the weekly new artists on SNL and can barely listen to them, so I usually don't, so at most I can say about these two songs is that "I did listen to them." I liked that they were upbeat and, what's most important to me in music these days, "I could actually understand the lyrics!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3152 on: September 17, 2022, 10:52:35 AM »
Carl Nassib is what he wanted to be: just another NFL player

By Cyd Zeigler - Sep 15, 2022

And at the same time, he’s just like everyone else in the NFL.

The outside linebacker for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers was signed late in the preseason, played some snaps, and made an appearance in the team’s Week 1 Sunday Night Football dominance of the Dallas Cowboys.

Absent from said appearance was anything about him being a trailblazing out gay athlete.

There were no rainbow flags, no special TV package about him being gay. He was a substitute coming off the bench. That was it.

Many have speculated that gay athletes stay in the closet in part because they don’t want to be known as “they gay athlete.”

Nassib is showing them that after some fanfare, gay athletes are just another guy on the roster.

We’ve been told for years that gay athletes in big-time men’s pro sports will create a “media circus” for his team, that somehow being out will undermine the title championships of the team that plays an out gay athlete.

https://www.outsports.com/2022/9/15/23354117/carl-nassib-nfl-player-tampa-bay-buccaneers-roster-play

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3153 on: September 17, 2022, 10:59:16 AM »
Hope it works out well for him.

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3154 on: September 17, 2022, 12:43:23 PM »
Yes, indeed!

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3155 on: September 22, 2022, 11:21:37 AM »
Fritz, I know you wished the Nationals hadn't traded away Juan Soto so easily this year. I was reading an article of crazy statistics from this current baseball season and here's one you might take raise your eyebrows at:

21 - the number of extra-base hits for Nationals first baseman/outfielder Joey Meneses. The Nats made the biggest trade of the year when they sent both Juan Soto and Josh Bell to the Padres, and Meneses -- a 30-year-old journeyman Minor Leaguer -- was one of the players they called up to fill out the lineup. Turns out, 40 games later, Meneses has more extra-base hits than Soto and Bell have for the Padres -- combined (18)!

I say, good for Joey Meneses!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3156 on: September 22, 2022, 11:30:02 AM »
Yep! And so it goes.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3157 on: September 22, 2022, 11:30:17 AM »
Last night my favorite bear cub Kyle Schwarber got his 40th HR for this season.  :)

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3158 on: September 22, 2022, 12:49:24 PM »
Last night my favorite bear cub Kyle Schwarber got his 40th HR for this season.  :)

I read today that he has the second most in MLB this year. Aaron Judge is trying to break Roger Maris' Yankees record of 61* in a season. He has 60!

P.S.: I've always found Aaron Judge a little creepy. Why? Don't have a good reason, I just feel that way when I see him.

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3159 on: September 22, 2022, 12:49:53 PM »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• Obsessed
« Reply #3160 on: September 22, 2022, 01:11:32 PM »

I read today that he has the second most in MLB this year. Aaron Judge is trying to break Roger Maris' Yankees record of 61* in a season. He has 60!

I heard something about Aaron Judge on TV last night, but I don't remember the details. I know it had something to do with breaking the record.

They showed film of Schwarber hitting his 40th. The way that ball took off when his bat connected with it, you just knew that was number 40.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • Official Diner "Recapper"!
« Reply #3161 on: September 22, 2022, 04:17:04 PM »

History was made at the US International Classic competition last week.

US skater Ilia Malinin became the first person ever to land a quad Axel jump.  He also was the first person to land a triple Lutz - triple Axel combination.

Here is a link to the video on YouTube.  The quad Axel happens just after the 1:00 mark.   The combination happens just after 3:35 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI0J-a9fPTw

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?

Offline Lyle (Mooska)

• Obsessed
« Reply #3163 on: September 23, 2022, 10:00:23 AM »
^^^

I wasn't sure if you'd get my reference!

Offline fritzkep

• Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #3164 on: September 23, 2022, 12:00:45 PM »
^^^

I wasn't sure if you'd get my reference!

Yep! Lloyd Dobyns used the same catchphrase.