The Ultimate Brokeback Forum

Author Topic: Diamonds in youtube's rough  (Read 12993 times)

Offline Sara B

• Obsessed
Re: Diamonds in youtube's rough
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2018, 10:30:03 AM »
Nice post, Michelle. I think I share many of your thoughts.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
  • A Star is Born 1979-2008
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
Nice post, Michelle. I think I share many of your thoughts.

Oh wow, this just makes my day! Thanks a lot for saying so, Sara.

love to you
I know a love that will never grow old.

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
  • An ant, crawling across infinity
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2018, 12:25:36 PM »
    From Beginning to End Part 1 with English subtitles :43min.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ptizk

From Beginning to End Part 2 with English subtitles :53min.
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5q2cgu

I love reading everyone's interesting comments and thoughts. I appreciate that we can discuss rarely talked about subjects. It opens my heart and that feels good!   :)

Amen, Michelle. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but I got sidetracked by a certain book that I won't name, but you might get a clue if you look in the Call Me By Your Name thread.

Although I will admit to fast-forwarding through this movie, I did not wish, for no particular reason, to dedicate one hour to watch it. I still would like to share a few thoughts.

C'est dommage! I will pm you a few really good (and funny) clips. Only a few minutes worth, but too good to miss.

The term used, in the videos I saw a few months ago re long lost relatives making a life together as a couple, was genetic attraction, which is obviously an inexplicable and strong attraction.

Interesting. Haven't heard that before.

A question that arises for me is 'who are they harming?'. People do not have to like or approve of what others do. Two beings that long to be together will find a way to do so. The couples in the videos did just that; they moved where no one knew them  and lived in secrecy. Living on the run is a difficult way to live.

I had two distant cousins (both dead now) who were lesbians. Both had partners with whom they lived openly. They worked and socialized, just like their straight friends, and so far as I know, never encountered bad reactions. Their friends and our family all knew and accepted their relationships. One was from 1940-1980, the other 1960-2000. In both cases their relationships were still intact when they passed away from natural causes. My point is, it doesn't have to be secret, and it isn't new.

What would be the reason for anyone wanting any of this stopped? I think the driving force is fear, and the thought that 'if society makes these relationships permissible and acceptable, everyone will start doing it'. I do not think it works that way.

I dunno. I suspect most of our prejudices come from sweet old mommy and daddy, reinforced by the rest of the family. Remember South Pacific: "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught"...

Hidden Kisses 4 Scope of the Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-IwtInqeo

Another thing that was brought up in those videos was that such relationships are probably happening more often than realized when children of anonymous sperm bank donors unknowingly couple with siblings.

Oh, that's a bit of an eye-opener. I wonder how far sperm banks/fertilization clinics go to prevent such accidents....?

The intent for me here is not to justify these relationships for I personally see no need to do that. But these facts are interesting and can possibly help shed light on the topic. If acceptance and openness can give someone, that is not harming anyone, more peace and love, I say bring it on. Like that.

Great post, Michelle.

~~~fia
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline fritzkep

• German Louisiana Virginia Dude
  • Global Moderator
  • Obsessed
  • Wie geht's, y'all?
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »

Oh, that's a bit of an eye-opener. I wonder how far sperm banks/fertilization clinics go to prevent such accidents....?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rIKIvZVj7M

Werd ich zum Augenblicke sagen, "Verweile doch! Du bist so schön..."

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
And why are we shown this trivial detail? Because that truck carries the most important cargo of our puny lives:  love and hope.

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed

Offline foreverinawe

• Expert
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2018, 01:55:11 PM »
Alright, enough of this jocularity and frivolty.
Let's sober up and act our age!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqE_WmagjY

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »

:laugh:

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2018, 02:37:32 PM »
I love reading everyone's interesting comments and thoughts. I appreciate that we can discuss rarely talked about subjects. It opens my heart and that feels good!   :)

Amen, Michelle. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply, but I got sidetracked by a certain book that I won't name, but you might get a clue if you look in the Call Me By Your Name thread.

Although I will admit to fast-forwarding through this movie, I did not wish, for no particular reason, to dedicate one hour to watch it. I still would like to share a few thoughts.

C'est dommage! I will pm you a few really good (and funny) clips. Only a few minutes worth, but too good to miss.

The term used, in the videos I saw a few months ago re long lost relatives making a life together as a couple, was genetic attraction, which is obviously an inexplicable and strong attraction.

Interesting. Haven't heard that before.

A question that arises for me is 'who are they harming?'. People do not have to like or approve of what others do. Two beings that long to be together will find a way to do so. The couples in the videos did just that; they moved where no one knew them  and lived in secrecy. Living on the run is a difficult way to live.

I had two distant cousins (both dead now) who were lesbians. Both had partners with whom they lived openly. They worked and socialized, just like their straight friends, and so far as I know, never encountered bad reactions. Their friends and our family all knew and accepted their relationships. One was from 1940-1980, the other 1960-2000. In both cases their relationships were still intact when they passed away from natural causes. My point is, it doesn't have to be secret, and it isn't new.

What would be the reason for anyone wanting any of this stopped? I think the driving force is fear, and the thought that 'if society makes these relationships permissible and acceptable, everyone will start doing it'. I do not think it works that way.

I dunno. I suspect most of our prejudices come from sweet old mommy and daddy, reinforced by the rest of the family. Remember South Pacific: "You've Got To Be Carefully Taught"...

Hidden Kisses 4 Scope of the Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D-IwtInqeo

Another thing that was brought up in those videos was that such relationships are probably happening more often than realized when children of anonymous sperm bank donors unknowingly couple with siblings.

The intent for me here is not to justify these relationships for I personally see no need to do that. But these facts are interesting and can possibly help shed light on the topic. If acceptance and openness can give someone, that is not harming anyone, more peace and love, I say bring it on. Like that.

Great post, Michelle.

~~~fia

Thank you fia for your great feedback and comments. I am very happy for your distant cousins. Yay for them for choosing to live authentically and freely!!

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »

:laugh: :laugh: That group of comedians sure had a good time doing what they did so well!

Offline CellarDweller115

• Faithful Friend
  • Administrator
  • Obsessed
  • twiddle your spaghetti
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
Over the years I have watched TONS of figure skating performances.    Some are great, some are not, and some stay with you.

This is one that stays with me, and I go to frequently.  It was performed in 2003, and I still get chills when I see it.

It was broadcast on Russian TV, it was the exhibition for the Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final.  Sasha Cohen was one of the top US skaters at the time.

The program was to the music of Romeo & Juliet, composed by Nino Rota.   Sasha does only 3 jumps during the program, using the rest of the choreography to showcase her steady spins and spirals, where she glides across the ice on one foot, the other leg extended towards the ceiling.

One of her coaches had said "I've never seen her hit an ugly pose" and I truly believe that statement.

While the whole thing is great to watch, two specific moments to watch for.  Just past the 3:30 mark, she does a move called a "Charlotte spiral", and her final spin ends in an "I spin" position.

The opening commentary is in Russian, but they stop speaking at the 45 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz4MUM3Qn_k

Offline morrobay

• Quiet Storm
  • Obsessed
  • ...suspended above ordinary affairs...
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2018, 06:52:45 PM »
That was gorgeous, Chuck.  She is so talented.  And I must say that I found it so enjoyable to watch it without the commentators talking.  The US commentators just cannot be quiet and let the home audience enjoy the music and the skater. 

Offline Gazapete

• Lost in Translation
  • Obsessed
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2018, 12:15:06 AM »
That's beautiful, Chuck. It must be an exhilarating feeling to be able to fly over the ice like that.

Offline heavenonearth

• Loyal HEATHEN
  • Obsessed
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2018, 04:06:24 AM »
Absolutely stunning, Chuck. I had goosies from the expression on her face - wow - as the first note of music played. Waves of goosies continued all the way through. That piece of music is beautiful.

Thanks for sharing.